Temple

ball915

All-American
Got into a conversation with my best friend who is a Noles fan. Asked the question "How did Al win at Temple?" Realized that I'd never really thought of it. Serious question, how in gods name did Al turn around the biggest laughing stock in D1 Football and win at Temple?

Advertisement
Luck.

Not the best argument. All things taken into account, the only reasonable explanation. A perfect alignment of the stars:

hes not a bad evaluator of talent and in the mac he isn't coaching against the best coaches so he an get away with a bad scheme. i mean he won 9 games here when morris was playing injured and duke and dorsett were out for the year is when they lost the 4 games. it fell apart. he is not to me an elite coach, would prob do fine in at a mid-major

Got into a conversation with my best friend who is a Noles fan. Asked the question "How did Al win at Temple?" Realized that I'd never really thought of it. Serious question, how in gods name did Al turn around the biggest laughing stock in D1 Football and win at Temple?

The biggest reason for turn around at Temple during Al's tenure had nothing to do with him. Temple started to win games once they got thrown out of the Big East due being non competitive. In the Big East they were at a competitive disadvantage playing against schools with a much larger athletic budgets once they moved into the MAC that disparity flipped itself. In the MAC they where the big dog school with greater resources and hence they started winning more and even then they never outright won the MAC.

Too bad Kirby Hocutt didn't examine Goldens resume a little more carefully because if he did he would have realized that the turn around at Temple was all smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:
Pimp is on point. Golden benefitted from Temple going to the MAC from the Big East, yet he never won the MAC.

I suggest finding the Jason Whitlock piece where he talks about al golden. I guarantee if you listen to that piece, you'll be blown away. It was like Whitlock predicted UM's future when they hired golden.

Advertisement
Pimp is on point. Golden benefitted from Temple going to the MAC from the Big East, yet he never won the MAC.

I suggest finding the Jason Whitlock piece where he talks about al golden. I guarantee if you listen to that piece, you'll be blown away. It was like Whitlock predicted UM's future when they hired golden.

agree. golden can't win big games. I'm just praying for butch return. However, that big east to mac thing is a Omar Kelly line. Temple was in the big east and having recruiting battles with I-AA schools like hofstra and villanova so that line about them having big east talent in the mac in not accurate. also, temple is not a school with great resources, they played at the eagles stadium forever and its in a horrible neighborhood.

Al Gorlden has never won 10 games in a single season as a head corch.

WGAF what he did at South Philly CC?

You have a best friend that is a Noles fan!?!?!? How could you man? Kick him to the curb and find a new one.

Advertisement
Just lousy schedule. Alverage's record at temple vs. teams with winning records was 4-25 and one of which was FCS team. Pathetic.

Just lousy schedule. Alverage's record at temple vs. teams with winning records was 4-25 and one of which was FCS team. Pathetic.

This is it.. With Al it's always about the schedule always has been always will be. Beats the horrible teams loses to any team with a pulse.

This is it.. With Al it's always about the schedule always has been always will be. Beats the horrible teams loses to any team with a pulse.

This, i think i read somewhere he hasnt beat a team that finished with more then 9 wins? Dont have the time to look it up but that would be staggering and actually doesnt sound too far off base.

Advertisement
Go back and look at the teams that piece of garbage beat in his mythical "9 win" season at temple and you'll have your answer . Similar to his time at Miami he lost to any team on the schedule with a pulse . He basically made temple the prettiest fat girl

Advertisement
Combined with the move to the MAC and the school throwing more money into the program - it was the perfect storm for Al Golden to succeed.

What does the term Corch mean? I see that alot I know im late.

It originated over on the Grassy.com (scout) Lounge during the Randy Shannon days. Somebody had posted a video of a girl mispronouncing the word "coach" as "corch", and it caught on like wildfire as a new word to define a bad coach.

hes not a bad evaluator of talent and in the mac he isn't coaching against the best coaches so he an get away with a bad scheme. i mean he won 9 games here when morris was playing injured and duke and dorsett were out for the year is when they lost the 4 games. it fell apart. he is not to me an elite coach, would prob do fine in at a mid-major

GTFOH

Advertisement
Back