TerrEnce not TerrAnce Lewis 1.0 - 5.0 (merged) - Picks Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "full ride" has never really been the issue (at least for kids who report in the Fall), since they get the scholarship one day later (the scholarship can be awarded one day after FALL CAMP starts, which is usually before classes start anyhow, in a normal non-Covid year). In the past, the sticking point was always the "no official visit, no official in-home coaches visit".

That's pretty much my question. Since the staff wasn't chasing T2 due to the (unfounded) character concerns, I was curious as to whether he's ever had an official in-home or was offered a scholly? From what I gather, the staff hasn't (maybe that's changed in the last month) so it seems he would be technically eligible for a blue shirt. Now whether he'd actually accept a blue shirt is a completely separate question.

Advertisement
That's pretty much my question. Since the staff wasn't chasing T2 due to the (unfounded) character concerns, I was curious as to whether he's ever had an official in-home or was offered a scholly? From what I gather, the staff hasn't (maybe that's changed in the last month) so it seems he would be technically eligible for a blue shirt. Now whether he'd actually accept a blue shirt is a completely separate question.

It is my understanding that you cannot have:

a. Official visit (none so far)
b. In-home (none so far)
c. National Letter of Intent prior to the day-after-fall-camp-opens

I think it is OK to "verbally" say you are going to a school, but you can't have anything in writing. And, yes, the NCAA is (accidentally) making it much easier to blueshirt kids due to the (nearly) year-long dead period. LOTS of kids haven't taken official visits or had in-homes. Yet.

Y'all talking as if y'all know for a fact he'll qualify here. I'm not as concerned about the "character issues" anymore. What's more important are the grades... But to clarify, YES I want him in this class and do feel like we need him. But I also don't think it's as simple as "if Manny wants him".

It is my understanding that you cannot have:

a. Official visit (none so far)
b. In-home (none so far)
c. National Letter of Intent prior to the day-after-fall-camp-opens

I think it is OK to "verbally" say you are going to a school, but you can't have anything in writing. And, yes, the NCAA is (accidentally) making it much easier to blueshirt kids due to the (nearly) year-long dead period. LOTS of kids haven't taken official visits or had in-homes. Yet.

Terrific info. Thanks. From the earlier posts it sounded like his pops really wants him home and said if T2 received a Miami offer he'd likely accept quickly. If he's that enthusiastic, maybe he'd consider a blueshirt. Of course that scenario is only relevant if Miami fills up the class with the remaining 2 ICs, which I assume are earmarked for Garcia and another CB (TBD). I'd love for Maason Smith to be in the class (if so, drop the CB unless he's elite and go find one in the portal), but I don't think we're that lucky. We might not end up with Garcia and Smith is an extreme long shot, so I can see that the last two ICs would be for a 2nd CB and T2.

Advertisement
NIL is going to be HIGHLY regulated. The process will used "fair market value" of services such as "spokesman" and "endorser". The NIL cannot be arranged by the school itself. NIL money has to be approved IN ADVANCE of actually being paid.

Have these regulations been established, or are they proposed regulations at this point? Also, have they been published anywhere? Would love to see what the framework actually looks like.

Advertisement
That's a great point. This shouldn't even be a discussion. If Diaz can't close this deal he is a total fraud. There is no reason that Terrence Lewis should wear any other uniform but ours. No reason at all! Nada! Nothing! Zilch! Zero!

Except that Thomas and this kid are two completely different human beings with two completely different sets of circumstances.

Lumping them together in the "problem kid" box to justify this action or the other is pretty simplisitic.

We need TL and he is a perfect fit here. I'll go out of my way to say that if Diaz doesn't get TL then he is a joke and won't last here. All the headcase stuff regarding TL has been debunked. You do not turn down talent like this ever! I'm confident that Lewis will be a Cane!

BTW that's IG post was from 28 Sept. A little bit old. Hopefully the enthusiasm is still there. Is his pops mentioning that his son is just waiting on the Miami offer as a ploy to get Tennessee to improve their offer? Who knows. In any case Miami has nothing to lose (except the possibility of a blueshirt) by offering.

Have these regulations been established, or are they proposed regulations at this point? Also, have they been published anywhere? Would love to see what the framework actually looks like.

"Basic" rules have been expressed (the ones I referred to, such as using "fair market value" and not allowing universities to "arrange" things).

I'd imagine that the PROCEDURES are being drafted now, in time for the Fall 2021 rollout.

I would be willing to bet big money that the REGULATIONS will be ongoing, it is hard to predict/prepare for every possible money-making scheme that comes down the pike before they even happen.

I expect there to be "safe harbor" guidelines on standard stuff, like autograph signings (i.e., just because Ohio Taint has a huge alum/fan base should not meant that "fair market value" of an autograph signing is $1 million in Columbus, but only $1,000 for a UM player in Coral Gables). If the first few cases establish a precedent, there might be some "acceptable dollar-amount" movement as new cases arise.

Other things, such as commercials/endorsements/spokesman deals will be evaluated based on a host of factors, such as industry (car dealer vs. a local restaurant), market size, comparable-market-payments-for-similar-services, etc.

The interwebz stuff (influencers, social medias, web traffic, etc.) will probably be a bit weird at first, so the initial cases will probably establish precedent.

And then I expect some standardization on things like "getting a cut of the jersey sales and/or NCAA video game royalties".

In short, this will be a lot like how the legal system works. You can make rules, but rules don't cover everything. You can establish frameworks, but they may need some tinkering. And the cases that arise first will likely lead to precedential guidance for future cases.

Advertisement

The fact that some SEC fans dont acknowledge bagmen is a joke.
That entire article and what came after it was a diversion.
If you think some “fans” are scrounging around selling old lake boats to drop a brown bag off somewhere then your living in the pony expresss days of smu.
This bag game is way more sophisticated now and the NCAA gives zero fcks.
Agents and financial advisors are involved. Paper trail be damned.

The NCAA isn’t gonna start spending legal fees so they can get sent down some legal and financial rabbit hold that will single handedly
damage the same people that they make them money.

That entire article and what came after it was a diversion.
If you think some “fans” are scrounging around selling old lake boats to drop a brown bag off somewhere then your living in the pony expresss days of smu.
This bag game is way more sophisticated now and the NCAA gives zero fcks.
Agents and financial advisors are involved. Paper trail be damned.

The NCAA isn’t gonna start spending legal fees so they can get sent down some legal and financial rabbit hold that will single handedly
damage the same people that they make them money.
the last time the ncaa tried to go down hard on a massive bagman scheme by a bigger program (ours), they embarrassed themselves so bad it reduced our penalty

Advertisement
the last time the ncaa tried to go down hard on a massive bagman scheme by a bigger program (ours), they embarrassed themselves so bad it reduced our penalty
Yes, the issue there is he was a flashy lil jock sniffing twerp. Who ran out on the field during night games and did photo shoots with the president. He didn’t play by the rules. The same problem in the 90s. People in Miami gonna Miami. That ****es off everyone outside of tri-county in FL and the entire south. You know, those people that are in charge of the NCAA.

Yes, the issue there is he was a flashy lil jock sniffing twerp. Who ran out on the field during night games and did photo shoots with the president. He didn’t play by the rules. The same problem in the 90s. People in Miami gonna Miami. That ****es off everyone outside of tri-county in FL and the entire south. You know, those people that are in charge of the NCAA.
truth is, even if shapiro would have behaved like a modern bagman, he would have been exposed anyway.

his ponzi scheme stuff came before we got invested. dude is just a massive dirtbag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back