Takes From Yesterday's Game (semi-long)

Some quick hitters I noticed:

-Walton showed a lot of want...just need him to continue to improve his vision and feet. The feet are getting a tad bit better

Walton has poor vision to be a starting running back here. I am not sure that vision can be improved upon, same deal with feet, but to a lesser extent.

I agree with you - I don't really see how Walton can "improve". He had his best game yesterday which was great to see, but he is who he is.

I'm resigned to the fact that barring signing a stud RB, Walton will be Miami's starting RB this rest of this year, and the next 2 years, which makes me cringe.

I'm happy to see Gus is at least being used as the short yardage back now.

Advertisement
Still, take away the kickoff return TD and the busted coverage TD pass and we're talking about a measly 14 points surrendered by defense/special teams.

I'm very much against the "take away..." arguments because they're nonsense, but you've taken it to a new level with this one. Take away a 100 yard kick return TD, and our STs gave up no TDs?

It's more to explain that although the scoreboard showed 28 points for Pitt, the defense actually played better than that.

Still, take away the kickoff return TD and the busted coverage TD pass and we're talking about a measly 14 points surrendered by defense/special teams.

I'm very much against the "take away..." arguments because they're nonsense, but you've taken it to a new level with this one. Take away a 100 yard kick return TD, and our STs gave up no TDs?

Yep. Also works both ways - take away the Jenkins INT - etc...

Rell good write up

Ayo AR as we thought (most of us) is the real deal.

Keep keeping kids that bama wants home and we will beback in no time

I didn't go back and re-watch the game at all, but it seemed like the play calling was largely the same. Our WRs simply had a lot of separation and space, Kaaya made good throws, and the OL blocked better.

Couldn't disagree more. It was night and day.

More passing on early downs and the route combinations were attacking the middle of the field.

Advertisement
Whats keeping this defense from being elite next year is better DB play especially from the safeties and more consistent pass rush. The DL has been good but we still lack consistent pressure from a 4 man rush. We dont see our DE's beat the tackles clean and get to the QB very often. Hopefully coach Kool will improve this next year. Our LB's will be elite next year. Theyve made a lot of mistakes but they should improve immensely.

Need to see better ball skills from the DBs.

Redwine and Young were both in good position and allowed long completions.

Agree with OP. Personally, I'm glad to see this performance as it should remind everyone that Kayaa doesn't suck so much as he's played suckily for too much of the season. Maybe others don't care about the distinction, but to me it's important. The difference is that you bench a QB who sucks, and you work with a struggling but talented QB to get his issues fixed. Kayaa is the best, by far, that we've got. Replacing him this year will in no way give us a better chance at winning. Same for the OL, RBs and play calling. We're using the best we have, we just need to get more out of them.

I didn't go back and re-watch the game at all, but it seemed like the play calling was largely the same. Our WRs simply had a lot of separation and space, Kaaya made good throws, and the OL blocked better.

Couldn't disagree more. It was night and day.

More passing on early downs and the route combinations were attacking the middle of the field.

I disagree with both of you. I don't think it was largely the same or night and day different.

It was right in the middle. So suck it.

Advertisement
Can't wait until Carter is gone.

It could be worse. We could have the Golden Girls back. At least he's got balls. I can respect that..

110213-spt-um-vs-fsu012.jpg

QLUOIIVXDIXTSKX.20131024174338.jpg

Rather see this, then tackling your own man to get to the man your aiming at and running away from a RB coming at you.

Great write up Rell, can't believe I missed this yesterday lol

Agree with you on all points, especially on Jamal...

We're going to have a bunch of Safety's next year with Rome Finely, Amari Carter, Ced Wright, Jeff James & Billy Gibson, our guys will be very young & inexperienced, but I think they'll have good potential to be a lot better as far as how we use them scheme wise.

I also think Quan will be able to play full time FS, which can give us more flexibility in the secondary & Bandy will essentially move into that Nickel Rover spot.

[MENTION=9116]Rellyrell[/MENTION] bringin it strong. Great points. Great way to look at the future in a positive light. Things are looking up.

