Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last sentence is indeed the most concerning. There is little doubt that if Ward came to Miami and blossomed, he would have improved his draft stock. The fact that he still chose the NFL is an indication of his belief that a year with Marion and Dawson would not be beneficial.

I have no doubt we will find someone. We have too much money and motivation. But the fact that the best of the best are turning down large sums of money and the chance to play with way above-average skill position talent is not a good look for Mario.
Ward also spurned USC, oSU, and Auburn

Advertisement
so, i porsted weeks ago (lord this has taken a liftetime and a half lol) that i was in favor of mario gambling on landing Ward, even if it meant missing out on Howard (which i believe it did). am not mad at him for gambling and losing.

you might knock mario for not seeing which way the wind was blowing when Ward dragged his decision out so long, but what was the alternative to waiting for him to decide? of the QBs in the portal it would have meant pivoting to KJ Jefferson, Maalik Murphy, or putting the full court press on DJU - not getting will Howard - that ship sailed once Ward visited here, had an expensive dinner with rick ross, and reportedly agreed in principle to a giant NIL deal with our collective. if you really think Howard always had the greenlight to commit here, ask yourself whether we would have accepted his commitment while Ward was visiting and hashing out an NIL deal (allegedly). i personally think not.

will wait to see who we end up with before menstruating. we obviously are willing to commit a ton of money to a portal QB. am glad we didn't panic and settle for Jefferson/Murphy/DJU to be our starter next year. i guess we have until saturday to get salter in the portal and have until jan24th to entice a grad transfer QB [from memphis] with our brinks truck. if we end up with just Nelson or a rental who is notches below Will Howard, then this went poorly. till then i hit f5
Quality over quantity in posting for this lurker.

No quarterback with any sense is going to come here and play for this Neanderthal, thinking that his draft stock will actually improve. If it was a choice between UM and the NFL, Cam did the right thing. No doubt he thought about the NIL package here, but didn’t want to face the inevitable “performance dropped in his final season” scouting reports after a year with Cristobal.

I’m feeling a little defeated right now. Someone tell me we’re going to be fine.

Advertisement
I’m losing patience with Mario right now but if it ever comes a day y’all see me writing that Manny Diaz was better I kindly ask you to come here and beat the **** out of me.
What Ever GIF by Newcastle University

So with Smith's national letter of intent in limbo, Miami didn’t sit idly. They pounced. Hurricanes wide receiver coach Kevin Beard reached out. So did Miami head coach Mario Cristobal and the program’s executive director Dennis Smith. On top of all of those pitches, Smith said the Hurricanes also reached out to his agent and re-up their offer in an effort to sign him.

But perhaps the most interesting phone call of the night came from a quarterback not yet associated with anybody: Washington State transfer Cameron Ward.

Ward announced for the NFL Draft on Jan. 1, but before then he had been involved in a month-long transfer portal recruitment that included Miami and Ohio State among others. Ward called Smith during the madness of that nine-hour period. They talked for 10 minutes. Smith remembers Ward telling him, ‘If you choose to go to Miami, I’m going to go there.”

So with Smith's national letter of intent in limbo, Miami didn’t sit idly. They pounced. Hurricanes wide receiver coach Kevin Beard reached out. So did Miami head coach Mario Cristobal and the program’s executive director Dennis Smith. On top of all of those pitches, Smith said the Hurricanes also reached out to his agent and re-up their offer in an effort to sign him.

But perhaps the most interesting phone call of the night came from a quarterback not yet associated with anybody: Washington State transfer Cameron Ward.

Ward announced for the NFL Draft on Jan. 1, but before then he had been involved in a month-long transfer portal recruitment that included Miami and Ohio State among others. Ward called Smith during the madness of that nine-hour period. They talked for 10 minutes. Smith remembers Ward telling him, ‘If you choose to go to Miami, I’m going to go there.”
excited ralph wiggum GIF

No quarterback with any sense is going to come here and play for this Neanderthal, thinking that his draft stock will actually improve. If it was a choice between UM and the NFL, Cam did the right thing. No doubt he thought about the NIL package here, but didn’t want to face the inevitable “performance dropped in his final season” scouting reports after a year with Cristobal.
You guys have to pick a side, because you’re contracting yourselves badly. If Mario is such a caveman who wrecks QBs, Ward would not have come down to UM or the NFL. He never would have considered Miami to begin with.

Advertisement
Then Jacurri needs to go because he’d be entering his 3rd year and still not ready? I liked Emory’s moxy against FSU. I agree it might be too much for Emory to come in and roll by 2nd year but we’ve had guys do it. It’s not impossible, and if we’re serious about developing him then what are we waiting for? It was Ward or Howard or bust. If that doesn’t happen, then plan c is to go with what you have.
You get 5 years of eligibility. He's not to the halfway point yet. You want all your backup QBs to just go? If so, who would have played the bowl game? Who would have played the game Emory got hurt if TVD wasn't able to go? You still need depth guys and everyone, including Jacurri, knew he needed a lot of time to develop coming in. That's why he redshirted. I'm not saying I expect him ever to develop enough to be a sure starter bc his accuracy issues are signficant, but i'm not kicking anyone to the curb bc this QB room is BARE.

Yay

Advertisement
Will Rogers don't look so bad anymore, **** neither does TVD.

Will Rogers would have been very good for us.

“Just say no” on TVD (big arm but football research studies have shown that you have virtually zero percent chance of winning a game with 4-5 TOs). TVD single handedly cost us about 4 games this yr between 3-4 INTs plus some fumbles. His win % against ACC teams over a 3-yr period is around 42% (which is really poor actually). People fell in love with his arm strength & the yardage he racked up when he was on. There’s just way more to being a good QB than throwing the ball such as decision-making, ability to protect the ball, intangibles, chemistry with teammates, leadership skills etc.

Name the signature wins TVD had for us in his 3 yrs as a starter?

Disappointed Big Daddy GIF

Advertisement

Angry He Man GIF

Saddest part about all of this, and the people complaining about Mario, is that if he can't get this right Miami will never financially support a staff like this again. And right now it's not looking so hot. It's bigger than caring about Mario as a coach at this point.. this program hangs on getting a QB to win games this year.

At least Mario's game day coaching is so blatantly horrible, most will associate failure to him and not the program.

You guys have to pick a side, because you’re contracting yourselves badly. If Mario is such a caveman who wrecks QBs, Ward would not have come down to UM or the NFL. He never would have considered Miami to begin with.

He had around 2 million reasons to consider Miami. When the bag is that much greater than anyone else in your field, you strongly consider that team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back