Team Adjustments

TheCigar

Banned
Banned
We’re coming off of having a week off and to say the fan base is frustrated would be an understatement.

With that said I’ve put together a quick hit list of things I would like to see (not listing everything) for this team. This is an eye towards next year without sacrificing winning this year.

COACHING
Manny Diaz – Can’t say to much about this because what the head coach does behind the scenes isn’t visible on game day. But he needs to grow getting the team ready week-in-week out, which he's struggled at. Manny also needs to show he’s willing to make bold moves from a playing time standpoint, and exert more control over Baker.

Baker – Has to get better at calling defense in real time based on down and distance. He’s really struggled with this on multiple occasions. Also, the DB blitz from deep needs to be ripped out of the playbook. Also, talk to Manny and get rid of the striker position.

Stroud – Flat out he’s been the worst positional coach on the team. The defensive line has taken a giant step back under his stewardship. We lost some talent, but this unit should not be playing at this level.

Enos – Unlike most others I don’t have a problem with his style of offense – it’s varied, we run one back, two back, empty set, spread w/one RB. What I DO have a major problem is his play calling based on down & distance, situation on the field, etc. Jarren is a really good play action QB, I have no issues with calling those plays, but you never call play action deep in your own territory. NEVER. That’s OC 101. Having your QB turn his back to the line deep in your own territory is a disaster. But he does it. Stop play action on 2nd and 3rd and long.

Please, more early down passing. I promise, that will help the line. Also, stop forgetting about our two stud TEs in the 2nd half. You game plan early to get them the ball, but then the play calling changes in the 2nd half.

QB
Love what we’ve seen from Jarren. The future is bright with him. Yes, at times he holds onto the ball to long, but he keeps his eyes up & is trying to make plays. I’ll live with that and that’s something (his internal clock) that is simply fixed through reps. He’s not a dink & dunk QB – he throws the 10 – 20 yard ball well & often, often fitting the ball into tight windows. One caveat, the deep ball has to get much better. I’m not sure what’s going on here – it’s not an arm strength or timing issue. For some reason his mechanics break down – both legs and arm – almost like he’s trying to soft toss (baseball term) and guide it softly.

RBs
Need to see Lo. I like DJ & Cam, but they’re limited physically. They’re championship level starting RBs on stacked offenses who get drafted late and have solid NFL careers as backups. Lo is our best size / speed athlete on the roster, let’s see what he can do. Physically we haven’t had a hold your breath RB since Duke & Lamar, and Lo is the one RB who has the athletic ability to make us hold our breath on any play. Not saying he’ll be good, but need to see what he can do on a regular basis.

TE
Not much to say. They’re our best play makers which is really cool to say but sad to think about. Brevin is terrific. Will just needs to see the ball more and is our best YAC player on the roster. Feed them more!

WRs
Honestly, please stop saying this group is loaded. It isn’t. We have a bunch of guys that are just okay. The speed of the group is frankly sad. JT is again inconsistent. Doesn’t make contested catches, drops passes & for as great of an athlete he supposedly is he doesn’t make plays in space. KJ is a very good 2nd /3rd WR on a championship team. Hope BH develops into KJ. Hartley is a big effort guy, I appreciate that, but he’s a 5th / 6th WR on a very good team.

We need to see more of Pope & Wiggins. Again, these are two of our best athletes. Our WRs look slow. Get them on the field. Jarren is hitting WRs in stride on 10-20 yard routes. Make someone miss and take it to the house. These two are the most likely to do that.

OL
It is what it is at this point. Unfortunately we have to live w/ our two true frosh lineman and hope they develop. CD needs to continue developing into a solid center, but wow, he struggles with anchoring at times. Donaldson, well it's just sad. He's average at best. Feel bad for Scaife. He's our best o-lineman and is above average at tackle, but is elite at guard. But he's taking one for the team. His 2nd contract in the NFL will be huge at guard, unfortunately his first won't because of where we're playing him at.

For the love of god, can just one guy step as a 6th lineman so the staff isn't scared to death. Asking for two would just be silly and unrealistic.

DL
Not much to say, this group is just so surprising to me. This was supposed to be a group that wasn’t simply the best unit on the team, but best in the conference. I’m shocked by how much they’ve failed to grow, or in some cases regressed. We lost talent, but there is still plenty there.

This falls mostly on Stroud. Garvin has regressed. Patchan is healthy & playing solid against the run, but has regressed in pass rush. Love what I’m seeing from GR, but again, he’s beating people with effort & physical ability, but in terms of technique not seeing anything from coaching for him.

