Tampa Bay Times says Gators over Canes

Number1CanesFan

Sophomore
Just read an article in the Tampa Bay Times by college reporter Matt Baker. Baker says Florida has a veteran QB, a veteran coach, more talent and depth at the skill positions than Miami.

Baker has Florida winning by 10.

I get the veteran QB against the unknown. I question what advantage Dan Mullen brings. However, I have to shout BS on the more talented skill players and more depth at those positions.

RB - I take DJ, Cam, and Lorenzo over Pierce and Perine
TE - Come on man!!! Jordan and Will over Kemore Gamble
WR - Jeff Thomas, KJ Osborn, Pope, Harley, Hightower, Payton, Wiggins , Njoku over Grimes, Jefferson, Cleveland, Toney, Hammon, Swain

I just don't get thinking they have more and better skill position players than us. Worse case IMO is it's a wash at the skill positions.

You can read the article here:

Your Thoughts?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I hope they continue to try and trash us and make us the underdog. I want our players and Manny to smash them....then guess what?
Dont be a fan later...you will start to see all the bandwagon fans coming out of the woodwork after we destroy the gator.

Nothing wrong with bandwagon fans. It means we are winning. I would remind all swamp scum that they are the only major program to lose to Al Golden. Let that sink in. I like last minute wins against the noles because it causes them nightmare memories, but swamp slime lizards need to have thier hides pealed by crushing defeats.

They're favored because they're ranked higher and we have a lot of question marks about the offense and depth. The 10 point thing is just pablum for their fan base. The odds are that they beat us, so theres no downside for suggesting a 10 point margin. It just gets them clicks.

Advertisement
Yeah I don’t agree with the talent comment, except for the cb and linebacker position (they signed an impressing linebacker class in 2019)Miami has out-recruited them at **** near every position. They are vastly overrating their talent.
If you go position by position outside of cb and qb what other position does uf has THE MOST TALENTED player between the 2 teams?

Qb- franks has the best arm talent imo, was productive last year considering where he was at before. Still would take Miami qb depth over theirs.

Rb- id take lingard or cam over anything they got at rb including perine who is slow and not explosive.

Wr- Jeff Thomas is better than their best at receiver. They have talent and we have talent at receiver here. Feel confidently saying the duo of Thomas and Osborn will outperform grimes and Jefferson their two top receivers.

Te- jordan/Mallory/Irvin >>>> uf te Kyle Pitts/krull/gamble

Ol- scaife/Donaldson >>> than anyone on their starting lineup. Just look at the talent I know Oline is a crapshoot but they are replacing 4 starters, only one guy in their projected was blue chip/4 star talent. Meanwhile a possible combo for Miami this year could be Lt scaife lg Donaldson c gaynor RG reed RT Herbert(all but one of them , gaynor were blue chip recruits).

Dt- id take the combo of Nesta Silvera/ford >> kyree Campbell/Adam shuler who are uf dts.
Lb- Pinckney/shaq>>> uf starting linebackers by far.

Cb- henderson> Miami cbs. They have more potential here and depth probably but Miami group is still talented regardless. Wilson is coming off an injury and he doesn’t have a favorable matchup vs Thomas game 1...

Safety- Gurvan Hall/bubba bolden>>> than anyone uf has

So that’s 2 positions out of how many you confidently can say they have a better talent at than Miami ?

Last edited:
Bottom Line.....

They are right. As it currently stands, they have a big advantage at QB, WR, and DB. We are better at TE and RB is probably a wash. We’ve got a better DL and they are probably in a better spot than us at OL. LB is probably a wash because our depth sucks.

If the game were played today, UF would win bigly. Fortunately, we don’t play till August and a lot can and hopefully will change before then.

Advertisement
Never heard of this baker guy. Don’t give any credibility to journalists on anything opinion oriented. Just another opinion.

They are right. As it currently stands, they have a big advantage at QB, WR, and DB. We are better at TE and RB is probably a wash. We’ve got a better DL and they are probably in a better spot than us at OL. LB is probably a wash because our depth sucks.

If the game were played today, UF would win bigly. Fortunately, we don’t play till August and a lot can and hopefully will change before then.
Lol at big advantage of receiver AND DB. Their safeties are trash... cbs are good but we saw Missouri air that sh*t out against along with other teams. Miami receivers are just as talented as uf’s if not more, they just have a bit more proven experience.

Franks Is an experienced starter so I’ll give you that

Mama say da game gonna bee won or lost in da TrEnCHeS.

Mama say dem Gator writers bee so ornery cause they got all them teefes and no tooth brush to brush dem with.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Breaking news. They picked the favorite to win? No way!

Anyway. We are better at RB, TE and two deep at WR. Thomas and Osborn are better than their top two, but that have more experienced depth at WR. RB is arguable because Perine is a nice player....but TE is laughable. Jordan and Mallory will both be first rounders.

Just read an article in the Tampa Bay Times by college reporter Matt Baker. Baker says Florida has a veteran QB, a veteran coach, more talent and depth at the skill positions than Miami.

Baker has Florida winning by 10.

I get the veteran QB against the unknown. I question what advantage Dan Mullen brings. However, I have to shout BS on the more talented skill players and more depth at those positions.

RB - I take DJ, Cam, and Lorenzo over Pierce and Perine
TE - Come on man!!! Jordan and Will over Kemore Gamble
WR - Jeff Thomas, KJ Osborn, Pope, Harley, Hightower, Payton, Wiggins , Njoku over Grimes, Jefferson, Cleveland, Toney, Hammon, Swain

I just don't get thinking they have more and better skill position players than us. Worse case IMO is it's a wash at the skill positions.

You can read the article here:

Your Thoughts?
The QB position, by far, goes to UF especially from an experience standpoint. They have a known commodity and we don't even have a starter
You can say what you want about Mullen, but dude won games at Miss St with little talent. At this point in their careers, Mullen is a pretty proven head coach and this will be Manny's first game as HC.

RB - DJ is just as football player and I believe he may be better than any of the RBs on their roster. But, honestly, Cam has had limited real game experience and Lingard, hardly any.
WR - I think we have more talent - especially with JT, but their receivers have been more productive over their careers. Once again, we don't have a starter.
TE - UM and it's not even close.

I also think UM has the skill advantage on most of the defensive positions.

Advertisement
Well they went out on a limb there...........we have a weak OL and a new system with possibly a new qb. I think its rougher on us then them, they have same talent we have maybe better and a good staff. The only measuring stick people are going by is LSU last year where they bodied them and we got bodied, different staff on O for us with growing pains early. It could be a close game and possibly will but of course most will pick the Gators cause logic says UF. I think if we hang with them early we can steal it we cant fall behind quick because every time we do we quit...........if it stays close and the OL can hold up a bit then we in business. I think Enos and Mullet are the keys to the game.

Edit: I hope everyone picks the gators means no pressure on us, we play bad when we are getting sunshine pumped in the tabloids.

Advertisement
Back