Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
And a couple plays away from 9-3

Completely agree. This is the eternal battle.

1705166108688.png

I can see both sides of the equation, how we came thisclose to 9 wins, but were also constantly tempting fate and putting ourselves into situations where a botched kneel-down scenario could kill us.

But the mopes only see "we were 2 plays away from being 5-7 this year".

They have the phrase copied so that they can post it into any thread within seconds.

Sad.

The problem with any "we were X plays away from Y record" statement is that it can always be spun in either direction to fit the narrative. The only one that still haunts me is the **** kneel down (posted about it in another thread too) because I truly believe that one play changed the tenor of the entire season.

Beyond that, any team can argue they were a play (or player) away from more or fewer wins.

The problem with any "we were X plays away from Y record" statement is that it can always be spun in either direction to fit the narrative. The only one that still haunts me is the **** kneel down (posted about it in another thread too) because I truly believe that one play changed the tenor of the entire season.

Beyond that, any team can argue they were a play (or player) away from more or fewer wins.
Man... that whole thing was/is a nightmare. So much went against us. Our coach is a potato. Don Chaney DIDNT fumble but the refs screwed us because, you know, ACC stuff. Then with seconds left, GT of all teams airs it out and catches our best player gambling.

@Angry Ibis has the most balanced perspective here. Because we don't have sound gameday coaching, we're a play or two away from winning 2 games in either direction. Sound coaching would shift that whole discussion north by 2 games.

Now, I personally believe that Mario will bring in enough talent to also shift that formula up by 2 games ... and that us winning more (and by more) will cause Mario to loosen up on the brofense, which will shift us up even further. Which is why I remain an optimist unlike most on here.

Advertisement
@Angry Ibis has the most balanced perspective here. Because we don't have sound gameday coaching, we're a play or two away from winning 2 games in either direction. Sound coaching would shift that whole discussion north by 2 games.

Now, I personally believe that Mario will bring in enough talent to also shift that formula up by 2 games ... and that us winning more (and by more) will cause Mario to loosen up on the brofense, which will shift us up even further. Which is why I remain an optimist unlike most on here.

I’m cautiously optimistic. Mario will recruit HS well. If he adapts to the modern day portal and takes the look in the mirror that he needs to adapt on game day, our number of wins should increase.

It’s so egregious because it wasn’t like coming up a play short where you didn’t get the 1st down you needed, or busted a coverage, or missed a field goal. It had nothing to do with coming up a play short. The game was literally won if we kneel.

Team went 8-4. Coaches went 7-5.

Agreed.

It did and it should have. That is how egregious it was.

To your point, almost any team can look at the play away concept. That said, we won 2 OT games, that is as close to being a play away from it going the other way as you can get, which is what I based my number on....

Advertisement
Man... that whole thing was/is a nightmare. So much went against us. Our coach is a potato. Don Chaney DIDNT fumble but the refs screwed us because, you know, ACC stuff. Then with seconds left, GT of all teams airs it out and catches our best player gambling.
It is like 20 years of bad Karma!! WTF! At some point we have to have things go our way! Our safeties cheated on 3 plays towards the end of the year and gave up game winning Touchdowns, really? So painful.

Huh? Angry Ibis is the one who keeps beating the "but we could be 2 games worse drum". I'm one of the few who pointed out that it could go in either direction.

Two months ago (just prior to the final game), I posted about how we had gone from getting blown the **** out in 2022 to having much closer games in 2023. Of course, the Mope Squad chose to seize on that as some sort of an argument for "moral victories", which it was not.

I realize it's a fine line to walk when you have a lot of close games (some of which you win and some of which you lose). But I'd rather have a Miami that was in every single game in 2023 than the team from 2022 that got blown out numerous times.

Advertisement
I feel like this is going to end the same as the recruiting class. Every *****ed and moaned about the class and dline recruiting all summer. When it was all said and done, everyone was happy.

Missing on ward sucks. He didn’t pick a school over us, he picked the NFL. Just a tough decision.

Lot of time. And there are lots of options still, some not in The portal. Mario won 10 games with Anthony brown. He did it building a talented team from recruiting.

It’s a miss but let’s not **** our pants yet
🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back