The DTs have been solid. Holding the line of scrimmage, but absolutely nothing happening in terms of impact play.

LB/Strikers
No way around it, Shaq & MP are who they are. Physically limited who struggle in space. We’ve known this for well over a year now. But on top of that they’ve regressed in terms of recognition & impact plays in the backfield. I was pounding the table for McCloud to be playing over one of them for two years now. Glad he’s redshirting. He’s a better athlete than both & has been screwed over by the Diaz defense.

Brooks needs burn in every game on defense. Just a couple of drives each game. He’ll be starting next to McCloud in 2020 and he needs to be ready.

Romeo & Gil have been terrific. Get rid of the striker position. Teams simply out scheme us with this ridiculous position.

CBs/Safety
To me these are the two positions that are TBD. We lost 3 multi-year starters so I expected regression, and some struggles to start the year & get progressively better as the year goes on. That happens to everyone, including Alabama. Bandy had a terrible game, but that happens. Blades absolutely should be playing over Ivey. He’s looked good and so far Ivey is playing slow (not as an athlete, but seems to be thinking way too much & slow to react). CW – burn his redshirt & get him in every game. He should be a key contributor next year.

Hall is getting better each week and will be terrific for us. Carter has been solid, but nothing more. Excited to see what Bolden brings.

Kicker
Pray

Team leadership/Identity
After four weeks I have no idea what this team’s identity is, and they need to find one quick. Also, I have no idea who the team leaders are (it’s not the senior LBs). I have no idea which player the team follows, whose personality galvanizes their teammates. That’s not good.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We are sixth in the country, giving up 59 yards a game on the ground.
Fourth in 3rd down conversion defense at 24%.
We are 12th in tackles for loss at 8+ per game.
We're 29th in sacks.
We are 13th overall in toal defense.
Garvin is 2nd in the nation in QB pressures.

Lost a lot when Willis and Jo Jackson left, but this massive regression your're talking about is fiction.

We're 29th in sacks.

Lost a lot when Willis and Jo Jackson left, but this massive regression your're talking about is fiction.
Leave I up to you to put a homer spin on it! Smh your sunshine pumping is insufferable. Op was simply saying they aren’t pressuring/getting sacks like last year and that’s a fact! And you can’t blame that on not having joe jack because Garvin is a much better natural pass rusher then him and out performed him the two years they played together. Fact is what was supposed to be the strength of our team and conference has underperformed and that’s unarguably if your living in reality and not sunshine pumper land. Lol you want to blame someone, then put the blame where it belongs on Stroud, he sucks and is a huge setback from the stud dline coach we had last year.

Leave I up to you to put a homer spin on it! Smh your sunshine pumping is insufferable. Op was simply saying they aren’t pressuring/getting sacks like last year and that’s a fact! And you can’t blame that on not having joe jack because Garvin is a much better natural pass rusher then him and out performed him the two years they played together. Fact is what was supposed to be the strength of our team and conference has underperformed and that’s unarguably if your living in reality and not sunshine pumper land. Lol you want to blame someone, then put the blame where it belongs on Stroud, he sucks and is a huge setback from the stud dline coach we had last year.
This is completely false ,he’s not a more natural pass rusher than joe Jackson and he definitely didn’t outperform the last 2 years. To this date joe Jackson is a far better player comparing his career at Miami with garvin the same amount of games played.

what I do Agree with is that the pass rush isn’t consistent enough for me and I’ve been saying that

Last edited:

His exact words were "a giant step backwards". That is simply untrue.

Honestly, how would you even know. You've ranted on here multiple times that you aren't even watching the games anymore.

Advertisement
This is completely, false he’s not a more natural pass rusher than joe Jackson and he definitely didn’t outperform the last 2 years. To this date joe Jackson is a far better player comparing his career at Miami with garvin the same amount of games played.

what I do Agree with is that the pass rush isn’t consistent enough for me and I’ve been saying that
Disagree Brock, garvin possesses a far better bend and explosion to get around the tackle.

Our D is fine. Perfect? No, but it has kept us in every game when the O sputtered. As for Stroud, I think it's more Baker than Stroud causing the DL to play the way they are. I simply can not panic over the D and the reduced sack numbers, at this point. I expected a smoother transition from Diaz to Baker, but it hasn't been terrible.

His exact words were "a giant step backwards".

Honestly, how would you even know, if you've ranted on here multiple times that you aren't even watching the games anymore?
I already told you that it only lasted for the Bethune game and then I tried to give them another chance for CMU and they let me down/disgusted me again as usual.

