T Chris Washington commits

Used to be that in the '80's there were almost no elite local OLs and very few statewide. We often switched WRs and DLs to OL.
Well this aint the 80's anymore. I could see a TE moving down to OLine if he has the frame, but aint no WR's moving to OLineman anymore. This dude looks like he has the frame which is important. But my point is we can't just miss on top recruits and only get guys that will need 2-3 yrs to develop...

Advertisement
i will never disagree with that point and we are recruiting high 4 star and 5 star OL. but most of barry's OT recruiting is a response to the NFL and in direct conflict with recruiting rankings (which is clear given where a kid like washington is ranked)

Its not a response to the NFL though. The highest percentage of NFL OTs are 5 stars and 4 stars.

200.gif

Advertisement
Its not a response to the NFL though. The highest percentage of NFL OTs are 5 stars and 4 stars.

It is in response to the NFL. The best offensive linemen in the NFL were not rated 4 & 5 stars-they were rated 2 & 3 stars. Out of the 15 OL selected to the pro bowl last yr, the avg recruiting ranking for those players was 2.4. It is an undeniable fact that the most difficult position to project/evaluate coming out of high school is OL. Not coincidentally it also happens to be one of the most developmental as well.

It is in response to the NFL. The best offensive linemen in the NFL were not rated 4 & 5 stars-they were rated 2 & 3 stars. Out of the 15 OL selected to the pro bowl last yr, the avg recruiting ranking for those players was 2.4. It is an undeniable fact that the most difficult position to project/evaluate coming out of high school is OL. Not coincidentally it also happens to be one of the most developmental as well.

LMAO! Dude just stop. That is because most of these guys were getting recruited when the recruiting services were trash. Out of the 10 OL starters only 4 of them commited from 2008- current. Out of those 4 only 1 of them was ranked lower than a 4 star.

LMAO! Dude just stop. That is because most of these guys were getting recruited when the recruiting services were trash. Out of the 10 OL starters only 4 of them commited from 2008- current. Out of those 4 only 1 of them was ranked lower than a 4 star.

You can look at it however you want bro. I gave you the facts

You can look at it however you want bro. I gave you the facts

So did I. Of the guys that graduated HS from 2008 to presnet 75% of them were 4 stars or higher. No one is saying the recruiting services were gerat back in 2004 when most of these guys were in HS. We are talking now. Present. That is all that matters.

Advertisement
Well this aint the 80's anymore. I could see a TE moving down to OLine if he has the frame, but aint no WR's moving to OLineman anymore. This dude looks like he has the frame which is important. But my point is we can't just miss on top recruits and only get guys that will need 2-3 yrs to develop...
Did not mean to WR, meant to type TE. Last one I remember is Eric Winston. We might return to that because trend might be taller, leaner, quicker OTs.

Advertisement
So did I. Of the guys that graduated HS from 2008 to presnet 75% of them were 4 stars or higher. No one is saying the recruiting services were gerat back in 2004 when most of these guys were in HS. We are talking now. Present. That is all that matters.

I don’t think anyone is saying, 3 star > 5 star kids.

I think what can reasonably be evaluated with recruiting services is built-in bias. They’re artificially biased towards larger OL. Why? It reduces risk. Those players have already shown the capacity to gain that weight, hold it, play with it, move at it etc. A large percentage of 250 OL will always be exactly that: too small to play at the highest levels. Even the best evaluators will miss on which kids are going to weight and strength and keep it on.

They’re biased towards offers. They use the coaches as proxy’s to do the real evaluations for them. It’s no secret the SEC top programs have built-in bumps for players who get offers to those programs.

The NFL also gives inherent bias towards 5-star recruits. Teams have a specific scouting notation for former 5-star players and they love to take them as if they have higher upside or untapped potential that they believe NFL coaching can get to.

If we were living in a perfect world we’d only recruit the very top guys, and we’d hand select every 5-star kid we wanted each year and do quite well.

But we live in a world where that’s only feasible for a few programs- one of which we are not among. That means Miami has to use the pitch they have right now (be a part of TNM, make the crib great again, early playing time, create a legacy etc.). That works on only a certain percentage of kids. Usually one marquee guy at a position (like they’re trying to do with Flowe). You aren’t getting five marquee guys at one position with that pitch. So, what do you do? Evaluate. Develop. Use data to identify the types that most often hit higher than their ranking.

I believe that’s what Miami is doing.

There were 2 linemen in the 2014 class that received 5* in the 247composite - 1 was drafted. 4 linemen in the 2015 class received 5* - 1 was drafted (92d overall). 2/3 of 2016's 5* were drafted - the highest rated one was picked after an unranked kid from Alabama state and a 6'6" 3* converted tight end. Over half of the most recent draft eligible 5* o linemen have not gotten drafted - is that recent enough?

This is the first 10 linemen drafted last year...

Name - 247comp * ranking - position in 2019 draft
Jonah Williams - 5* .98 - 11
Chris Lindstrom - 3* .84 - 14
Garrett Bradbury - 3* (te) .80 - 18
Andre Dillard - 3* .81 - 22
Tytus Howard - unranked - 23
Kaleb McGary - 3* .90 - 31
Jawaan Taylor - 3* .84 - 35
Greg Little - 5* .99 - 37
Cody Ford - 3* .86 - 38
Dalton Risner - 3* .86 - 41

Does the NFL really care if poindexter at rivals thought "o lineman x" was a blue chipper? Should we?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back