Tampa Bay Times says Gators over Canes

did we not quit vs Wisky? vs Pitt the year before that, we sometimes have a bad habit (and I get it) of the D just packing it in cause the offense cant move a yard. Ufa9 had a good season with a competent coach they should be able to be decent at least, the games a toss up but I get them being favored.
It's a new year. Florida lost 5 upper class offensive lineman. Four of them were starters. Their offensive line is probably weaker than ours as they are looking at the Portal for help. You can't compare them to last year. Didn't we learn that for ourselves from the 2017 to 2018 season.

Advertisement
It's a new year. Florida lost 5 upper class offensive lineman. Four of them were starters. Their offensive line is probably weaker than ours as they are looking at the Portal for help. You can't compare them to last year. Didn't we learn that for ourselves from the 2017 to 2018 season.
Yea thats why I said it will be a close game, both teams r similar

Just read an article in the Tampa Bay Times by college reporter Matt Baker. Baker says Florida has a veteran QB, a veteran coach, more talent and depth at the skill positions than Miami.

Baker has Florida winning by 10.

I get the veteran QB against the unknown. I question what advantage Dan Mullen brings. However, I have to shout BS on the more talented skill players and more depth at those positions.

RB - I take DJ, Cam, and Lorenzo over Pierce and Perine
TE - Come on man!!! Jordan and Will over Kemore Gamble
WR - Jeff Thomas, KJ Osborn, Pope, Harley, Hightower, Payton, Wiggins , Njoku over Grimes, Jefferson, Cleveland, Toney, Hammon, Swain

I just don't get thinking they have more and better skill position players than us. Worse case IMO is it's a wash at the skill positions.

You can read the article here:

Your Thoughts?

I think the gaytors proved more last year than we did. They can (as of now) claim to be on the right track, so an unbiased person will absolutely pick them. As for talent, maybe you would take our guys, but their guys have actually produced on the field, and ours are largely about potential. Had we played them first game last year, the roles might have been reversed. We looked like we might have turned the corner and our guys had proven themselves while they looked like the suck *** team they are.

Our special teams will be a big factor, last year they killed us. If special teams perform like Hurricanes we win...

Advertisement
Folden also beat Ohio Taint. But they sucked that year.

I forgot that, dang Al really made no positive impact. Oh, gator end up sucking that year two but they came in ranked and undefeated. They crashed and burned after Al took them to the showers(see what I’d did there?)

11/24 140 vs Miami they certainly didn’t win because of him

We beat ourselves that day. Kept multiple scoring drives alive with silly penalties (Bandy ejection, Djax personal foul & Tito offside), punted the ball backwards, turned it over, missed a FG. Burrow didn't beat us but he didn't have to. Hopefully we learn from our mistakes and put Franks in a position where he's forced to make plays.

So many questions surrounding Miami's offense, QB, OL, WRs, special teams. All were horrific in 2018 so that's what everyone remembers.
I get it, but I don't think Florida has a talent advantage on offense and it certainly isn't deeper than ours. Perhaps more known quantities since they had a good season last year. Remember, last year has nothing to do with this year other than expectations. Florida doesn't have a great or even good offensive line on paper as 4 of 5 starters have moved on plus a senior backup that played a lot. So, they have offensive line issues as well. It will be interesting to see what they put out there on the offensive line and whether they can run the ball on our defense. Their whole offense was predicated on running the ball and keeping Frank's in favorable positions to reduce his risk and stress levels. I'd like to keep them in 3rd and long and force Frank's to beat us. I imagine that will be Florida's game plan as well. Stop our running game and make an unproven QB beat them.

It's going to be a really good game. I think whichever offense gets going will win as both defenses should be solid. I do give them the edge because Frank's is now a junior. He's a veteran. A known quantity that UF knows how to win with. I just don't think they can have the same formula as their offensive line won't be as good. Perhaps Frank's carries more of the load this year.

This would be a huge win for us and push us into the top 20. I think like us last year, UF is overrated going into week 1. They'll be ranked in the top 10, but won't have a team as good as last year.

