Takes From Yesterday's Game (semi-long)

Calling AR15 the future is a "nice" compliment, but it does not begin to tell the story.

He could leave a school well known for producing WR's as one of our all time greats.

I know he is only a freshman, but he is improving every game. His performance can only help attract Hollomand and other '17 WR recruits.

I agree and can become our Amari Cooper. He's absolutely murdering DBs right now and he was cheated out of his 2nd TD yesterday. How do you hit the pylon w ball w in possession and that's not a TD??

No offense, but we have had plenty of receivers better than Amari Cooper, we don't need to compare our players to some Bama *******.

Advertisement
Relly, nice post, as it relates to Walton Im not so sure those things you talk about(vision,feet) can really be coached up or taught. Those things are intangibles that you have to be born with as a RB. That's why I think his best role is as of a pass catching RB( where he has done some really nice things out of the backfield and I think both he and Yearby have been woefully underused in that area. But it was good to see more than one screen yesterday)

As for Carter, yeah, he's just a more muscular version of Lovon Ponder or Willie Cooper. He looks the part but simply can't play

I'd like to see Walton and Yearby catching more passes. Both have solid hands and would be good on wheel routes.

Absolutely! Would like to see them split out or used in wheel routes. Both have great hands.

Redundancy department of redundancy

If Carter gets a shot in the league it will be as a WILL backer....that's where he should be playing

The secondary is so thin, we can't afford to move our most experienced player out of the rotation.. In an ideal world, I do think he would provide great depth (and maybe production) at the LB position.

If Carter gets a shot in the league it will be as a WILL backer....that's where he should be playing

The secondary is so thin, we can't afford to move our most experienced player out of the rotation.. In an ideal world, I do think he would provide great depth (and maybe production) at the LB position.

oh no I totally agree we needed him back there this season. But if an NFL team gives him a shot they will ask him to switch to Backer. Like they did Ray Ray

Advertisement
Would it kill us to give Knowles, Finley, Wright some of Carter's reps?

I'm about ready for Coley to graduate and get the **** out of my life.

Advertisement
Though I agree with most of the OP's observations, one overlooked fact is that most our our big runs came after their big DT was injured and left the game. That loosened up the run game.... we got the chance to double team their other DT consistently after that.

Good summary. I was pretty happy overall with how the game played out on Saturday. Kudos to Richt and the offensive staff for finally tweaking the game plan and going with what works. Setting up the run with the pass and using short passes on first down to set up 2nd and short opportunities. It makes play action easier and if you try a run on 2nd and 3, you still have an easy 3rd down conversion if the run gets stuffed. Offensive line played their best game of the season as far as I'm concerned. Pitt has been lights out stopping the run and rushing the passer this year and they only got to Kaaya once. It was nice to see him tuck it and take off a few times against man coverage. We give Coley lots of crap but he knows how to catch touchdown passes. He's money on endzone fade routes. Richards was a gamebreaker and seems to be doing a better job of concentrating and not dropping the easy ones. Njoku showed his feakish talent too but he's got to stop trying to run before securing the catch. Two more drops on easy passes that would have gone for first downs.

Defense was solid but the busted coverages disturbed me. Not just the 75 yard touchdown pass where there was nobody within 20 yards of the receiver but on multiple 3rd and longs, Pitt was able to convert with deep passes. Also, how many times do they have to run the shovel pass to the fullback before someone on defense picks up on it? Still, take away the kickoff return TD and the busted coverage TD pass and we're talking about a measly 14 points surrendered by defense/special teams. Timely pass rush and a nice pick in the endzone by Jenkins. Carter continues to look bad in coverage.

Overall, a nice bounce back win to get off the losing streak against a pretty solid team. Pitt isn't a cupcake. They need to keep up the consistency in the coming weeks. Winning the next three seems very possible if not probable.

Advertisement
My take on Saturday's game was very simple.....RICHT FINALLY CALLED A COMPETENT OFFENSIVE GAME.

If he had taken this approach in the previous 4 games, we'd currently have, at worst, ONE loss and still be in the running for the Coastal. I saw a lot more passing on early downs. I saw a lot more running into boxes that were more spread out cause they were worried about the quick passing game, and I saw a lot more route combinations attacking the middle of the field.

In short, for the first time this year against a non high school opponent I saw a competent game plan. If this is a permanent change then hopefully we've moved on from Richt's 4 game brain fart and can start moving this program in the right direction.

However, if he reverts to type.....the cries for a dedicated OC will only get louder. I want to see it over the final 5 games.

Advertisement
Can't wait until Carter is gone.

It could be worse. We could have the Golden Girls back. At least he's got balls. I can respect that..

110213-spt-um-vs-fsu012.jpg

QLUOIIVXDIXTSKX.20131024174338.jpg

I didn't go back and re-watch the game at all, but it seemed like the play calling was largely the same. Our WRs simply had a lot of separation and space, Kaaya made good throws, and the OL blocked better.

Still, take away the kickoff return TD and the busted coverage TD pass and we're talking about a measly 14 points surrendered by defense/special teams.

I'm very much against the "take away..." arguments because they're nonsense, but you've taken it to a new level with this one. Take away a 100 yard kick return TD, and our STs gave up no TDs?

Some quick hitters I noticed:

-Walton showed a lot of want...just need him to continue to improve his vision and feet. The feet are getting a tad bit better

Walton has poor vision to be a starting running back here. I am not sure that vision can be improved upon, same deal with feet, but to a lesser extent.

Advertisement
Back