Advertisement
We're 29th in sacks.

Bethune Cook skews those stats. But keep in mind I'm not saying they've been bad, but the regression has been there for what was expected.

if the OL continues to suck and we continue to average 5+ sacks per game, I'd really like to see Enos not be such a stubborn coach like we've been use to for 15years, and get Jarren in the shot gun... At the same time, have jarren get rid of the ball and make stuff happen with this 20mph legs...

if we continue to see stubborn *** coaches, this will be a very painful year, and most will give up on this staff as well......

Bethune Cook skews those stats. But keep in mind I'm not saying they've been bad, but the regression has been there for what was expected.

Take a look at the rushing totals for UF and UNC and the third down conversion rates for everyone we've played.

Advertisement
We’re coming off of having a week off and to say the fan base is frustrated would be an understatement.

With that said I’ve put together a quick hit list of things I would like to see (not listing everything) for this team. This is an eye towards next year without sacrificing winning this year.

COACHING
Manny Diaz – Can’t say to much about this because what the head coach does behind the scenes isn’t visible on game day. But he needs to grow getting the team ready week-in-week out, which he's struggled at. Manny also needs to show he’s willing to make bold moves from a playing time standpoint, and exert more control over Baker.

Baker – Has to get better at calling defense in real time based on down and distance. He’s really struggled with this on multiple occasions. Also, the DB blitz from deep needs to be ripped out of the playbook. Also, talk to Manny and get rid of the striker position.

Stroud – Flat out he’s been the worst positional coach on the team. The defensive line has taken a giant step back under his stewardship. We lost some talent, but this unit should not be playing at this level.

Enos – Unlike most others I don’t have a problem with his style of offense – it’s varied, we run one back, two back, empty set, spread w/one RB. What I DO have a major problem is his play calling based on down & distance, situation on the field, etc. Jarren is a really good play action QB, I have no issues with calling those plays, but you never call play action deep in your own territory. NEVER. That’s OC 101. Having your QB turn his back to the line deep in your own territory is a disaster. But he does it. Stop play action on 2nd and 3rd and long.

Please, more early down passing. I promise, that will help the line. Also, stop forgetting about our two stud TEs in the 2nd half. You game plan early to get them the ball, but then the play calling changes in the 2nd half.

QB
Love what we’ve seen from Jarren. The future is bright with him. Yes, at times he holds onto the ball to long, but he keeps his eyes up & is trying to make plays. I’ll live with that and that’s something (his internal clock) that is simply fixed through reps. He’s not a dink & dunk QB – he throws the 10 – 20 yard ball well & often, often fitting the ball into tight windows. One caveat, the deep ball has to get much better. I’m not sure what’s going on here – it’s not an arm strength or timing issue. For some reason his mechanics break down – both legs and arm – almost like he’s trying to soft toss (baseball term) and guide it softly.

RBs
Need to see Lo. I like DJ & Cam, but they’re limited physically. They’re championship level starting RBs on stacked offenses who get drafted late and have solid NFL careers as backups. Lo is our best size / speed athlete on the roster, let’s see what he can do. Physically we haven’t had a hold your breath RB since Duke & Lamar, and Lo is the one RB who has the athletic ability to make us hold our breath on any play. Not saying he’ll be good, but need to see what he can do on a regular basis.

TE
Not much to say. They’re our best play makers which is really cool to say but sad to think about. Brevin is terrific. Will just needs to see the ball more and is our best YAC player on the roster. Feed them more!

WRs
Honestly, please stop saying this group is loaded. It isn’t. We have a bunch of guys that are just okay. The speed of the group is frankly sad. JT is again inconsistent. Doesn’t make contested catches, drops passes & for as great of an athlete he supposedly is he doesn’t make plays in space. KJ is a very good 2nd /3rd WR on a championship team. Hope BH develops into KJ. Hartley is a big effort guy, I appreciate that, but he’s a 5th / 6th WR on a very good team.

We need to see more of Pope & Wiggins. Again, these are two of our best athletes. Our WRs look slow. Get them on the field. Jarren is hitting WRs in stride on 10-20 yard routes. Make someone miss and take it to the house. These two are the most likely to do that.

OL
It is what it is at this point. Unfortunately we have to live w/ our two true frosh lineman and hope they develop. CD needs to continue developing into a solid center, but wow, he struggles with anchoring at times. Donaldson, well it's just sad. He's average at best. Feel bad for Scaife. He's our best o-lineman and is above average at tackle, but is elite at guard. But he's taking one for the team. His 2nd contract in the NFL will be huge at guard, unfortunately his first won't because of where we're playing him at.

