Temple Student On Golden

Advertisement
I remember when this was posted and I think the kid was just upset Golden was leaving. Here are my responses.

Somebody showed me this about what a temple student wrote about golden when miami hired him. He called it "doses of reality" and it was on owlscoop.com.

1.He is a good recruiter, but a mediocre gameday coach.

Maybe a fair assessment.

2.His clock management skills are poor, as is his ability to make adjustments. He has been repeatedly outcoached in the 2nd half of games by coaches who have lesser talent but more savy. Frank Solich, Ohio U HC really has his number.

We have a lot of come back wins with Golden and his time management is fine. So completely wrong here.

3.His offense is often 1 dimensional, and he seems to stick with a gameplan well after it has been proven not to be working.He has plan A but no B.

I don't agree with this.

4.He is secretive regarding players, schemes, Offense & Defense philosphy.

He might keep some stuff in house but not sure what everyone expects?

5.He has not been able to develop a QB and establis a cohesive offensive scheme. He functioned as the special teams coach with very poor results.

I doubt he got any real QB commits at Temple either. Olsen and Kaaya can be the determining factor in this.

6.His teams have only beaten 3 D-1 teams with winning records in the past 5 years. He has not won the MAC east crown let alone mac conf title.

Your school is temple...

He said some more **** but these sound and look familiar.

If a coach is not succeeding or leaves, people always bash him and the complaints usually sound similar. Shows you the consistency of fan rhetoric. It's not unlike fans disliking the "scheme" of any DC who is having problems. Temple was a wasteland before Golden. Hard to believe that Golden had much of any weaknesses compared to what they had seen--nor that they had even seen the "strength" they sought prior to him.

I agree with some, I mean our offense has improved since he has been here. Jacory and Morris got better from where they were before he took over. I would not consider either elite QBs to begin with but we have gotten some things out of them. Clock management has been good but I hate seeing our defense confused or not lined up in big situations and we fail to call a timeout. One part that stood out to me is the special teams comment. Our special teams have been average to bad under him and he coaches that unit himself.

Advertisement
Yawn. Don't post this BS when we're down. The only problem Golden has is his unwillingness to understand that his defense blows and the 4-3 rules. Fire Onofrio.

6.His teams have only beaten 3 D-1 teams with winning records in the past 5 years. He has not won the MAC east crown let alone mac conf title.

That's the one that scares the **** out of me because it's definitely carried over.

Advertisement
Dose of reality just sounds like a butt hurt fan, kinda like we sounded when butch left. Yeah there is some concern there but a bunch of it is overstated.

That's the one that scares the **** out of me because it's definitely carried over.

Temple couldn't beat a D-1 team PERIOD when he got there then this guy is complaining about beating good D-1 teams. All that illustrates is that you can always up the ante.

Temple couldn't beat a D-1 team PERIOD when he got there then this guy is complaining about beating good D-1 teams. All that illustrates is that you can always up the ante.

He definitely improved Temple. But let's not forget that he benefitted greatly by Temple moving to the MAC. As mediocre as the Big East was, it was light years better than the MAC.

Corch Al's problem with some Temple fans was that he got the program to a level of competitiveness in the MAC, but he couldn't get over the hump. And it wasn't a talent issue, because near the end of his time there, he had better players than the other MAC teams as a result of his excellent ability to recruit. T

here's definitely a pattern with him. He's a great recruiter and a good builder. But he makes every game a death struggle even against bad teams and flops against equally talented or more talented teams.

Advertisement
As mediocre as the Big East was, it was light years better than the MAC.

Golden beat the Big East champs (UConn) while at Temple...

One game. We can all nitpick and grab a single example and act like it disproves everything.

Instead of one game, look at the entire track record. How many times did he win the lowly MAC? How did he do against Frank Solich?

He did a nice job getting Temple to a level of respectability. I think he's going to do the same thing here. I just don't think UM fans are going to be happy going 9-3 every year and being Jizzbo's toilet paper. If you think UM will ever be a major player again if these clowns keep trotting that diarrhea disguised as a defense out there every year, it's never gonna happen. Temple v. UM. Different programs. Different expectations.

Advertisement

He definitely improved Temple. But let's not forget that he benefitted greatly by Temple moving to the MAC. As mediocre as the Big East was, it was light years better than the MAC.

Corch Al's problem with some Temple fans was that he got the program to a level of competitiveness in the MAC, but he couldn't get over the hump. And it wasn't a talent issue, because near the end of his time there, he had better players than the other MAC teams as a result of his excellent ability to recruit. T

here's definitely a pattern with him. He's a great recruiter and a good builder. But he makes every game a death struggle even against bad teams and flops against equally talented or more talented teams.

So this idea that the only reason Golden turned them around was because they moved to the MAC is pure BS.

Temple was independent the year before Golden arrived. They played 4 MAC teams in prep for the move. They went 0-4, and got blown out in 3 of those games--heck, they lost to Bowling Green 70-7. They went winless that season.

Golden comes in the next year, and notches only one win--against Bowling Green. Of course, they go up from there.

No to mention, if you look at Temple BEFORE they ever joined the BE, they were just as terrible, losing to teams like Holy Cross, Delaware, Villanova, Western Michigan, etc...

And he did not have "better players than the other MAC teams"...check the rankings for the his years there. His class ranked 4th in the MAC in 2006, 10th in the conference in 2007, 5th in 2008, and 2nd-to-last in 2009. Golden recruited at about the same level as his predecessors at Temple--but the difference was that he had a tougher sell than they did. He couldn't tell a recruit that he'd be playing in the Big East, with the opportunity for major TV exposure and championships. Instead, he had to sell them on coming to a bottom-barrel program in a bottom-barrel league, and one that was sinking further every year.

Last edited:
Golden is not a finished product for sure. He needs to learn like most coaches. JJ could beat anyone in a bowl game when he got here. Got out coached by Johnny Majors and Joe Pa because they could use the extra time to get ready and he couldn't figure out how the adjust to what they came up with. Well, really Majors, cause Joe Pa just copied his defense. When Walsh took over QB Majors scheme didn't work. Steve had more brains than arm--and his arm was not that bad.

But JJ came in and left what was an outstanding offense alone. He did change the D from Howards 5 - 2 to the 4-3 we all came to love. Howards D was a little more like this new thing we are so bothered by. Dennis came in keep the D and changed the O. Al came in and change both. In his defense, neither was worth a crap when he got here.

If a coach is not succeeding or leaves, people always bash him and the complaints usually sound similar. Shows you the consistency of fan rhetoric. It's not unlike fans disliking the "scheme" of any DC who is having problems. Temple was a wasteland before Golden. Hard to believe that Golden had much of any weaknesses compared to what they had seen--nor that they had even seen the "strength" they sought prior to him.

Temple was awful - no doubt. But Temple went from being in the Big East (a top 6 conference) to being in the unquestionable worst conference in CFB (MAAC).
That's the biggest reason for their success.

Temple was awful - no doubt. But Temple went from being in the Big East (a top 6 conference) to being in the unquestionable worst conference in CFB (MAAC).
That's the biggest reason for their success.

BS. See my post above.

Advertisement
Back