Temple to build a football stadium

UM's endowment is almost half a billion dollars larger than Temple's too. I'm not interested in some shill for the admin and/or Shalala rolling out that stale definition of what an endowment is why that figure is inexplicably not reflective at all of our ability to pursue a stadium. At the end of that day it DOES reflect the overall economic power of your institution.

You know what would appease the fanbase? UM actively exploring and showing public desire to do something at Tropical Park or a realistic joint venture with Beckham. Instead we get total passivity always accompanied by copout talk like "We're always open to any ideas that'd improve our gameday experience...". It's just not a real priority which is completely different from not being feasible or even reasonable.

I am pretty sure that the universities endowment cannot be used for building a football stadium...but honestly I am not 100% certain of that.

That is true for the vast majority of endowment funds. Most endowment funds are earmarked for specific purposes and can't be used for other things. Some of the endowment funds are "unrestricted," but there's no way in **** that UM would take 200 mil+ out of their endowment (that'd be about 1/5th of the entire endowment) to build a stadium.

Advertisement
UM's endowment is almost half a billion dollars larger than Temple's too. I'm not interested in some shill for the admin and/or Shalala rolling out that stale definition of what an endowment is why that figure is inexplicably not reflective at all of our ability to pursue a stadium. At the end of that day it DOES reflect the overall economic power of your institution.

You know what would appease the fanbase? UM actively exploring and showing public desire to do something at Tropical Park or a realistic joint venture with Beckham. Instead we get total passivity always accompanied by copout talk like "We're always open to any ideas that'd improve our gameday experience...". It's just not a real priority which is completely different from not being feasible or even reasonable.

I am pretty sure that the universities endowment cannot be used for building a football stadium...but honestly I am not 100% certain of that.

That is true for the vast majority of endowment funds. Most endowment funds are earmarked for specific purposes and can't be used for other things. Some of the endowment funds are "unrestricted," but there's no way in **** that UM would take 200 mil+ out of their endowment (that'd be about 1/5th of the entire endowment) to build a stadium.

You're correct but I didn't want to go down this route. Was just making the point that endowment size does reflect the economic power and affluence of a university- especially one the size of UM with an endowment that rivals some huge state institutions. Nonetheless, stadiums aren't financed in lump sum payments up front anyway. I've always viewed the land as the biggest obstacle for these things which is why the failure to ever having a serious discussion about Tropical Park from the admin and the local govt is infuriating.

You can buy a house for $1 in delapidated Philly, not so much in Coral Gables.

Bunch of self inflated idiots in CG who seem to think their little city is some world renowned jewel. It seems that way to them because the rest of the county is a sht hole. UM is unfortunate to be located in the pompous waste of space.

What is wrong with Tropical Park?

Perhaps if we built on the Old Zoo, which we actually ***ing owned it could have worked.

The park would be ideal but the county seems to not want it. They could gain a lot from putting a stadium the size they need there. There is no real push from anybody who matters. UM has no juice.

Therein lies the problem. You need to commit to making this a priority and doing what is necessary to get it done.

Last edited:

You're correct but I didn't want to go down this route. Was just making the point that endowment size does reflect the economic power and affluence of a university- especially one the size of UM with an endowment that rivals some huge state institutions. Nonetheless, stadiums aren't financed in lump sum payments up front anyway. I've always viewed the land as the biggest obstacle for these things which is why the failure to ever having a serious discussion about Tropical Park from the admin and the local govt is infuriating.

IIRC, there were rumors a couple years ago that Donna and co had looked into Trop Park. Issue was that FIU had some right to veto moving forward if they felt a UM stadium would encroach on their territory. Again, just rumors, but if I recall, Donna asked FIU prez to go in on a stadium together, and he decided to build their own instead, thereby kinda ******** UM.

IIRC, there were rumors a couple years ago that Donna and co had looked into Trop Park. Issue was that FIU had some right to veto moving forward if they felt a UM stadium would encroach on their territory. Again, just rumors, but if I recall, Donna asked FIU prez to go in on a stadium together, and he decided to build their own instead, thereby kinda ******** UM.

I do remember the second part of that being reported/mentioned. It'd be really interesting though if FIU had enough political sway to block us from a solo Tropical Park project. Not sure how it even would be a detriment to them. It's not like they're hosting any other big events at their stadium aside from soccer.

Advertisement

I do remember the second part of that being reported/mentioned. It'd be really interesting though if FIU had enough political sway to block us from a solo Tropical Park project. Not sure how it even would be a detriment to them. It's not like they're hosting any other big events at their stadium aside from soccer.

Fair enough, and yeah, I admit it sounds a bit odd to think that FIU would have that much clout.

Either way, though, I feel like UM has explored the Trop Park idea. If we were hoping to team with FIU in the first place (and we've been hoping to team with Beckham since then), then it seems likely that we don't have the $$ necessary to do it ourselves.

