NFL Draft Tell me you don't watch without telling me you don't watch

Mallory is a talent. You'll see it more clearly this year...now that Brevin is gone. He does need to improve his strength & blocking. He will have a highly productive NFL career (likely similar to Greg Olsen).

The projection for Jennings is surprising.

Wiggins needs to get his head in the game, fight for the ball more (on contested catches), be more consistent, and show more dawg in him. Will not get drafted unless he significantly ups his game this year.

While they may not be 1st or 2nd rounders in this year's draft, we have a lot of players that will get drafted and that bodes well for a really solid year for the U.

Advertisement
I've been one of the posters that said this from jump.

Butttttt...I watched countless bum being drafted b4 Brevin Jordan this year and realize that if Mallory just measures his 6'5 240+ we know he can run a bit he likely is gone by the 3rd round just based on that.

Sh--t Mike Giseiki cant block my 6 yr old daughter right now and he may end up a pro bowler lol
The only difference between Mallory and Gesicki is acrobatic catches.

I don't see Gesicki doing much this year when Waddle was drafted to take over the slot. Gesicki is a pass downs only player.

Part of the reason that Mallory could end up being a good NFL prospect assuming a good season coming up, is because as all of you know, the definition of an NFL tight end has changed over the last 10 or 15 years.

The prototypical tight end has evolved in many/most offenses on many/most downs as more of a finesse/longer body type receiver rather, than the traditional type of TE. I’m not saying anything new or earthshaking, but we have to look at that 10,000 foot view and understand that we’re not thinking of the TEs that we were used to seeing when we were kids.

In a big picture sense it’s all part of the way the game has evolved in the NFL, and in college, where the teeth have been somewhat taken away from the defense, and the offense has been allowed to be more open and pass happy due to rules changes and enforcement emphasis.

Advertisement
Is waddle only playing inside? That would be a mistake
I like Waddle more a Z than a slot, even. He has toughness, release skills, and an ability to destroy a cushion and create separation at the stem like almost no one else.

Gesicki is in a different stratosphere from Mallory as an athlete, but do agree that both are straight-line seam stretcher types at their best.

Arroyo is getting praise from the coaches that is rare for a freshman. Some believe he is going to be an AA in his career. Not out of the realm to believe he plays a lot later in the year.

I
I like Waddle more a Z than a slot, even. He has toughness, release skills, and an ability to destroy a cushion and create separation at the stem like almost no one else.

Gesicki is in a different stratosphere from Mallory as an athlete, but do agree that both are straight-line seam stretcher types at their best.

Arroyo is getting praise from the coaches that is rare for a freshman. Some believe he is going to be an AA in his career. Not out of the realm to believe he plays a lot later in the year.
Waddle is going to be a problem. Fitting he’s going to do it in Miami when he in fact grew up a canes fan. I’m big on Elijah as well. I hope they realize sooner rather than later he’s a endzone monster. We haven’t had that in a tight end in a while

Advertisement
Yeah I think when Wilson or Bowden are on the field Waddle shifts outside. Or when 2TEs are on with him. But base 11 personnel he's expected to be the slot when everyone is available.
The fact that we now have so many options to attack a defense is insane. Parker and Fuller just need to be healthy enough.

Advertisement

We'll find out for sure in Week 2 when Fuller starts.

I mean, Fuller has been out. But, they better use Waddle in as many scenarios as possible. We drafted him #6 f'ing overall. Tough to get the right-sized return on that unless he nets Tyreek Hill-like production or is utilized in multiple ways to impact the defense. I like him as a player. I just think picking a player like him at #6 is risky as **** *unless* he does nearly unprecedented things. So, yeah, we better give him all the opportunities to do those things.

I mean, Fuller has been out. But, they better use Waddle in as many scenarios as possible. We drafted him #6 f'ing overall. Tough to get the right-sized return on that unless he nets Tyreek Hill-like production or is utilized in multiple ways to impact the defense. I like him as a player. I just think picking a player like him at #6 is risky as **** *unless* he does nearly unprecedented things. So, yeah, we better give him all the opportunities to do those things.
OT but who would have you taken at #6 or 3?

Advertisement
OT but who would have you taken at #6 or 3?
I was a big Chase fan. I loved the trade down to 12. Didn’t love the trade back up. Kinda got stuck. But, I understand why they did it and rolled the dice that either Chase or Pitts would have been there. Although Rousseau seemingly gave him the business in the first preseason game, I preferred the risk/reward with Sewell (if absolutely forced to draft at 6). Liked Micah Parsons if we had stayed down there in the original trade. I dunno. Draft is a crapshoot, but it should be a continuous risk/reward calculation by the smartest people organizations can hire. Sometimes it doesn’t feel that way.

Advertisement
Back