Technical Question Re: Jeff Thomas

Absolutely. Max protect will become a necessity. However I doubt polendy is still on this team. Which says what set will actually bring on a single tightened who can block let alone two

I think this is what gives Tate the advantage in the QB race. He can run and escape if the line sucks this year. How has Irvin looked coming back from injury?

Advertisement
The new system is not only going to be beneficial for the skill positions and qbs, it also will help the oline too. It’s a new season so everyone should get a fresh start including the oline who quite frankly performed better than the receiver and qb group in 2018. Those are the 2 groups who really need to improve their performance tbqh.

I’m just glad we will not be running a predictable system anymore and will actually be utilizing things to help get guys open and cause confusion on defenses

Last edited:
Gonna be a lot of opportunities for KJ Osborn if they double team JT.

Advertisement
I may be in the minority, but I'm hopeful we don't need to get Thomas 10 touches a game.
Agree. My thought process isn't at all how do we get the ball to JT4 a bunch of times if hes double covered. Instead it's I hope they double Thomas every game in which case our other guys should feast if we adapt right.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority, but I'm hopeful we don't need to get Thomas 10 touches a game.
He is the best playmaker on the team! Great playmakers need the ball in there hands often and great OC's will find creative ways to get them the ball. One of the biggest problems with the last staff was they didn't find ways to get our playmakers the ball!

I'd like to see us run JT out of the slot in motion where we set pick plays (rub routes) on one of the two covering JT or line him up wide and have the slot motion guy set the rub and JT beats the 2nd guy on his own. JT is way too fast for defenses to make switches during the rub.

Advertisement
He is the best playmaker on the team! Great playmakers need the ball in there hands often and great OC's will find creative ways to get them the ball. One of the biggest problems with the last staff was they didn't find ways to get our playmakers the ball!
I’m not complaining about an emphasis to get him the ball more whatsoever when we had 4 games where he only got 1 catch in 2018. That can’t happen with a playmaker like Thomas

Appreciate and understand everyone's responses. My hope is the jewels of our last two or three classes, Lingard, Pope, Mallory, Hightower, Jordan and Osborn make it so Thomas isn't such a clear cut choice or necessity.

I've heard a few times about the defensive tactic of bracketing Jeff Thomas - and pretty much neutralizing him.

And Enos says he want Jeff to get ten touches or so per game.

So what's the counter-tactic to negate the high/low bracketing Jeff was and will be exposed to?
So you make sure there are multiple options on the same side of the field he's on. And use those ootions, force the defense to pick their poison. We're expecting big plays from Jeff but you can pick a defense apart the other way

Advertisement
Appreciate and understand everyone's responses. My hope is the jewels of our last two or three classes, Lingard, Pope, Mallory, Hightower, Jordan and Osborn make it so Thomas isn't such a clear cut choice or necessity.
Last year Miami averaged 66 offensive plays a game which ranked 116th out of 130...Absolutely terrible! I would imagine at the very least, with Enos at the helm, the number of plays would at least jump from 66, up to the 72-74 play range, which is still only slightly above average in college football.

Giving your best playmaker the ball roughly 10 times out of 74 plays should be pretty standard; that's only 13.5% of the offensive plays. The other skill players will still be able to eat!

Advertisement
Last year Miami averaged 66 offensive plays a game which ranked 116th out of 130...Absolutely terrible! I would imagine at the very least, with Enos at the helm, the number of plays would at least jump from 66, up to the 72-74 play range, which is still only slightly above average in college football.

Giving your best playmaker the ball roughly 10 times out of 74 plays should be pretty standard; that's only 13.5% of the offensive plays. The other skill players will still be able to eat!

Interesting number.

If the average Offensive Play last five seconds or less - that's 330 seconds.

Or 5 minutes, 30 seconds.

74 Offensive Plays @ 5 seconds each - equals 370 seconds - or six minutes total action per game.

For over ten years, I've seen guys out there taking plays off - like they were tired. Like they were saving a bit for later in a game.

I certainly hope our Strength and Conditioning crew can get six minutes of balls to the walls play out of our team - Offense and Defense.

That was a tactic solely because defenses knew our limitations. Not only because of qb play but also because they knew our route tree better than most of our recievers... this is when I know our fan base may be a lil baffled by what they are watching. Did yall not see on numerous occasions where dbs would stay posted up **** near in specific spots while our recievers seemed to run their routes freely? Only to have the route and the throw progress to where the dbs were basically standing flat footed throughout... IT HAPPENED ALOT. Defenses didnt have to respect us at all. That wont happen anymore. Theres ur answer on bracketing Jeff. Weapons will be utilized in this offense. Well have to see just how fully well be capable of because atleast initially our QBs may have slight limitations. But that's why I've said this year is all on our oline. Our success or failure as a team will be entirely on that unit. Cause our defense will not be able to carry us anywhere near as much, especially early in the season while the secondary gels.

#PrehistRichtOffense

People will never truly understand just how bad and outdated that system was

With the New Multiple Scheme Enos is installing, the checks, reads, and Motions should open space for Not only JT but the rest of Our guys. The Key is Have a Competent QB that can Place the ball where it needs to be. I think if our first couple of scripted drives work out We will be good. We dont want this to come down to a pressured situation where our QB1 has to think too much about ball placement.
That's why Our defense will be key in the Game August 24th...Frank's can only throw to one side of the field (right side) he sucks going left. Man up on the receivers, 2 safeties over the top force him to throw left. SACK AFTER SACK....he will look like he regressed.

Advertisement
Back