Tathan Martell

BostonCane

Redshirt Freshman
Idk if there was ever concrete info on here to why he left OSU. I always assumed he just didn't want to compete. But listening to the Cover 3 podcast Dennis Dodd said that when Ryan Day was hired he basically told Tate that he wasn't in their plans. That he could stay but they would be looking else where for a qb. I guess that's why OSU was in favor of him getting his waiver.

Advertisement
College Football is a business. Guarantees were certainly made to Fields about being the starter. Tate clearly believes he's good enough to spearhead a power 5 program as its QB.

I wouldn't call it running from competition, he's just smart enough to know there was no opportunity at Ohio State.

Advertisement
Advertisement
College Football is a business. Guarantees were certainly made to Fields about being the starter. Tate clearly believes he's good enough to spearhead a power 5 program as its QB.

I wouldn't call it running from competition, he's just smart enough to know there was no opportunity at Ohio State.
Especially if they told him, YOU’RE NOT IN OUR PLANS. Doesn’t leave a lot of wiggle room.

Which is odd because Day is moving towards a more pro style offense but Fields is a real dual threat guy.

I’m just as skeptical as anyone about any of our qb’s. I don’t have a dog in this race.
However, I’ll never count out a guy that’s never lost a game.
I’m sure he had a list of schools that would’ve taken him in a heart beat. I’ll bet FSU and the gates would
Be pumping their chest if he was there.
I don’t think we can question what’s in his chest.
Now let’s see if he has it between the ears and if his talent can make it on the field.
We won’t know anything until the first game.
If he becomes the starter we will still here the rumblings about how this was already in the plans cause that’s what he was promised.
If he becomes the starter we will still be thinking “is he that good or for he other guys just suck”
If someone else is the starter we have very limited film and past knucklehead behavior to wonder if this is really the dude. We will also say that **** tate must really suck if he couldn’t beat those 2 out regardless kosi or jdub.
Unless we roll the gates we will still have a lot of ? and discussions about why the staff chose the dude that lost to Mullen.
The flip to all of this is that we may actually have 3 legit d1 qb’s in the roster that had dog sht coaching before they got here. The staff knows that one will transfer out if he’s not chosen. They might be trying to figure out which one is the one they can afford to lose.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This was mentioned before. Some posters here just wanna continue the narrative that he ran from competition.

Makes sense, Martel originally welcomed Fields and said he was ready to compete and then pulled a 180 a week later and went into the portal. Sure seems like he was told something by the coaches. Add to that they actually helped him with his waiver kind of tells me that was true.

Advertisement
I'm with the fellas that say let the best man win....but Tathan balling out here and Fields being a bust at O$U and ringing in the start of some very unpleasant times for that program and their new corch would be some very tasty schadenfreude.

That said, I just wanna win here so whatever Enos decides is who I'm riding with as he's put his entire coaching reputation on spurning Lil Nicky and being the man to turn our offense into the juggernaut it should be annually.

Idk if there was ever concrete info on here to why he left OSU. I always assumed he just didn't want to compete. But listening to the Cover 3 podcast Dennis Dodd said that when Ryan Day was hired he basically told Tate that he wasn't in their plans. That he could stay but they would be looking else where for a qb. I guess that's why OSU was in favor of him getting his waiver.

Dude. No offense but this is like announcing we landed on the moon

Advertisement
Back