Technical Question Re: Jeff Thomas

I think having another receiver as a legit threat is one of the biggest keys on offense for this team. I think obviously route variance will help in that manner too. Just going through the games last year now and so far (first few games) Harley looks like he could have a breakout year with the new look offense. When he was able to run a legit route last year he did a good job creating separation for the most part

Advertisement
No I got that part too.

I just think unless you’re Oline is straight dogshlt, moving the pocket, rollout passing, etc, can give the QB give an extra second or half second to make the throw, which might be the difference between a sack and a completion.

Clearly, it’s not an overall solution always, it’s always better to have a boss Oline, but sometimes games are determined by one or two plays. As you well know. All I know is, we’re going to be a little more creative in finding ways to try and keep the QB upright.

Also, is Irving still our best TE blocker?
Yeah. That's the other part is polendy I'm pretty sure is gone. That leaves Mike jr who cant block for **** as our best blocking te... keying one of them on a de worries me... ALOT

I think this is what gives Tate the advantage in the QB race. He can run and escape if the line sucks this year. How has Irvin looked coming back from injury?
Hes actually looked **** good. Alot more explosive off the line. I agree on the point with tate. I'm hopeful on the oline. We have potential. Just comes down to tackle play. Also jarren is alot more athletic than people on here seem to think.

Putting him in pre-snap Motion forcing the Defense to show their hand & using him in shorter routes like quick screens, slants, flats, curls, comebacks & digs, instead of just running him on deep vertical routes all game.

You can also give him quick pitch handoffs & reverses to get him the ball. But him being double teamed will only open the field for KJ, Pope, Brevin, Mallory, Hightower, Payton & the rest. If Defenses are stupid enough to pull that Safety & put him on JT all game leaving KJ open on the outside they'll pay for it dearly.

But this is exactly what a real OC salivates over the opportunity to exploit mismatches in opposing Defenses, forcing them to play certain coverages out of fear of being beaten deep just so you carve them up over the middle & underneath. It actually plays exactly into our hand as an offense because we don't have the kind of OL that should have to hold a clean pocket for too long so it works in our favor to have a quick passing attack with short routes & force Defenses to pick their poison if they decide they won't get beat by the deep ball.

With our speed on the outside, most Defenses we see will play a lot of Zone on us early on, you'll see a lot of Cover 3, 4 & 5 Zone coverages, which means seam routes & shallow crosses will be open all day.

this. very good explanation.

presnap, Enos can move him around (motion) which will force rotation of coverage and exposure of what the defense is trying to take away on that particular play. if you have to adjust two of your back seven players to hold a designated coverage, without some kind of jump or switch call, it's much tougher to disguise what you're doing. this give the QB a nice presnap look at what the coverage is, and takes some of the guesswork out of it. not all, but in that situation, presnap, it's advantage to the QB/OC.

presnap, Enos can use a lot of formation shifts, which accomplish much of the same thing. shifts, as opposed to motion, are particularly useful as it relates to the running game, using formation to either overload as to number, (e.g., an extra guy to help get a hat on a defender to one side of the formation), or to set a leveraged matchup, (e.g., getting your TE to block on a safety in the box, as opposed to a wideout, who may not be as strong a blocker. my big guy has an advantage over your smaller guy. that sort of idea).

and as far as play calling, for example, route combinations that use legal picks to scrape off one defender, based on the design of the pattern is one tool in the kit. (e.g., maybe you run a pattern concept where a companion receiver is shielding the outside bracket in your China concept, or the companion receiver is shielding the under coverage in a Texas concept. it all depends.

the point is, it's not just "getting him open" that the OC needs to adjust to, it's using that doubling of one player to go somewhere else.

and remember, whatever the OC does, the DC on the other side will be trying to counter. that's the chess match, and why you watch on Saturdays.

Advertisement
That was a tactic solely because defenses knew our limitations. Not only because of qb play but also because they knew our route tree better than most of our recievers... this is when I know our fan base may be a lil baffled by what they are watching. Did yall not see on numerous occasions where dbs would stay posted up **** near in specific spots while our recievers seemed to run their routes freely? Only to have the route and the throw progress to where the dbs were basically standing flat footed throughout... IT HAPPENED ALOT. Defenses didnt have to respect us at all. That wont happen anymore. Theres ur answer on bracketing Jeff. Weapons will be utilized in this offense. Well have to see just how fully well be capable of because atleast initially our QBs may have slight limitations. But that's why I've said this year is all on our oline. Our success or failure as a team will be entirely on that unit. Cause our defense will not be able to carry us anywhere near as much, especially early in the season while the secondary gels.

