Temple

Not buying that the move to the MAC was the whole reason for his success at Temple.

People seem to forget that Temple was only in the BE for, what, 13 years or so. They sucked LONG before the BE ever existed. Take a look at their schedules from the 60s, 70s and early 80s--they basically played a MAC-type schedule littered with opponents like Drake, Akron, Delaware, UL-Lafayette, etc. They'd play an occasional big boy team too, but for the most part, they were a mid-major team that rarely won more than 5 or 6 games in a season. ****, they've only been four bowl games in their entire history--and Golden took them to one of those.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying Golden's a great coach. Just that he got something out of his teams at Temple that not many people there had done previously.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You must forget just how bad Temple was. It wasn't just Big East teams beating them down. It was EVERYONE. No doubt it helped getting out of the Big East, but the MAC would have beaten them 9 times out of 10 back then. Temple was an independent in 2005, and they lost ALL their games. In fact, they got beaten by Bowling Green that year, get this, 70-7. Bowling Green is MAC. In fact, they faced FOUR MAC teams in 2005. They went 0-4 being outscored 172-53. Temple was putrid, Big East, MAC, it didn't matter.
Got into a conversation with my best friend who is a Noles fan. Asked the question "How did Al win at Temple?" Realized that I'd never really thought of it. Serious question, how in gods name did Al turn around the biggest laughing stock in D1 Football and win at Temple?

The biggest reason for turn around at Temple during Al's tenure had nothing to do with him. Temple started to win games once they got thrown out of the Big East due being non competitive. In the Big East they were at a competitive disadvantage playing against schools with a much larger athletic budgets once they moved into the MAC that disparity flipped itself. In the MAC they where the big dog school with greater resources and hence they started winning more and even then they never outright won the MAC.

Too bad Kirby Hocutt didn't examine Goldens resume a little more carefully because if he did he would have realized that the turn around at Temple was all smoke and mirrors.

hes not a bad evaluator of talent and in the mac he isn't coaching against the best coaches so he an get away with a bad scheme. i mean he won 9 games here when morris was playing injured and duke and dorsett were out for the year is when they lost the 4 games. it fell apart. he is not to me an elite coach, would prob do fine in at a mid-major

GTFOH

Anyone who passes on Skai Moore, Talan, Isaiah McKenzie, Juwon Dowels...but takes guys like Danny Dillard and Joe Brown is a bad evaluator of talent.

What does the term Corch mean? I see that alot I know im late.

It originated over on the Grassy.com (scout) Lounge during the Randy Shannon days. Somebody had posted a video of a girl mispronouncing the word "coach" as "corch", and it caught on like wildfire as a new word to define a bad coach.

We gotta find that video. Sooooo funny.

Here you go

Problem is she's talking about Urban winning the MNC at UF. So when she talks about a corch, she's talking about a good coach. Al is not a good coach.

Advertisement
Whitlock laid out the reasons as to why Folden was able to beat the lesser teams in the MAC at Temple in the interview with Sedano right after he was hired here. He also laid out why he is a bad HC. Seek it out, it was spot on.

it's simultaneously funny and pathetic to see the last few remaining Golden cheerleaders show up in this thread to attempt to convince people that Golden did something good at Temple. He beat bad teams, some of which weren't even division 1. He proceeded to lose to every team with half a pulse , thereby not improving Temples place whatsoever in the college football landscape .

Again....we've got some class A major *** kissing Don Bailey Jr wannabes still floating around this site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Temple_Owls_football_team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Temple_Owls_football_team

We're all fed up with him not winning here, but you should look at the schedules and ask yourself which team is better. The 2005 team, from the season before he started, or the 2009 team. We all want to see a coaching change, but to act like Al Golden had nothing to do with their turnaround is dumb. At the very least it is disingenuous. =Jedi Master Cane;2227896]it's simultaneously funny and pathetic to see the last few remaining Golden cheerleaders show up in this thread to attempt to convince people that Golden did something good at Temple. He beat bad teams, some of which weren't even division 1. He proceeded to lose to every team with half a pulse , thereby not improving Temples place whatsoever in the college football landscape .

Again....we've got some class A major *** kissing Don Bailey Jr wannabes still floating around this site[/QUOTE]

Also, just because someone saw real improvement at Temple, it doesn't mean they support him failing here.

Advertisement
Cristobal went 27-47 at FIU.

That's pretty good.

We should hire him next.

ty hilton single handily won them games. he had one good year there as their coach. FYI, people in media and local circles who bash Butch Davis are secretly pushing for Mario to get the job.

Cristobal was a bad coach... Now that's someone who can recruit and evaluate talent but he can't coach or develop talent to save his life... He also loses control of the team... That being said, Golden benefited from an extremely weak schedule... Multiple fcs opponents and even weaker Mac opponents... I think he won 8 games his final year at Temple and they still wasn't invited to a bowl... That shows how weak his schedule was...

Advertisement
Also, just because someone saw real improvement at Temple, it doesn't mean they support him failing here.

I'm going to repeat myself very slowly...

