Telling interview from kaaya

brock

All-American
Especially about the personnel offensively. We know he's not talking about his weapons because he had NFL talent there but the oline situation was a night and day difference from his freshman year to his sophomore and junior year.
Situation he came into Miami in
Adversity he went through
Brad Kaaya: Things Weren’t Easy In Miami, But It Prepared Me For The NFL « The DA Show – CBS Sports Radio
Some NFL analysts consider Mitchell Trubisky the top quarterback prospect in the year’s draft despite the fact that the North Carolina product has just 13 career starts. His ACC counterpart, Brad Kaaya, has more. A lot more.

In fact, Kaaya started as a true freshman in 2014 and threw for 3,100+ yards in each of his three seasons with the Hurricanes.

“I do think that my experience will help me because I’ve played in 38+ games,” Kaaya said on CBS Sports Radio’s The DA Show. “I’ve seen all kinds of different experiences. I’ve had adverse situations in college. I’ve seen my coach get let go. I’ve seen three different head coaches. I’ve had coordinators change. I’ve had personnel change. The personnel my freshman year was night-and-day different compared to what I had my junior year and even my sophomore year. So just situations like that are very comparable to the NFL because in the NFL, stuff isn’t going to go perfect. It’s impossible, unless you’re the Patriots or Tom Brady – and even then, you still got DeflateGate. But still, stuff isn’t always going to be perfect in the NFL, and personnel is going to change, or stuff might not always go your way or coaches might change. So I think what I’ve seen on the field, I think that’s going to help me in the long run and help me and prepare me for whatever gets thrown my way at the next level.”

When Kaaya arrived at Miami in 2014, many people in and around the program expected him to be a savior of sorts and achieve Larry Coker-like success. Instead, Miami went 6-7 in his first year.

“When I first got there, it was coach (Al) Golden’s second-to-last year there,” Kaaya recalled. “Just the culture in general was a lot different than how it is now. I’d say the state of the program was kind of a tough situation in general just to step into. We had limited scholarships (and lost four of six to end the previous season). We had some new guys coming up and a couple guys were asked to play earlier than they would have liked to. It was just a tough year.”

So tough, in fact, that Golden was on the hot seat almost as soon as Kaaya arrived.

“The fan base was kind of split at one point,” Kaaya said. “Some people wanted Coach Golden to stay; a lot of people wanted Coach Golden out of there. Probably every home game I played, there was probably a banner flying above the game, saying, ‘Fire Coach Golden.’ Certain games we’d get booed out of the stadium. It was rough. Even games that we’d be winning, there’d still be boos, there’d still be people leaving. Some home games might get 20,000 people; some home games might get more, but it was just all over the place. The way that the program is trending now and just the recruits they’re getting and just the momentum and the energy surrounding it, I think it’s a night-and-day difference.”

Indeed, Miami went from 6-7 to 8-5 to 9-4 during Kaaya’s three-year career. Mark Richt had a successful first year in 2016, leading the Hurriances to a 31-14 win over West Virginia in the Russell Athletic Bowl.

It was Miami’s first bowl win since 2006 and its first time ending a season with at least five straight wins since 2001.

“I think that speaks for itself,” Kaaya said. “That’s something we hadn’t (done) in a while.”

Ultimately, that success allowed Kaaya to declare for the NFL Draft with peace of mind.

“I just felt good about the direction the program was heading in,” he said. “If the season has gone a different way or if we had gone, say, 5-7 or 6-6, or we had gotten blown out in the bowl game and it was just another average Miami year, I wouldn’t have felt comfortable leaving the program and leaving my brothers, who I came in with and spent time with recruiting and been through the worst possible situations with. I wouldn’t have felt good leaving those guys and leaving the fans, but at the end of the day, I felt comfortable and I felt comfortable handing the program off to the next guy in line.”

Always will respect kaaya man, came to Miami when it wasn't cool to and when the local prospects would sh*t on the home team and fought and played through injuries

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hope he catches on with an NFL team that will bring him along at a reasonable pace instead of throwing him into the fire his 1st year..
Wished he stayed for his senior year to better his draft stock which should have been better with all the talent coming in..