Advertisement
Rather see this, then tackling your own man to get to the man your aiming at and running away from a RB coming at you.

Do you actually prefer either Highsmith or Rodgers to Carter? No judging. Just curious.

Well, maybe a little judging.

Rell good write up

Ayo AR as we thought (most of us) is the real deal.

Keep keeping kids that bama wants home and we will beback in no time

That's the point, D. Keep kids home and no more Bama, no more Clemson, and def no more FSU. All these kids be throwing up the 305, like they paying homage to their city...how bout you actually play for your city! Richt can now tell all these top WRs in the back yard, "see what we're doing w/ AR? That's how we're going to use you too." Bama uses the Cooper comparison, we need to start using the AR comparison.

Do you actually prefer either Highsmith or Rodgers to Carter? No judging. Just curious.

Well, maybe a little judging.

You're basically asking do I prefer a kick to the nut or a slap to the nuts. I prefer neither. I respect effort from less talented players over just dumb football by guys who were considered highly sought after. Carter looks like an ideal safety, he lays hits, but his effort sucks at times. Highsmith and Rodgers had no business being here, period. That's a fact, so I can't judge them as oppose to the stupid coach that put them in over their heads.

Advertisement
[MENTION=9116]Rellyrell[/MENTION] bringin it strong. Great points. Great way to look at the future in a positive light. Things are looking up.

They really are. Yeah, I was one who was super ****ed about our 4 game losing streak, but it was more based upon how we lost v. the loss itself. We need a strong 17 class, like top 10 worthy (preferably top 8) and I do feel in 3 years, we'll be competing for playoff births.

Great write up Rell, can't believe I missed this yesterday lol

Agree with you on all points, especially on Jamal...

We're going to have a bunch of Safety's next year with Rome Finely, Amari Carter, Ced Wright, Jeff James & Billy Gibson, our guys will be very young & inexperienced, but I think they'll have good potential to be a lot better as far as how we use them scheme wise.

I also think Quan will be able to play full time FS, which can give us more flexibility in the secondary & Bandy will essentially move into that Nickel Rover spot.

Thanks [MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION]

The future is bright man. Carter is, man he def ain't poetry in motion. lol. He's more like a horror novel by Stephen King, except we don't look forward to reading it. lol.

Here's my most important positions in football: OL, DL, S.

If you don't have strong safety play, you'll leave your DBs and LBs butt naked if they can't keep up on assignment or if they blow an assignment. I've seen Carter w/ bad angels, running over his own guy causing him to lose containment, drop ints hitting him square in the hands, and fumble a fumble recovery when it was just him and the ball. He looks like a physical specimen and plays football like an autopsy specimen. Smh.

Agree with OP. Personally, I'm glad to see this performance as it should remind everyone that Kayaa doesn't suck so much as he's played suckily for too much of the season. Maybe others don't care about the distinction, but to me it's important. The difference is that you bench a QB who sucks, and you work with a struggling but talented QB to get his issues fixed. Kayaa is the best, by far, that we've got. Replacing him this year will in no way give us a better chance at winning. Same for the OL, RBs and play calling. We're using the best we have, we just need to get more out of them.

Richt hasn't called plays in a while, so maybe he forgot how to adjust things to fit your personnel. Running screen passes was refreshing to see. Seeing quick out was refreshing to see. Utilizing the TE down the middle of the field, running some underneaths...that was all refreshing to see. If you do that from here on out, we'll be tough to beat, period. We gave away 3 games this year, and can't no one convince me otherwise. Part of it was play calling and the other part was players...but I'm putting it as 65% play calling and 35% players.

Whats keeping this defense from being elite next year is better DB play especially from the safeties and more consistent pass rush. The DL has been good but we still lack consistent pressure from a 4 man rush. We dont see our DE's beat the tackles clean and get to the QB very often. Hopefully coach Kool will improve this next year. Our LB's will be elite next year. Theyve made a lot of mistakes but they should improve immensely.

got dizzam, spot on!

Advertisement
Back