Teams losing fans.

Notice that all are professional teams. Several factors I've noticed.
1. From the listing the areas with poor economies seem hit hard.
2. I think John Q. Public is fed up with politics and sports. Why I think our moderators should stop the political discussions here. There are other forums for that or add a political forum here separate from Hurricane sports. They have become the most vicious attack wise.
3. Lack of loyalty of the athletes, especially in basketball where players like Lebron builds a team around himself where ever he wants to go. Also baseball, I cannot picture a Mickey Mantle as anything but a New York Yankee.
4. I hope the college portal does not become like free agency and hurt college sports even though we benefited from it I am not in favor of it.

I could not embed the link so click it:

Thoughts?

Teams have been losing in-person fans for years, well before the silly politics narrative started being used for an ignorant talking point.

We've seen tough economic times make an impact in the past, but has only been temporary while currently we're in a full on trend of people moving away from attending live sporting events.

College sports are struggling with same situation. This isn't limited to professional sports.

Advertisement
This is just wrong on so many levels. No one my age is picking a cell phone over going to a game. The issue isnt technology the issue is that in our economy paying so much for tickets and $6 for water, $12 for beer $10 for a burger isnt easy and one has to do so because u spend hours at a game. Also no one wants to wait half an hour to use the restroom with how good modern television is at captivating a game.

You're right & Fitzgerald is somewhat right. He was on the right path, but didn't articulate it very well. Technology has had a major impact on sports attendance.

I agree, I should've said attendees not fans. The excuse about watching on TV is only valid if it is too costly or inconvenient to attend because I DVR every game that is broadcast of our Canes (All Cane Sports) that are telecast and enjoy watching after and even for years after. When my kids were young the U had an end zone pass for 100 dollars a year and got 2 adults and 3 children admission. The end zone was and still is the wildest seats in the stadium. Of course in the old OB you had access to other seats unless it was a hyped game so we would try different views throughout the OB. Now that my children are grown it is reminiscent to go together, being a bonding moment of joy. I still believe that loyalty being remiss is a big factor, especially in the NBA. Was the Heat happy when James left? Did attendance drop like a rock, what will happen in Toronto since they slowly built a team and will be one and done. How important is it that our ex players are so fond and loyal to the U even though they bounce from team to team for the big bucks. I am sure many here follow our alum and watch them play as Ex-Canes, not Ravens or such. Loyalty is a factor for many. I like the idea that Ray Lewis stayed his career with the Ravens, shows character.
They still have a family section. The upper east endzone is alcohol free and season tickets are only $150.

Heat attendance was not affected by Lebron leaving. They still sell out every game. You tens to see more empty seats on TV because pretty much all the good seats are corporate owned and since the team hasn't been great, it's no longer trendy to entertain corporate partners at the games. Besides, people in Miami go to sporting events when the team is good. If they had replaced Lebron with another superstar like Durant, the seats would still be full every night.

They still have a family section. The upper east endzone is alcohol free and season tickets are only $150.

Heat attendance was not affected by Lebron leaving. They still sell out every game. You tens to see more empty seats on TV because pretty much all the good seats are corporate owned and since the team hasn't been great, it's no longer trendy to entertain corporate partners at the games. Besides, people in Miami go to sporting events when the team is good. If they had replaced Lebron with another superstar like Durant, the seats would still be full every night.

similar to all other NBA teams -- if the team is good, theyre gonna sell it out. no one beats down the door to watch 500 or worse product (this goes for all sports).

Soccer in the USA is growing in attendance and tv ratings every year. Especially with the under 40 years of age demographic.
(Just had to be that guy.)

Advertisement
Lack of loyalty of the athletes, especially in basketball where players like Lebron builds a team around himself where ever he wants to go. Also baseball, I cannot picture a Mickey Mantle as anything but a New York Yankee.

Fohwtbs. Loyalty? Pro sports is a business. When teams feel they no longer want or need a player they cut or trade them. Yet people like you NEVER mention "loyalty" then. Miss me with this crap.

Soccer in the USA is growing in attendance and tv ratings every year. Especially with the under 40 years of age demographic.

viewers of Euro soccer - yes. MLS is growing but product still sucks not to mention that disgrace of a mens national team we have

similar to all other NBA teams -- if the team is good, theyre gonna sell it out. no one beats down the door to watch 500 or worse product (this goes for all sports).
Except, technically the Heat is still selling out every night. Attendance is number of tickets sold, not exactly number of people in seats. Pretty much any empty seat you see at AAA has been paid for, the owner (usually a corporate account) just isn't there. Obviously, it's more likely for the owner to show up if the team is competing for titles.

It has never been costlier to attend a game. And by cost, that is money, time, energy, and what you are giving up by being there (i.e., opportunity cost for the economists out there). There are also more options than ever before, so individual teams have ever greater pressure to put a serious product out there.

This goes simultaneously with the fact that, in this country, a relatively small percentage of people live sports as an identity. Sports are business for the owners and a diversion for most fans, as the large majority of fans are quite casual. Most people in this country would go to a family reuinion or gender reveal if it conflicted with a college football game. People are often stunned at how many "life events" I've declined to attend because watching the Canes is more important to me.

Advertisement

Which means what? It will never reach the level of football, I'd also be curious to see the statistics of the "growth". It may be increasing on the coasts, but I doubt much if at all in the heart of the country.

I think politics are only 5% of the problem. The loudest gear gets the grease in that regard.

Honestly, time management and cost are probably the two contributing factors. I spent $600 overall for the Miami v. Notre Dame game in 2017.

