Temple

it's simultaneously funny and pathetic to see the last few remaining Golden cheerleaders show up in this thread to attempt to convince people that Golden did something good at Temple. He beat bad teams, some of which weren't even division 1. He proceeded to lose to every team with half a pulse , thereby not improving Temples place whatsoever in the college football landscape .

Again....we've got some class A major *** kissing Don Bailey Jr wannabes still floating around this site

Funny how a few of those "lean-fire the ******" folks at the end of last season are somehow dragged via inertia back over to the unicorns, rainbows, and Al Golden-as-a-good-coach type of fantasy thinking during the offseason. Happens every year, but really the changes to this website don't exactly help. I miss negging.

Advertisement
At Temple Al had an overall record of being a looser...Meaning he lost more games than he won...How the BOT could hand him the "U" head coaching job for one winning season is beyond belief..

Temple moved to the MAC
Golden had a bigger budget
Golden had the most talented team in the MAC
Easier schedule (deliberately done not just by joining the MAC)

The deliberate dumbing down of the schedule by golden is the answer. Look at the below SOS, it wasn't just cause temple moved to the MAC but golden intentionally made the schedule easier to win more games. The ones he lost were to teams that had equal or greater talent or coaching.

If if the above sounds familiar it's cause golden has done the same with our schedule and gotten the same results he did at temple. He's not a good coach, he just knows how to make his job a little easier.

In 2002 temples SOS was 47th
in 2003 65th or so
In 2004 60th or so
In 2005 Temple was 18th in SOS. Bobby Wallace was still their HC
In 2006 they were 67th or so. Al Goldens first year
In 2007 they were 115th
In 2008 they were 96th
In 2009 when golden won 9 games they had an SOS of 119 out of 120
In 2010 when they won 8 games they were 116th in SOS. Al Goldens last year

A) Aren't schedules made years in advance? If so, how much influence could Golden (or any new coach) possibly have on the schedule during his first couple of years?
B) As noted, Temple was only in the BE for 13 years. What was their SOS before their time in the BE? My guess is it was among the worst in the nation....and yet they still rarely won more than 5 or 6 games. So, again, why weren't other Temple coaches able to win against such soft schedules? Why was Golden able to do what only a couple other coaches in the history of Temple were able to do?

I don't see anyone praising him for his body of work at UM. You guys are just so filled with hate you aren't thinking logically. Yes, their schedule got easier because they left the Big East. Our point is that Temple was losing to EVERYONE, including MAC teams they faced. Golden at least made them competitive in the MAC, which is NOT something they would have been before he got there. Period.

Again, he's not winning here and we ALL want to see a winner here. It's just crazy to say he didn't improve Temple, because he did.

Imagine race car driving. With Golden, he was good on the lower circuit, but can't race with the big boys. Just because he can't win with the big boys does not mean he wasn't good on the lower circuit. It just means he doesn't need to be racing with the big boys. We can ALL agree that he hasn't proven he deserves the job at UM after 4 years. Here's hoping this is his last year. Either that, or he wins big. Personally, since I know for a fact he's not getting fired before the season, I DO hope we win 10+ this year. Do I think Golden can accomplish that? No. But for the sake of our players, I hope it happens.

I don't see anyone praising him for his body of work at UM. You guys are just so filled with hate you aren't thinking logically. Yes, their schedule got easier because they left the Big East. Our point is that Temple was losing to EVERYONE, including MAC teams they faced. Golden at least made them competitive in the MAC, which is NOT something they would have been before he got there. Period.

Again, he's not winning here and we ALL want to see a winner here. It's just crazy to say he didn't improve Temple, because he did.

Imagine race car driving. With Golden, he was good on the lower circuit, but can't race with the big boys. Just because he can't win with the big boys does not mean he wasn't good on the lower circuit. It just means he doesn't need to be racing with the big boys. We can ALL agree that he hasn't proven he deserves the job at UM after 4 years. Here's hoping this is his last year. Either that, or he wins big. Personally, since I know for a fact he's not getting fired before the season, I DO hope we win 10+ this year. Do I think Golden can accomplish that? No. But for the sake of our players, I hope it happens.
I have no problem giving him credit for his record at temple. But I also dont think it was/is as impressive as its made out to be.

Advertisement

I have no problem giving him credit for his record at temple. But I also dont think it was/is as impressive as its made out to be.

If you're trying to blame Golden for the drop in Temple's SOS, then it's clear that you do have a problem giving him credit.

Look at all the other MAC teams and you'll see that they all had right around the same SOS, near the bottom of FBS rankings. And Temple also had weak SOS every year before they joined the Big East. Golden had nothing to do with it.

That's fair enough. I think it was a really good turn around, seeing as how pathetic they were. It's too bad he hasn't done it here.

Advertisement
no bowl game wins... idk what sucess he had at temple..

i guess if you want to count that one 9 win season as success

Advertisement
no bowl game wins... idk what sucess he had at temple..

i guess if you want to count that one 9 win season as success

They've only been to 4 bowl games in their entire history, 121 yrs. Golden took them to one of the four.

Take a look at their records through the years. I see only a few seasons where they had a better winning pctg than they did in Golden's last two yrs.

And who the **** is to say that if the worst administration in the country didn't come calling and give that fat piece of **** his big break ...that Golden would have done it again? Winning a beauty pageant made up of really ugly chicks doesn't make you beautiful.

Again...when you're dealing with ****** conferences and a bunch of ****** teams..incremental changes can be magnified out of proportion. I would argue it's a bigger indictment on Golden that it took him that long to get a team in a conference so ripe for any ****** team to rise above the ****tier teams to that 9 win plateau.

And again...look at the teams he beat and who he lost to in that mythical 9 win year. I'll repeat it for the 5,000th time because it's the only piece of information in this entire God forsaken thread that has ANY relevance....he lost to ever team on that schedule with a heartbeat. He didn't take Temple to some new heights or a higher standing in the college football landscape. He simply took garbage at the bottom of the garbage dump and rose it above the garbage that happened to be geographically sitting at the top of the massive pile of garbage.

Which is ironic because that last sentence would be basically be the equivalent of Al Golden's epitaph if you were to contruct the tombstone that is his career once Miami eventually fires him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Listen to these links (#1 thru #4 below) of the 12-13-2010 interview between jorge Sedano and Jason Whitlock and you will know how al golden did what he did at Temple.

Original thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/79159-Revisited-Jason...

On Al Golden as a corch with Jorge Sedano - 12/13/10

#1- Is Al Golden a good coach?
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/files...--12-13-10.mp3

#2 - Al Golden dealing with expectations.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/files...pectations.mp3

#3*- His explanation of Golden's success in the MAC
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/files...--12-13-10.mp3

#4 - Can Golden win in a more ideal football setting like Miami?

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/files...-situation.mp3

Taken from this link
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sedan...on-golden.html

Last edited:
Horrible decision to hire this unproven guy from... Temple. Shalala has f_cked this program over time and time again.... Smh I'm glad her a5S is gone...

Advertisement
Back