Talent in SFL no longer present....

Yeah, South Florida has stopped producing talent.

Just posted by Jeff Darlington on Twitter...

NFL Players by City

Miami - 30
Houston - 23
Los Angeles - 17
Dallas - 14

And that doesn't even count Broward and Palm Beach

Advertisement
I attend several high school games per year. It's not physical football in Dade County anymore. There's an increasing spread reliance, creating wide open spaces. The unmistakable feel of lazy coaching. Make a mistake or penalty on one play and it's no big deal because the next one will bust wide open. So many of the rosters are way down in numbers from decades ago, apparently because Hispanics don't prioritize football. When the defense has no threat of size or depth you know they'll eventually cave.

I'm convinced many local kids leave high school believing that's all it will take at the next level. We're fast and athletic, therefore we win.

I don't sense the rugged instinctive types. When there's an exception, it really stands out. Perryman at Coral Gables was all over the field. You could pick him out immediately as the best player out there. During his senior year Gables was way down from a year earlier. They'd use Perryman spread out everywhere, including deep in the secondary covering the opposition's best receiver. Then the next play he'd crash the backfield.

I have often wondered the same thing, with so many sofla teams running the spread it takes a certain toll on our recruiting. We are not getting kids that played in an I formation but kids that played in the shotgun their whole careers. I have also thought for some time that we made a HUGE mistake as a team by trying to stick to our guns with our pro-set offense. We should have gone with the times or even been a leader of the times and gone to a spread a long time ago. Now we are wayyy behind the curve as a program. I think a guy like Holgorsen or Leach would look like GENIUSES coaching these types from sofla. Just look at Geno Smith in that system! We 'were' the leaders of CFB now we are a follower, kinda makes me feel like ND! lol

STA better athletes than Bosco,
Bosco better coached and more disciplined will end up winning.
STA kid tried to field a punt inside the 5 yard line in traffic and dropped it. Bosco recovered at the 1 and punched it in on the next play for a TD that blew the game open for them.

that's because you are looking at talent TEN YEARS AGO and comparing their NFL careers to guys STILL IN COLLEGE dummy..

get back to us in ten more years and tell us that Miller was not as talented as Gore- who know?! Gore was injured nearly an ENTIRE YEAR at UM and when he came back he was fat and out of shape! people complained how he sucked! only two years into his NFL career did gore become gore!

There's talent here and there will always be! I'm simply saying that SFL hasn't produced elite level talent as of late compared to that it has in the past! You geniuses disprove what I say by mentioning lemarcus Joyner, lemar miller, Ty Hilton, Olivier Vernon, corey liuget , Xavier Rhodes...... and stating that they compare with the Gore, Sean T, Vilma, Wilford, Santana, Andre J (perennial pro bowlers!!!!).

I know there's legit talent here and there will always be, just doesn't seem to be what it's been

Advertisement
Just looked over some 2013 mock NFL drafts and didn't see any premier NFL talent from down here other then G.Smith(which is a QB and never happens). I just don't see the talent that used to come out of here, the Frank Gores, Willis Mcgahees, Andre Johnson's, Santa Moss's, Vilma's, Wilforks, Sean T's........ Is it more that we haven't developed the talent we've had down here or that we haven't been producing premier talent in SFL? Other then Patrick Peterson what have been the big misses over the last several years?

Legit question.

Ignore the haters.

Have wondered this myself. Fact is, it's not just Miami that has been down the last few years. Florida State and Florida as well.

It's a legit question to wonder why all three in state schools are no longer what they once were.

I remember a time when UM, FSU, and UF could legitimately be ranked #1, #2, AND #3.

That's not ALL on coaching. Sorry, but it's probably not.

Maybe the High School talent in the 80's and 90's in South Florida was lightning in a bottle. I'm not saying it isn't good now, but maybe it isn't as good, relatively speaking, as it was back in those days... to where it could support 3 major college programs each year.

And don't tell me players didn't leave the state back then either. Derrick Thomas, Anthony Carter, Ochocinco, Randy Moss, and company want a word with you.

We'll see what this latest class from S Fla does under Golden. BUT.... if they don't reach the levels of the guys from the 80's and 90's.... it's perfectly fair to say that the HS football in the rest of the country has caught up with our kids in S Florida.

I attend several high school games per year. It's not physical football in Dade County anymore. There's an increasing spread reliance, creating wide open spaces. The unmistakable feel of lazy coaching. Make a mistake or penalty on one play and it's no big deal because the next one will bust wide open. So many of the rosters are way down in numbers from decades ago, apparently because Hispanics don't prioritize football. When the defense has no threat of size or depth you know they'll eventually cave.

I'm convinced many local kids leave high school believing that's all it will take at the next level. We're fast and athletic, therefore we win.

I don't sense the rugged instinctive types. When there's an exception, it really stands out. Perryman at Coral Gables was all over the field. You could pick him out immediately as the best player out there. During his senior year Gables was way down from a year earlier. They'd use Perryman spread out everywhere, including deep in the secondary covering the opposition's best receiver. Then the next play he'd crash the backfield.

Except the spread is the primary offense pretty much everywhere, particularly so in places like Texas.

Advertisement
Back