To include:

West End Zone tickets (Stubhub)
Orange Parking Pass
Official Tailgate Party
Reservation At The Olympic Hotel
6 Hour Drive (Total)

Luckily, I'm a truck driver and had multiple days off so I could have the time to do this, and I most certainly don't regret it.

However, your average 40 hour guy with family obligations, this might prove very difficult to do, and as multiple people have pointed out, you can watch it on a 42" 1080 TV with surround sound with cheaper drinks and food, in the comfort of your own home.

Going to games is fun but you're committing an entire day to it, and missing a lot of good action on tv as a result.

If you're a true college football fan the tv experience is too good to pass up.

Notice that all are professional teams. Several factors I've noticed.
1. From the listing the areas with poor economies seem hit hard.
2. I think John Q. Public is fed up with politics and sports. Why I think our moderators should stop the political discussions here. There are other forums for that or add a political forum here separate from Hurricane sports. They have become the most vicious attack wise.
3. Lack of loyalty of the athletes, especially in basketball where players like Lebron builds a team around himself where ever he wants to go. Also baseball, I cannot picture a Mickey Mantle as anything but a New York Yankee.
4. I hope the college portal does not become like free agency and hurt college sports even though we benefited from it I am not in favor of it.

I could not embed the link so click it:

Thoughts?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 MFers mad at player empowerment & are allegedly leaving bc the establishment can’t do whatever they want to athletes.

Fck the John Q Public.

Athletes keep doing you.

Advertisement
Which means what? It will never reach the level of football, I'd also be curious to see the statistics of the "growth". It may be increasing on the coasts, but I doubt much if at all in the heart of the country.
Which means what?
It is self -explanatory. Soccer popularity is growing.
And not just on the coasts. All over the USA.

Attendance is down across college football too. There's two simple explanations. TV coverage has gotten so much better. HD broadcasts and the fact that almost every single FBS game is broadcast or streamed means more people enjoy the experience from their couch. Secondly, the costs of attending a game keep going up making it tough for working class families to attend. After tickets, parking, concessions, it's expensive to take a family of 4 to a game now. I spend a significant portion of my leisure budget on Canes football games during the season and I don't have kids. I couldn't imagine paying for 3 more people.

The TV experience is it 100%. Has nothing to do with politics. All these so-called boycotters—it's a farce. Sure, a handful of people will "protest"—but the masses don't care at the end of the day. It's the TV experience going next-level. Period.

Why actually go to a game when you can literally buckle in from 9am ET for CollegeGameDay—followed by dozens of televised games on back-to-back? (You don't even need the GamePlan package and low-res games on third-rate networks—everything is available through WatchESPN, or conference channels in HD.)

If you have a couple 70" flat-screens and multiple games going at a time—you're in business. Go to an actual game and you're missing all the other action on that day.

I completely understand why people would still go to big games and rivalry showdowns—but a noon kickoff to go watch Miami take on Duke at home? Hard pass.

Advertisement
Which means what?
It is self -explanatory. Soccer popularity is growing.
And not just on the coasts. All over the USA.

Um, ok, I would think that there would be at let some sort of connection to the discussion actually taking place, thanks for the growth statistics as well...very informative.

The TV experience is it 100%. Has nothing to do with politics. All these so-called boycotters—it's a farce. Sure, a handful of people will "protest"—but the masses don't care at the end of the day. It's the TV experience going next-level. Period.

Why actually go to a game when you can literally buckle in from 9am ET for CollegeGameDay—followed by dozens of televised games on back-to-back? (You don't even need the GamePlan package and low-res games on third-rate networks—everything is available through WatchESPN, or conference channels in HD.)

If you have a couple 70" flat-screens and multiple games going at a time—you're in business. Go to an actual game and you're missing all the other action on that day.

I completely understand why people would still go to big games and rivalry showdowns—but a noon kickoff to go watch Miami take on Duke at home? Hard pass.
I understand this and it's another reason I pay for the suite. We have TV's all over the wall, so we can see the network broadcast of our game and also see other big games at the same time.

Um, ok, I would think that there would be at let some sort of connection to the discussion actually taking place, thanks for the growth statistics as well...very informative.

Look, it's just a dopey argument to claim that soccer has popularity "on the coasts" but not in other parts of the country.

MLS just put a team in Cincinnati, and the next franchise will probably be St. Louis. Chicago. Columbus. Minneapolis. Salt Lake City. Dallas. Houston. Denver. Kansas City.

And look at the reception that soccer has received in Atlanta, a southern city that should "hate" soccer and love football.

Nobody is saying that soccer will overtake football in popularity, like, tomorrow. But you have to look at youth participation. More and more parents are prohibiting their kids from playing tackle football and allowing them to play soccer. Over time, with kids growing up playing soccer and parents going to soccer games (and let's not ignore the impact of gender, since there are no real opportunities for women to play tackle football), there is going to be a shift within the overall fanbases of each sport. Soccer is a sport the requires minimal equipment and can be played almost anywhere. Tackle football is a more expensive proposition for young kids and parents to get involved with.

At one time, baseball was a dominant sport among kids in the US, and MLB rosters reflected that. Now there are other sports that compete for kids' attention, and many of the MLB players come from Latin America. Things change over time. NASCAR is losing fanbase, as the people who loved the sport 20 and 30 years ago are aging out, and are not replaced by young fans. It happens.

Miami vs UF tickets are $250 for nosebleeds. For a couple, that’s $500 to basically watch through the replay screen. Then you add in hotel, food, beer, parking passes. You’re spending $1,000 for a bad tailgate at Camping word and a game you can barely see.

Now 65 inch 4K TVs are running around $500.

Advertisement
Back