Tailgating 2021?

AlexCane

Senior
I've seen reports that Miami expects full or near capacity once the season rolls around. Has anything been said about tailgating and whether it will be permitted? (If so, I've missed it.)

I'm guessing, but I presume the primary argument against it is that it could still enforce a mask policy in the stadium whereas tailgating would likely encourage folks congregating maskless eating, drinking, etc.

Advertisement
A lot will depend on what kind of numbers we're seeing by then. If we don't see another spike, it will be pretty hard to get people to gather outside wearing masks.
Right. So does that mean that UM will be inclined to ban it? Otherwise, I'd expect some large groups (ahem, Canes Cartel lol) and that stuff can pop up on social media quickly and bring criticism/unwanted attention.

I don't think there's anything wrong with limiting it to small groups but I don't think that anyone can effectively police that either.

Right. So does that mean that UM will be inclined to ban it? Otherwise, I'd expect some large groups (ahem, Canes Cartel lol) and that stuff can pop up on social media quickly and bring criticism/unwanted attention.

I don't think there's anything wrong with limiting it to small groups but I don't think that anyone can effectively police that either.
If the vaccinations keep up and the rates keep dropping, it may not even be an issue.

Advertisement
I hope you guys are right. I smelled way too good walking into the stadium last year. That mix of the grill and sweat is delightful for 6 Saturdays a year.

Gaitin' should be outlawed anyway as it promotes debauchery, gluttony, reggaeton, animosity, drunk-driving. Half the people entering the stadium are blackout by halftime and aren't engaged as fans during the game.
You're saying this like its a bad thing. You are welcome to hang with us in the Blue Lot.

Advertisement

Has nothing to do with UM.

Will have everything to do with Dade County and/or Joe Robbie Stadium administration.

Advertisement
I rarely go out on limb and make predictions, but.....

I’m guessing Covid will not be completely gone by the end of summer, there will still be residual cases.

So based on this, my guess is no tailgating to start the season (easily enforced), possibility of some “designated area“ tailgating maybe later in the year, but I don’t think that’s likely.

Just a guess, don’t shoot the messenger.

Right or wrong, there are still a lot of people living in a heightened state of anxiety and fear, and I’m afraid that doesn’t go away easily.

Having said that, there may be some tightly controlled hurricane club type “tailgates”, or other sponsored/approved gatherings, all with admission costs, but tightly controlled, mask wearing, spacing, etc. That’s about the only hope that I personally see. I could be wrong, but that’s what I’m saying.

If you show proof of vaccination at the gate you should be allowed to do whatever you want. And I mean whatever. Shoot fully automatic weapons in the Blue Lot. Shoot heroin in the Green Lot. Whatever.

Biden is dangling a relatively "normal" 4th of July as a carrot. Full-on tailgating by September should* be a no-brainer.

Advertisement

I’m guessing Covid will not be completely gone by the end of summer, there will still be residual cases.

So based on this, my guess is no tailgating to start the season (easily enforced), possibility of some “designated area“ tailgating maybe later in the year, but I don’t think that’s likely.

Right or wrong, there are still a lot of people living in a heightened state of anxiety and fear, and I’m afraid that doesn’t go away easily.

Having said that, there may be some tightly controlled hurricane club type “tailgates”, or other sponsored/approved gatherings, all with admission costs, but tightly controlled, mask wearing, spacing, etc. That’s about the only hope that I personally see. I could be wrong, but that’s what I’m saying.

I'd be OK with not tailgating for September. HOWEVER, that would be 4 of our 7 home games. Beta Blake would need to give me a 50% credit for my parking passes.

I'd be OK with not tailgating for September. HOWEVER, that would be 4 of our 7 home games. Beta Blake would need to give me a 50% credit for my parking passes.
Blake is going to "accidentally" double charge your account for even suggesting this.

I can hear him on Joe Rose now saying it's called a "parking" pass and not a "tailgating" pass.

Take away their TV's and the problem goes away.

Advertisement
Back