Temple is a very large institution that receives state funds as a "state-related" university. It is not comparable to Miami in any way, shape, or form.

Then please explain why other private schools have their own stadium. Stop making excuses for Miami. I am pretty sure the only schools without a stadium are Miami, Pitt and Temple. I could be missing one or two but how is this acceptable?
Southern Cal

Temple president says stadium is next logical step for Owls football |

Temple is in Philly, a much larger, more urban, more crowded city than Miami

So how come the canes can't do it?

I went to Temple, and lived in Philly most of my life. The State of Pennsylvania and the City of Philadelphia are interested in razing as much of the ghetto surrounding Temple, as possible. They are working in concert. For decades they've been pushing for the continued expansion/encroachment of the Temple campus into the surrounding ghetto, as a means of urban renewal. I'm not saying that's necessarily bad.

However, outside of 6 home games per year, it is unlikely to get any other use. The taxpayers will be thoroughly soaked for its upkeep.

Right now, Lincoln Financial Field (where the Eagles play) is a 20-minute subway ride from Temple, and in a good neighborhood.

This x1000

Cities in Philis condition beg to get people to develop in horrid areas to boost the economy. Fact is sometimes it works.. I live in DC and the MCI (now Verizon) Ceter built in Chinatown has been a huge success... mainly because it has Wizards, Capitols, G-town basketball, and concerts.. They have like 200 events a year and it takes up half a city block.
Temple building a football stadium there is possibly the dumbest thing. 6 games a year and then rotting away 359 days a year.. Perhaps they get an occasional concert but why would the not choose the NFL stadium with NFL parking around it. My guess is that smarter people will squash this..

btw, What is the actual attendance for Temple games (not ND) this year, their best year ever?

Temple is a very large institution that receives state funds as a "state-related" university. It is not comparable to Miami in any way, shape, or form.

Then please explain why other private schools have their own stadium. Stop making excuses for Miami. I am pretty sure the only schools without a stadium are Miami, Pitt and Temple. I could be missing one or two but how is this acceptable?
Southern Cal

USC essentially controls the Coliseum now. The long term comprehensive lease agreement signed two years ago keeps it technically in ownership by the state but USC makes the decisions and keeps the money. The school is even trying to get a corporate sponsor for the Coliseum, at several million per year minimum.

Besides, that stadium is smack across the street from campus. A closer example to our predicament is UCLA, which is more than 20 miles away from the Rose Bowl. They explored an on-campus stadium decades ago but the nearby homeowners and special interests were too powerful and swatted it away.

But it's the classic Rose Bowl with gorgeous scenery over the rim of the stadium. Not a corporate dump pro venue in the middle of nowhere and with gawky features everywhere. Those pillars to prop the roof are now going up. Talk about ugly and forced. That's what I emphasized years ago when the renovations were planned, that it's hardly ideal or a 1-1 return on the dollar. Merely whatever fits on an old flawed design.

As a Canes season ticket holder I'm forever amazed the stadium is tolerated and occasionally receives positive mention around here. Granted, this forum is superior to other Canes sites in that regard. It doesn't feel like college football at all at this stadium. More like a hybrid. Last week was homecoming. The crowd was so late arriving even for a 3 PM game that it was beyond sad. There were maybe 3 dozen alumni cheerleaders there. That's fine but I kept thinking back to my indoctrination to Canes football as a young kid in the late '60s. The team wasn't great but the atmosphere was awesome. The Yamma Yamma guy had the stands active and rocking regardless of the tally. "Skit...Skat...a how 'bout that..." During the 4th quarter against Virginia I was technically watching the game but mostly I was thinking back to those glorious evenings in the Orange Bowl and how I assumed they would never end.

Can you imagine that 12:30 kickoff against Georgia Tech and what the stands are going to look like 20 minutes before gametime, when those departing seniors are announced and run out of the helmet? I can't believe other schools don't take pictures of that moment and use it against us in recruiting, when compared to their own environment.

We desperately need to get out of there. I live not far from Tropical Park. It looks so sensible from a proximity and space perspective that it's hard to believe somebody ultra sharp and influential can't find a way to make it work. Donald Trump should have been helping Shalala in this project instead of trying to push Mike Leach.

Advertisement
Are we the only FBS program that has another FBS stadium (FIU) closer to its campus than its actual "home" stadium? A friend of mine keeps regurgitating that little nauseating mindbender and I've yet to think of another school in the same scenario.

Are we the only FBS program that has another FBS stadium (FIU) closer to its campus than its actual "home" stadium? A friend of mine keeps regurgitating that little nauseating mindbender and I've yet to think of another school in the same scenario.

The aforementioned UCLA. The Coliseum is definitely closer than the Rose Bowl to the UCLA campus.

Advertisement

The aforementioned UCLA. The Coliseum is definitely closer than the Rose Bowl to the UCLA campus.

Gracias. I'd still venture to say our situation is still more nauseating as FIU's venue is actually on-campus.

Advertisement
Back