Taking your bad team and beating other bad teams but failing to move the program in any sort of significant direction, even with a glorified high school schedule, isn't "improvement" to anyone with standards. It's a **** of a lot easier to "win" on that scale because any incremental small improvement gives you a chance to squeak by poor football teams...for the love of God look at what Coker is doing with a startup program.

There's a direct correlation at this point between people who fail to see and understand this basic underlying premise and those that still attempt to directly or indirectly support Golden.

Save it...nobody here with an IQ cares.

He's the worst coach in the history of the program and he was a loser walking IN the door. Many of us at the time gave in to blind hope and were so thirsty from the desert that was the twin abominations of Shannon and Coker that we blindly drank the sand that was Alfraud Golden.

The difference is some of us realized it was sand WAYYY before others did...and there's still some sticking a straw in the ground.

Last edited:
We're talking about what he did at TEMPLE here, NOT what he's doing at UM. Read the title of the thread. Does it say, "Al Golden's job at UM"? No. It's about TEMPLE. Now if you can't see the the difference between a team that won 2 games in 3 years and a team that won 9 games, you're not that bright. I get it, you hate him for not giving your life meaning. We ALL get that. Now listen to me very closely. Saying he improved TEMPLE is not saying he is getting the job done here. They are two completely different situations.

Taking your bad team and beating other bad teams but failing to move the program in any sort of significant direction, even with a glorified high school schedule, isn't "improvement" to anyone with standards. It's a **** of a lot easier to "win" on that scale because any incremental small improvement gives you a chance to squeak by poor football teams...for the love of God look at what Coker is doing with a startup program.

There's a direct correlation at this point between people who fail to see and understand this basic underlying premise and those that still attempt to directly or indirectly support Golden.

He's the worst coach in the history of the program and he was a loser walking IN the door. Many of us at the time gave in to blind hope and were so thirsty from the desert that was the twin abominations of Shannon and Coker that we blindly drank the sand that was Alfraud Golden.

The difference is some of us realized it was sand WAYYY before others did...and there's still some sticking a straw in the ground.

Advertisement
We're talking about what he did at TEMPLE here, NOT what he's doing at UM. Read the title of the thread. Does it say, "Al Golden's job at UM"? No. It's about TEMPLE. Now if you can't see the the difference between a team that won 2 games in 3 years and a team that won 9 games, you're not that bright. I get it, you hate him for not giving your life meaning. We ALL get that. Now listen to me very closely. Saying he improved TEMPLE is not saying he is getting the job done here. They are two completely different situations.

Holy Cow

And I wasn't? There's a common theme to the Al Golden novel in BOTH locations. ANY "success" (And holy **** do I use that term loosely) he achieved in EITHER location came as a result of beating the LESSER teams on the schedule. Whether at Temple or at Miami....if he plays against a team with half a pulse he loses. It's what that fat **** does. He's a fraud who's days as a "head coach' are numbered and will go the rout of Randy Shannon in the near future.

Let me know if I need to explain myself further.

Holy Cow

And I wasn't? There's a common theme to the Al Golden novel in BOTH locations. ANY "success" (And holy **** do I use that term loosely) he achieved in EITHER location came as a result of beating the LESSER teams on the schedule. Whether at Temple or at Miami....if he plays against a team with half a pulse he loses. It's what that fat **** does. He's a fraud who's days as a "head coach' are numbered and will go the rout of Randy Shannon in the near future.

Let me know if I need to explain myself further.

Let's take it that you're right in one regard--Golden had some MINOR success at Temple, only because he was able to beat the lesser teams on the schedule.

The question is--why couldn't other coaches at Temple beat those lesser teams? Again, their schedules throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s were primarily weak teams. The only time during which they played a "big time" schedule was for the 13 years they were in the Big East. So, would it be fair to say that Golden was better than nearly every coach in the history of Temple?

Not that it means much--it's like being the tallest midget. But the point remains that he had a level of success at Temple that only one or two other coaches in their history had.

IMO, that's the only thing Thomas M or myself are saying.

There is no defense of Golden's coaching at UM. He has been an unmitigated disaster.

Temple moved to the MAC
Golden had a bigger budget
Golden had the most talented team in the MAC
Easier schedule (deliberately done not just by joining the MAC)

The deliberate dumbing down of the schedule by golden is the answer. Look at the below SOS, it wasn't just cause temple moved to the MAC but golden intentionally made the schedule easier to win more games. The ones he lost were to teams that had equal or greater talent or coaching.

If if the above sounds familiar it's cause golden has done the same with our schedule and gotten the same results he did at temple. He's not a good coach, he just knows how to make his job a little easier.

In 2002 temples SOS was 47th
in 2003 65th or so
In 2004 60th or so
In 2005 Temple was 18th in SOS. Bobby Wallace was still their HC
In 2006 they were 67th or so. Al Goldens first year
In 2007 they were 115th
In 2008 they were 96th
In 2009 when golden won 9 games they had an SOS of 119 out of 120
In 2010 when they won 8 games they were 116th in SOS. Al Goldens last year

Advertisement
Back