For the love of god, can just one guy step as a 6th lineman so the staff isn't scared to death. Asking for two would just be silly and unrealistic.

DL
Not much to say, this group is just so surprising to me. This was supposed to be a group that wasn’t simply the best unit on the team, but best in the conference. I’m shocked by how much they’ve failed to grow, or in some cases regressed. We lost talent, but there is still plenty there.

This falls mostly on Stroud. Garvin has regressed. Patchan is healthy & playing solid against the run, but has regressed in pass rush. Love what I’m seeing from GR, but again, he’s beating people with effort & physical ability, but in terms of technique not seeing anything from coaching for him.

The DTs have been solid. Holding the line of scrimmage, but absolutely nothing happening in terms of impact play.

LB/Strikers
No way around it, Shaq & MP are who they are. Physically limited who struggle in space. We’ve known this for well over a year now. But on top of that they’ve regressed in terms of recognition & impact plays in the backfield. I was pounding the table for McCloud to be playing over one of them for two years now. Glad he’s redshirting. He’s a better athlete than both & has been screwed over by the Diaz defense.

Brooks needs burn in every game on defense. Just a couple of drives each game. He’ll be starting next to McCloud in 2020 and he needs to be ready.

Romeo & Gil have been terrific. Get rid of the striker position. Teams simply out scheme us with this ridiculous position.

CBs/Safety
To me these are the two positions that are TBD. We lost 3 multi-year starters so I expected regression, and some struggles to start the year & get progressively better as the year goes on. That happens to everyone, including Alabama. Bandy had a terrible game, but that happens. Blades absolutely should be playing over Ivey. He’s looked good and so far Ivey is playing slow (not as an athlete, but seems to be thinking way too much & slow to react). CW – burn his redshirt & get him in every game. He should be a key contributor next year.

Hall is getting better each week and will be terrific for us. Carter has been solid, but nothing more. Excited to see what Bolden brings.

Kicker
Pray

Team leadership/Identity
After four weeks I have no idea what this team’s identity is, and they need to find one quick. Also, I have no idea who the team leaders are (it’s not the senior LBs). I have no idea which player the team follows, whose personality galvanizes their teammates. That’s not good.
Get rid of striker so we can put a linebacker on slot receivers and athletic TE's and get burned over and over and over again?

Get rid of striker so we can put a linebacker on slot receivers and athletic TE's and get burned over and over and over again?

No, just simply play nickel & dime in those situations, and base in others. You know, how every elite team in the country plays defense.

No, just simply play nickel & dime in those situations, and base in others. You know, how every elite team in the country plays defense.

We're effectively playing nickel in base D, the striker just formalizes who that 5th DB is. Both Finley and Frierson are coverted DBs that also have the size to defend the run. How is this that complicated?

Advertisement
@TheCigar, that is a solid analysis and I can't really disagree with any of it. The closest I can get is to point out how solid we've been on run defense and suggest that as a bit of a tradeoff for a more aggressive defensive line.

Regarding team identity, that's one of those things that's hard to measure but easy to see when its missing. I will say that once this team finds its identity, the potential is definitely there.

Please post more.

We're 29th in sacks.

The play of this defense has regressed from last year. 3 of the 4 teams comprising those stats are Bethune, CMU & UNC. We’re poorly coached on both sides of the ball.

@TheCigar, that is a solid analysis and I can't really disagree with any of it. The closest I can get is to point out how solid we've been on run defense and suggest that as a bit of a tradeoff for a more aggressive defensive line.

Regarding team identity, that's one of those things that's hard to measure but easy to see when its missing. I will say that once this team finds its identity, the potential is definitely there.

Please post more.

Agree. And part of team identity is winning and leaders showing up then. It’s just tough...even last year I knew JJ was the leader on D side of the ball and on O it felt like we didn’t have a leader, but I knew the RB room was sort of the leaders whose personalities. Just feels like so far this year it’s non-existent. At least so far.

I agree regarding the defense. If i was coach, i would play a base nickel against spread teams.

De-hill, garvin
3 tech- nesta, chigoze, bethel
1 tech- ford, miller
Sde-rousseau, patchan
Ilb-shaq, joyner
Olb- pinckney, brooks
Cb-blades
Cb-ivey, williams
Nickel- bandy, couch
Ss- finley, hall
Fs- bolden, frierson

Advertisement