T Chris Washington commits

anyone who has read anything about which linemen make it to the NFL these days should have no problem with this take

these are the offensive linemen drafted in the 2019 first round by weight coming out of high school and 247 composite rating:

jonah williams - 280, .9877
chris lindstrom - 240, .8441
garrett bradbury - 240, .8031
andre dillard - 240, .8159
tytus howard - 230, no rating
kaleb mcgary - 275, .9000

Advertisement
anyone who has read anything about which linemen make it to the NFL these days should have no problem with this take

these are the offensive linemen drafted in the 2019 first round by weight coming out of high school and 247 composite rating:

jonah williams - 280, .9877
chris lindstrom - 240, .8441
garrett bradbury - 240, .8031
andre dillard - 240, .8159
tytus howard - 230, no rating
kaleb mcgary - 275, .9000

So we have a 5 star, a 4 star, 2 guys that played TE in HS which is why they were ranked so low and 2 3 stars.

Now bear in mind there are literally less than 50 5 stars a year about 300 4 stars and 1000 3 stars. So basically what we are seeing is 33% of that classes 5 star OTs went first round. 4% of 4 star OTs. and 1% of 3 star OTs were drafted in the first round.

Obviously this says we should be targeting 5 stars and 4 stars.

Advertisement
So we have a 5 star, a 4 star, 2 guys that played TE in HS which is why they were ranked so low and 2 3 stars.

Now bear in mind there are literally less than 50 5 stars a year about 300 4 stars and 1000 3 stars. So basically what we are seeing is 33% of that classes 5 star OTs went first round. 4% of 4 star OTs. and 1% of 3 star OTs were drafted in the first round.

but the thing with OL that the data is showing is that there is actually a specific type of low rated prospect that often turns into an all american or first round pick. the recruiting rankings haven't adjusted yet (though to be fair neither have many of the coaches)

but the thing with OL that the data is showing is that there is actually a specific type of low rated prospect that often turns into an all american or first round pick. the recruiting rankings haven't adjusted yet (though to be fair neither have many of the coaches)

go back to UM's elite teams, I would love to see the data on where our starters were ranked. I don't recall all that many guys who were top 100 players

I do recall guys being coached up by the likes of Tony Wise(one of Miami's all-time great assistant coaches) and Art Kehoe after.

Evaluation and development are so key at this position

Come on man. You can't just say "guys who are unranked and weight under 240 lbs often times turn into all Americans". More often than not, those guys are not P5 caliber.

Advertisement

If we land Walker to go with Rivers and this kid that's a **** good tackle haul. I would have a problem if all of our guys a low ranked 250 lbs but we are going after big fish as well.

Also, those numbers show what most are saying in this thread. After the 5 star supposedly can't miss guys it's a crapshoot. The 4 star kids only hitting first round at 4% is extremely low and the unknown kids aren't even that too far behind them.

If we land Walker to go with Rivers and this kid that's a **** good tackle haul. I would have a problem if all of our guys a low ranked 250 lbs but we are going after big fish as well.

Also, those numbers show what most are saying in this thread. After the 5 star supposedly can't miss guys it's a crapshoot. The 4 star kids only hitting first round at 4% is extremely low and the unknown kids aren't even that too far behind them.

That's the key point - you can't have what I call 'the Section 8' - a class full of projects.

you better have some real blue-chips in the class, or the odds are really against any class being successful

3% is a pretty big drop off when we are comparing 4% to 1%.

Advertisement
I'm good with taking players like this. HOWEVER it absolutely is not a substitute for top tier players like Evan Neal and whoever is our top OT this year - probably Issiah Walker or some ****. We gotta land these elite local guys that we have been missing on... So yeah get guys like this, but when you have guys that are absolute studs locally along the OLine, we can't just fail at recruiting them....

go back to UM's elite teams, I would love to see the data on where our starters were ranked. I don't recall all that many guys who were top 100 players

I do recall guys being coached up by the likes of Tony Wise(one of Miami's all-time great assistant coaches) and Art Kehoe after.

Evaluation and development are so key at this position
You forgot Christ Vagotis (RIP) and Gregg Smith. Gregg coached our '89 and '91 NC teams.

I'm good with taking players like this. HOWEVER it absolutely is not a substitute for top tier players like Evan Neal and whoever is our top OT this year - probably Issiah Walker or some ****. We gotta land these elite local guys that we have been missing on... So yeah get guys like this, but when you have guys that are absolute studs locally along the OLine, we can't just fail at recruiting them....
Used to be that in the '80's there were almost no elite local OLs and very few statewide. We often switched WRs and DLs to OL.

Advertisement
You forgot Christ Vagotis (RIP) and Gregg Smith. Gregg coached our '89 and '91 NC teams.

Yeah, Vagotis was a highly regarded coach....Smith to me was a Erickson crony who was lucky that Wise/JJ left him a ton of talent that really eroded as that regime went on

Come on man. You can't just say "guys who are unranked and weight under 240 lbs often times turn into all Americans". More often than not, those guys are not P5 caliber.

well that's not what i'm saying. obviously there are scouting and athleticism elements as well. but the mold of OL prized by recruiting rankings is frequently broken by the draft in a way that is different from other positions and i don't think the rankings have really accounted for that.

well that's not what i'm saying. obviously there are scouting and athleticism elements as well. but the mold of OL prized by recruiting rankings is frequently broken by the draft in a way that is different from other positions and i don't think the rankings have really accounted for that.

I get that, but even so. Higher ranked guys generally perform better.

I get that, but even so. Higher ranked guys generally perform better.

i will never disagree with that point and we are recruiting high 4 star and 5 star OL. but most of barry's OT recruiting is a response to the NFL and in direct conflict with recruiting rankings (which is clear given where a kid like washington is ranked)

Advertisement
Back