Tampa Bay Bucs assistant OC coach Butch Barry is expected to become the new O-line coach

Advertisement
Somebody who coached at the pro level is probably good at their job. Tampa Bay has not had great talent to work with on the o-line. Their recent drafts have not focused on the o-line.

Advertisement
Well. Here is his bio from the TB website. His lines were wet dog **** in Tampa. This thing is not exactly a rave review.

Butch Barry begins his fourth season as assistant offensive line coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2018.

While this past season saw tackle Donovan Smith miss the first snaps of his career, Smith still managed to start all 16 games for the third consecutive season, joining Paul Gruber as the only players in franchise history to start all 48 games in their first three seasons. Barry also assisted Ali Marpet as Marpet transitioned from guard to center and new starter J.R. Sweezy slotted in at right guard. The offensive line helped to block for an offense that averaged 363.5 yards per game, the ninth-most in the NFL, and 352 total first downs, the second-most in the league.

The 2016 season saw second-year players guard Ali Marpet and tackle Donovan Smith play every single snap for the Buccaneers, while third-year guard Kevin Pamphile started all 14 games he played in, after having four total starts in his first two seasons. Marpet, Pamphile and Smith, along with center Joe Hawley and tackle Demar Dotson, were the main starters for a Buccaneers offense that converted a franchise-record 43.9 percent of third down attempts, the sixth-highest mark in the NFL.

In 2015, his first season with the team, Barry assisted an offensive line that featured two rookie starters, but still managed to block for the NFL’s second-leading rusher (Doug Martin – 1,402 yards) and tied for the fourth-fewest sacks allowed in the league, after ranking 29th in rushing and 29th in sacks allowed in the previous season

Barry joined the Buccaneers from Central Michigan University, where he spent the previous five seasons coaching the offensive line (2014) and tight ends (2010-13). In 2014, Barry’s unit paved the way for a 1,000-yard season by running back Thomas Rawls, a key cog in the Chippewas’ offense who rushed for 1,103 yards and 10 touchdowns in only nine games. As tight ends coach, Barry headed a group that combined for 63 receptions for 644 yards and six touchdowns over 2012-13, while helping Central Michigan record another 1,000-yard rusher in Zurlon Tipton, who finished with 1,492 yards and 19 touchdowns in 2012.

Barry began his coaching career with the Chippewas as a graduate assistant in 2002-03 prior to coaching stops at Southwest Minnesota State University (2004-05), Michigan Tech University (2006-08) and North Greenville University (2009).
Saban wasnt all that good in the NFL either.

Fitz,, not so much

Not really but he often decided to run before the snap. Bucs faced a lot of 2-man coverage especially when Fitz was playing so he was able to run for a lot of 1st downs. The exception was the Steelers who exposed him and the OL with a variety of fronts and pressures.

But he and Winston are 2 of the worst when it comes to throwing into traffic (INTs) instead of taking a sack. We actually won more games when Jameis started taking sacks and checkdowns instead of forcing throws.

Advertisement
This new Da U **** :love:

:img-0076c:
So, Kendrick Norton is really BB King reincarnated?
4 years with Penos.
4 years as Bucs assistant offensive line coach.
I will say this though..... There's 32 oline coaching jobs and he has one so yeah he's pretty good
No. He's not OL coach, he's assistant OL coach. Just like Simpson was not THE DL coach for the Falcons, he was the Asst. DL coach.

Still, that's a pretty elite level to be coaching in the NFL.

A friend of mine's son started out as a special teams assistant about 6-8 years ago in the NFL. Now he"s the secondary coach. It's a team that"s been to the Super Bowl during that time. People rise through the ranks and any type of coaching position in the NFL is pretty good.

Look, Kuligowski has not gotten a job in the NFL yet and he's a top college position coach.

I'm starting to think we got this all wrong. Maybe its like the more outrage on the boards, with the hires, the better they really are!!
I'm outraged and I don't even know at what!

I want to write a letter to Julio Frenk and demand that he fire Blake. I will threaten not to renew my season tickets. I will get my lawyer involved. I don't have season tickets and I don't have a lawyer but that won't stop me.

Advertisement
Back