Targeting vs not targeting

canesmang1

Sophomore
40649B49-68AF-49CE-B2A9-9B097165634A.jpeg
509387B6-97F8-46BE-8162-BEF55D53C7F2.jpeg

Advertisement
THE Referees control the game it’s a shame how calls get handled , don’t let the game become soft, protection is always a good thing but football is football somethings get over exaggerated smh....

Attachments

• 319BB1BE-4102-4FB1-A5CE-B26094C820BA.jpeg
    319BB1BE-4102-4FB1-A5CE-B26094C820BA.jpeg
    764.3 KB · Views: 22
This is the only targeting call to the stomach that I found and clearly, the safety left his feet to launch his head at this kid.

From above, you can clearly see Smith's foot is on the ground. I wouldn't even say Smith lowered his head as much as he lowered his full body to make sure he didn't make contact with #16's head/neck. Next time I hope they go for the knees.

Advertisement
We played like crap on both sides of the ball, but we were also the recipients of some bad calls. You can't say they caused our downfall, but going from a stop on 4th down to giving up a first down because a toenail might have been too close to the line on a defensive end who moved backwards is demoralizing.

People notice the bad calls more when we lose and mopes call it blaming the refs when it's only because we examine things more closely.

Roche was ticky tack, but unfortunately was the right call.

The later targeting call on the hit to Lawrence was ridiculous. First, they never would have made the call but for the fact Lawrence was wincing on the ground for 3-4 minutes. The replay geniuses had time on their hands and health of the college game's top player in question. Second, the so-called TV rules expert & useless old fool, came on to say targeting was technically contact with the helmet from head to foot of the offensive player. Believe that's what he said. If not, correct me. But if that's the case, forget about it being a contact sport and just play flag football. You technically have targeting on about every snap, often with multiple players.

Final point, Miami needs to elevate play to where officials' calls don't impact the game.

We played like crap on both sides of the ball, but we were also the recipients of some bad calls. You can't say they caused our downfall, but going from a stop on 4th down to giving up a first down because a toenail might have been too close to the line on a defensive end who moved backwards is demoralizing.

People notice the bad calls more when we lose and mopes call it blaming the refs when it's only because we examine things more closely.
We clearly should have lost but to give the best team in the country some at best questionable calls on their two opening drives is pretty bad.

Advertisement
The only problem is he didn’t immediately throw the flag. He waited until Roche was about the catch the ball to throw the flag. Watch the replay, it’s quite obvious.
Yup I said the same thing. But the analyst straight said he threw it right away lmao

Roche was ticky tack, but unfortunately was the right call.

The later targeting call on the hit to Lawrence was ridiculous. First, they never would have made the call but for the fact Lawrence was wincing on the ground for 3-4 minutes. The replay geniuses had time on their hands and health of the college game's top player in question. Second, the so-called TV rules expert & useless old fool, came on to say targeting was technically contact with the helmet from head to foot of the offensive player. Believe that's what he said. If not, correct me. But if that's the case, forget about it being a contact sport and just play flag football. You technically have targeting on about every snap, often with multiple players.

Final point, Miami needs to elevate play to where officials' calls don't impact the game.
You’re exactly right. EVERY time an offensive player lowers his head to run over a defender it’s targeting, but on the offense. Most of these highlight reel plays of a runner trucking a defender is because the defender is scared to get a targeting penalty while the offensive player actuality gets to target the defender.

Advertisement
The only problem is he didn’t immediately throw the flag. He waited until Roche was about the catch the ball to throw the flag. Watch the replay, it’s quite obvious.

Yeah that's my problem with it also. It wouldn't have been otherwise because that happens often, a toes length over that black line. Any other day that's not called IMO because it's so close.

Advertisement
Did you see where Roche lined up? The refs always make some mistakes, but it looked to me like Roche had a foot across the line.
The line wasn't where the ball was spotted. Watch the clip again.

Pretty sure Roche dropped the ball too btw, albeit it was still a drive ending play.

That targeting call on Keontra is awful. Idc what the rules say, thats awful.

To me there should NEVER be targeting if its not helmet to helmet.

Then the obvious bias on not calling it against the Clemson player.
Targeting HAS to be intentional and it has to be helmet to helmet.

The consequences are too severe for it to be anything but. Throwing a player out of the game for an incident that happens when two 200lb+ men are running at 15mph+ at each other is ridiculous. Especially when there's basically zero penalty for an offensive player lowering their helmet to initiate contact.

Keep it a personal foul penalty, but remove the ejection aspect of it unless it's absolutely a flagrant attempt to injure someone.

We all know Sunshine is the face of college football, but the playing field should be somewhat level. He likes contact and smack talking, but we hit him to hard and it’s not OK?

When I saw the ref throw the flag for a phantom offsides as Roche intercepted Lawrence I knew the way the refs would ***** us like they always do.
He was lined up offsides man. Barely, but the right call IMO. Also, Roche dropped I think. (4th down regardless) Get it together bud! Lol

Advertisement
Back