Advertisement
It doesn't matter what anybody says, this team would've been better off with him this year. Richt would've had to adjust the offense a bit but we're a 1 loss team max with him.

Advertisement
What the **** is Larry Coker type of success????

A national championship?

That was Butch Davis the God type of success.

What the **** is Larry Coker type of success????

A national championship?

Larry Coker got fired for his so called success.

Not saying I agree with the comparison, but I see what he was trying to get at because of Coker's ring

Coker just stood on the sidelines with a headset that probably had no batteries pretending to coach with the stud team he had in '01

Ugh...they meant first year success, like Larry Coker. You can't do any better than winning the title your first year.

Also, did anybody see the Gruden/Kaaya film room session. Gruden makes it known that he hates the RPO and brings up a couple plays of Kaaya getting killed running them. Kaaya admitted to feeling uncomfortable running RPO but never bad mouthed the play calling or any coaches. Even though Gruden was practically begging him to s-talk the play calling.

Advertisement
Ugh...they meant first year success, like Larry Coker. You can't do any better than winning the title your first year.

Also, did anybody see the Gruden/Kaaya film room session. Gruden makes it known that he hates the RPO and brings up a couple plays of Kaaya getting killed running them. Kaaya admitted to feeling uncomfortable running RPO but never bad mouthed the play calling or any coaches. Even though Gruden was practically begging him to s-talk the play calling.

gives a *** what gruden says

the only reason he has a ring is because he inherited tony dungy's bucs team which had an all time great defense

after that super bowl the bucs would never again go on to win another playoff game in his time there..

multiple loss seasons including a 4-12 season spread in there..

the only reason he has a ring is because he inherited tony dungy's bucs team which had an all time great defense

after that super bowl the bucs would never again go on to win another playoff game in his time there..

Aside from having Dungys defense....dude also got the team he coached just past season. Oakland couldn't sneeze w/o gruden knowing who was gonna offer the kleenex!!

Gruden is an overrated assclown.

After his first year, he spent the next several years running down that Bucs team, and having terrible offenses. Seriously horrific offensive guy. Look at his record. And guess what he was known for, not being able to find a talented quarterback or develop whatever quarterback he had. The quarterback position really suffered when he was in Tampa. Why is he such a quarterback expert? Without Dungy's defense the first year, he wins nothing.

Dude is nothing but an overrated TV mouthpiece. He was real good at making faces on the sidelines, and that was about it.

Advertisement

Gruden is an overrated assclown.

After his first year, he spent the next several years running down that Bucs team, and having terrible offenses. Seriously horrific offensive guy. Look at his record. And guess what he was known for, not being able to find a talented quarterback or develop whatever quarterback he had. The quarterback position really suffered when he was in Tampa. Why is he such a quarterback expert? Without Dungy's defense the first year, he wins nothing.

Dude is nothing but an overrated TV mouthpiece. He was real good at making faces on the sidelines, and that was about it.

There's a reason why he's stayed on TV despite numerous offers from college and NFL teams. I don't blame him. On TV he doesn't have to produce actual results, yet he's the highest paid ESPN employee. As a coach, he risks his reputation by going to a team he can't turn around. Remember when Gruden to Miami was a lock?

He probably doesn't like it because it is basically giving the QB an audible on every play. I don't think Gruden liked giving QBs the ability to audible. Maybe if they were vets and he really really trusted their judgement.

He probably doesn't like it because it is basically giving the QB an audible on every play. I don't think Gruden liked giving QBs the ability to audible. Maybe if they were vets and he really really trusted their judgement.

Mostly it had to do with giving a defender free run at the quarterback. These days, most modern offenses in college football run systems that rely on the QB to read an unblocked player. Yes, it leads to the QB getting hit. Yes, it often leads to lots of points and yards for the offense too. QB has to make quick decisions and it helps to be nimble. Two things Kaaya wasn't great at.

Advertisement
Back