Very true...but if Martell is as good as he can be (b/c it will most likely be him starting) his mobility will help the o-line

Hes actually looked **** good. Alot more explosive off the line. I agree on the point with tate. I'm hopeful on the oline. We have potential. Just comes down to tackle play. Also jarren is alot more athletic than people on here seem to think.
That's really encouraging news regarding Irvin. Seeing him at the spring game, I definitely thought he looked more explosive than I've seen him look since he's been at Miami.

As for the QB's, any news on how voluntary workouts are going? Are all of them putting in the extra work that is required? If memory serves me right, I believe you stated that Jarren will ultimately win the job? Is that still your take?

Thanks in advance!

this. very good explanation.

presnap, Enos can move him around (motion) which will force rotation of coverage and exposure of what the defense is trying to take away on that particular play. if you have to adjust two of your back seven players to hold a designated coverage, without some kind of jump or switch call, it's much tougher to disguise what you're doing. this give the QB a nice presnap look at what the coverage is, and takes some of the guesswork out of it. not all, but in that situation, presnap, it's advantage to the QB/OC.

presnap, Enos can use a lot of formation shifts, which accomplish much of the same thing. shifts, as opposed to motion, are particularly useful as it relates to the running game, using formation to either overload as to number, (e.g., an extra guy to help get a hat on a defender to one side of the formation), or to set a leveraged matchup, (e.g., getting your TE to block on a safety in the box, as opposed to a wideout, who may not be as strong a blocker. my big guy has an advantage over your smaller guy. that sort of idea).

and as far as play calling, for example, route combinations that use legal picks to scrape off one defender, based on the design of the pattern is one tool in the kit. (e.g., maybe you run a pattern concept where a companion receiver is shielding the outside bracket in your China concept, or the companion receiver is shielding the under coverage in a Texas concept. it all depends.

the point is, it's not just "getting him open" that the OC needs to adjust to, it's using that doubling of one player to go somewhere else.

and remember, whatever the OC does, the DC on the other side will be trying to counter. that's the chess match, and why you watch on Saturdays.
Excellent post.

Advertisement
Yeah Jarren rushed for 600 plus as a senior and he also throws rolling out very well

That's really encouraging news regarding Irvin. Seeing him at the spring game, I definitely thought he looked more explosive than I've seen him look since he's been at Miami.

As for the QB's, any news on how voluntary workouts are going? Are all of them putting in the extra work that is required? If memory serves me right, I believe you stated that Jarren will ultimately win the job? Is that still your take?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not saying jarren WILL win the job. I'm saying he definitely overall brings the most to the table. Anotherwords tools and potential. I'd love to see this offense with NO ONE having limitations. That's what separates a good offense from a great one. With the right qb play & decent oline play we will be dominant. Far as work outs all that **** is flag football right now. They're all putting in work. They all know they're being watched.

Pre-Snap Motion
Mesh Routes

Also...I'm a fan of the "let them" method...if they are shifting coverage and putting an overemphasis on one player, I have to be confident enough in my other playmakers to make something happen in isolated one on one or finding green against zone. This is power five football...in theory, you shouldn't be so hard up for talent that you're a one man show in the passing game.

I'm not saying jarren WILL win the job. I'm saying he definitely overall brings the most to the table. Anotherwords tools and potential. I'd love to see this offense with NO ONE having limitations. That's what separates a good offense from a great one. With the right qb play & decent oline play we will be dominant. Far as work outs all that **** is flag football right now. They're all putting in work. They all know they're being watched.
Much appreciated, my man! As far the bolded part, I completely agree. It will be interesting to see who shows up to fall camp with the best grasp of the offense and with the most "on the field" chemistry with the receivers/TE's. Knowing what to do and thinking about what to do is a major difference as it relates to a QB's reaction time, once the pads come back on.

Advertisement
Keeping the opposing defenses guessing has got to help the oline. Last year, defenses didn't have much guessing to do and our oline was already at a disadvantage before the ball was even snapped. I would also venture to say that Coach Barry will introduce some blocking schemes to help mask any oline weaknesses.

I remember seeing Jarren scramble in the arm game and was surprised. Unfortunately we didn’t get to see him at all last year cause Richt was being dumb. JArren should have gotten a lot of snaps in the 4 games he is allowed to play in and still RS.

Advertisement
Back