Teams losing fans.

fraggle

Senile Senior
Notice that all are professional teams. Several factors I've noticed.
1. From the listing the areas with poor economies seem hit hard.
2. I think John Q. Public is fed up with politics and sports. Why I think our moderators should stop the political discussions here. There are other forums for that or add a political forum here separate from Hurricane sports. They have become the most vicious attack wise.
3. Lack of loyalty of the athletes, especially in basketball where players like Lebron builds a team around himself where ever he wants to go. Also baseball, I cannot picture a Mickey Mantle as anything but a New York Yankee.
4. I hope the college portal does not become like free agency and hurt college sports even though we benefited from it I am not in favor of it.

I could not embed the link so click it:

Thoughts?

Advertisement
College sports are hurt by some "schools" being allowed to cheat in recruiting, and every other area possible. The portal, while bothersome, isn't nearly the problem buying recruits is. If anything, it helps level the playing field.

Attendance is down across college football too. There's two simple explanations. TV coverage has gotten so much better. HD broadcasts and the fact that almost every single FBS game is broadcast or streamed means more people enjoy the experience from their couch. Secondly, the costs of attending a game keep going up making it tough for working class families to attend. After tickets, parking, concessions, it's expensive to take a family of 4 to a game now. I spend a significant portion of my leisure budget on Canes football games during the season and I don't have kids. I couldn't imagine paying for 3 more people.

Advertisement
1. commercials after every play
2. life is hard not enough time for anything else
3. 90% of teams have no chance of winning a title anytime in the near future if ever

that's just my opinion i know there's a lot of angry crybaby snowflakes who are boycotting teams/sports because some athletes speak up every once in a while so their list will look different. Tom Brady and Bill B could praise Trump at every press conference they ever hold and i would still think they are the goats and i would still watch them but then again I'm not a crybaby.

Advertisement
I don't believe politics has anything to do with it. It's pretty straight forward market economics...

1. Cost to attend sports events is higher than its ever been - ticket costs are wildly inflated and then you add parking + food + drinks and a family outing gets very expensive very quickly
  2. Home viewing technology is the best its ever been - why spend hundreds to drive to a game when you can watch the game on your 60" HDTV? You get AC, cheap food/drink, instant replay and really good visual of the game. 20+ years ago the best view of the game would have been in the stadium; that's not the case anymore
  3. Younger audiences have different viewing habits than older generations - Younger viewers are the "on-demand" generation. They are not spending 3-4 hours sitting down to watch one event; go to a baseball game and watch what the kids and young adults are doing - they are on their phones and will probably arrive in the 2nd inning and leave by the 7th inning stretch.
Combine the above with a few other variables and it becomes pretty clear why the market for live sporting events is decreasing.

The cost of attendance for the general public has become way too prohibitive. It isn't a problem for everyone, but it is a problem for enough that this decline is going to continue. Can't re create the game day atmosphere experience, but tickets for the family, parking and food is just too much.

My wife and I make good money and literally, my only splurge/vice is the Canes. It's extremely expensive for 2 season tickets, parking, food, drinks, etc. Especially when I have a 65" Samsung 4k in my living room. That's why It made sense to get in a suite, since we go to all the games. I make that sacrifice because I love my Canes and my wife enjoys it. I don't think I could do it if I had kids, which we're trying. Something has to be done about the inflated cost.
My friend who got me in the suite has been in there for 7 years and the price has gone up significantly, at least 3 or 4 times.

Discounting any one reason why there is an attendance issue is foolish. Politics does play a role, but so does economics. I would rather watch a game from home, but that is because I don't like dealing with people in general.

Advertisement
I predict ticket prices will stop increasing and food/beverages will get cheaper (like ATL) within 2-3 years. TV's getting bigger and bigger with more clarity. Virtual reality headsets are becoming more mainstream. The NFL will charge you say $10-20 for a seat on the 50 yard line in full VR. The technology is already here. You could watch the Kentucky Derby this year from anywhere on the track with a headset.

I predict ticket prices will stop increasing and food/beverages will get cheaper (like ATL) within 2-3 years. TV's getting bigger and bigger with more clarity. Virtual reality headsets are becoming more mainstream. The NFL will charge you say $10-20 for a seat on the 50 yard line in full VR. The technology is already here. You could watch the Kentucky Derby this year from anywhere on the track with a headset.
Now that's an interesting thought.

Fitzgerald from Northwestern nails it IMO...
This is just wrong on so many levels. No one my age is picking a cell phone over going to a game. The issue isnt technology the issue is that in our economy paying so much for tickets and $6 for water, $12 for beer $10 for a burger isnt easy and one has to do so because u spend hours at a game. Also no one wants to wait half an hour to use the restroom with how good modern television is at captivating a game.

Advertisement
1. Tickets are expensive. I have 2 kids and I'm not sure they have the attention span to sit through the whole thing.
2. Traffic. Its not fun getting in/out.
3. I have a nice tv at home that I can pause to get a drink, snack, or take a leak without missing a single thing.
4. I would gladly pay $100 for streamed Canes games with multiple camera angles, stats, etc.

I don't believe politics has anything to do with it. It's pretty straight forward market economics...

1. Cost to attend sports events is higher than its ever been - ticket costs are wildly inflated and then you add parking + food + drinks and a family outing gets very expensive very quickly
  2. Home viewing technology is the best its ever been - why spend hundreds to drive to a game when you can watch the game on your 60" HDTV? You get AC, cheap food/drink, instant replay and really good visual of the game. 20+ years ago the best view of the game would have been in the stadium; that's not the case anymore
  3. Younger audiences have different viewing habits than older generations - Younger viewers are the "on-demand" generation. They are not spending 3-4 hours sitting down to watch one event; go to a baseball game and watch what the kids and young adults are doing - they are on their phones and will probably arrive in the 2nd inning and leave by the 7th inning stretch.
Combine the above with a few other variables and it becomes pretty clear why the market for live sporting events is decreasing.

wrong. politics have a lot to do with it. people want to overlook it.

Anybody that stops watching a sport over some contrived political reason was never really a fan in the first place

Agree although I think a % of the casual fan will turn it off if stuff becomes overly political since they aren’t too invested.

I stopped watching the sports networks because it was the same nonsense every week during the whole kneeling debate. I just wanted to see highlights.

But I’ll never not watch my teams for a political reason, it’s not that serious for me.

Advertisement
Back