Last edited:
I think the gaytors proved more last year than we did. They can (as of now) claim to be on the right track, so an unbiased person will absolutely pick them. As for talent, maybe you would take our guys, but their guys have actually produced on the field, and ours are largely about potential. Had we played them first game last year, the roles might have been reversed. We looked like we might have turned the corner and our guys had proven themselves while they looked like the suck *** team they are.
Last year is last year. I didn't say he was wrong for picking them. The issue is whether UF has more and better talent on offense and I say NO. At best it's even or slight advantage at QB only in that Frank's is a known quantity and we don't know what we have.

Florida lost nearly it's entire offense line plus a backup that played a lot. That's a huge deal!!! They can't be a good running the ball as last year. At least not in week 1. Their offense is predicated on running the ball, moving the chains, and keeping Frank's out of stressful 3rd and long situations. Perhaps Frank's is ready to carry more of the load this year. We know he'll make mistakes when under pressure. We'll find out soon enough.

Advertisement
Yea thats why I said it will be a close game, both teams r similar
I agree. It should be a close game as both teams should have really good defenses and both teams will have unproven offensive lines. The team that eliminates turnovers and has the most success on offense will win.

I just don't think they have an advantage at all the skill positions that the Tampa Bay beat writer claims.

Why is this a surprise? I expect every publication in the country to pick UF over us. Diaz is a new head coach. UF beat LSU and blew out FSU and beat their Big 10 opponent in their bowl game. A Miami victory would shock the world, a la Notre Dame.

Why is this a surprise? I expect every publication in the country to pick UF over us. Diaz is a new head coach. UF beat LSU and blew out FSU and beat their Big 10 opponent in their bowl game. A Miami victory would shock the world, a la Notre Dame.
That's not a surprise. They should be favored. However, the surprise is saying that Florida will win by 10 because they have better skilled position players and are deeper at those positions. Outside of QB (only in that our guy will be unproven), I don't see an offensive advantage of personnel and they certainly are NOT deeper than us on offense per the Tampa Bay Times beat writer.

On the offensive line, they are a greater unknown than us as they only have 1 returning starter on the O-line and their #1backup last year was a senior. So, Florida lost 5 of it's 6 top offensive lineman.

I agree. It should be a close game as both teams should have really good defenses and both teams will have unproven offensive lines. The team that eliminates turnovers and has the most success on offense will win.

I just don't think they have an advantage at all the skill positions that the Tampa Bay beat writer claims.
I think they have experience at qb and knowing the O from the previous season, us starting a qb in a new offense for the first time could be difficult with there D being good. Our D has to play lights out

Advertisement
Agree it shouldn't shock anyone based on what u just said

I think they have experience at qb and knowing the O from the previous season, us starting a qb in a new offense for the first time could be difficult with there D being good. Our D has to play lights out
I look at it differently. I look at our offense as an advantage because Florida will be looking at Alabama and Arkansas film to figure out what we are going to do and they don't know which QB to prepare for.

Like the LSU game last year, we were the favorite because we were the known quantity and had a 10-3 record the previous season. LSU had an unproven transfer QB. We had a veteran QB. The money always goes on the well known team based on the previous year, but it doesn't guarantee a winning outcome as we know so well.

Advertisement
I look at it differently. I look at our offense as an advantage because Florida will be looking at Alabama and Arkansas film to figure out what we are going to do and they don't know which QB to prepare for.

Like the LSU game last year, we were the favorite because we were the known quantity and had a 10-3 record the previous season. LSU had an unproven transfer QB. We had a veteran QB. The money always goes on the well known team based on the previous year, but it doesn't guarantee a winning outcome as we know so well.
Yea I get u, also the Mullet O vs Manny being that they know each other will be big too. Mullet is really good on O always has been and his teams are always physical up front on both sides of the ball. Edit: I am hoping thats its similar to last year where Miami was favored to beat LSU but still some people picked LSU being that there SEC. Hopefully UF is a shell of what they were last year and we have gotten better across the board

I would say the skill position talent favors Miami because of Thomas and Jordan. Dallas and Perine are about equal. Jefferson and Osborn the same with perhaps a slight edge to Jefferson because he's played in the SEC. Nobody else on either side has proven much. I'd give UF's receivers an edge because ours were absolutely dreadful last year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back