Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
so, i porsted weeks ago (lord this has taken a liftetime and a half lol) that i was in favor of mario gambling on landing Ward, even if it meant missing out on Howard (which i believe it did). am not mad at him for gambling and losing.

you might knock mario for not seeing which way the wind was blowing when Ward dragged his decision out so long, but what was the alternative to waiting for him to decide? of the QBs in the portal it would have meant pivoting to KJ Jefferson, Maalik Murphy, or putting the full court press on DJU - not getting will Howard - that ship sailed once Ward visited here, had an expensive dinner with rick ross, and reportedly agreed in principle to a giant NIL deal with our collective. if you really think Howard always had the greenlight to commit here, ask yourself whether we would have accepted his commitment while Ward was visiting and hashing out an NIL deal (allegedly). i personally think not.

will wait to see who we end up with before menstruating. we obviously are willing to commit a ton of money to a portal QB. am glad we didn't panic and settle for Jefferson/Murphy/DJU to be our starter next year. i guess we have until saturday to get salter in the portal and have until jan24th to entice a grad transfer QB [from memphis] with our brinks truck. if we end up with just Nelson or a rental who is notches below Will Howard, then this went poorly. till then i hit f5

Jacurri and Emory aren’t good, simple as that. Another year of 7-5 with poor offensive production and recruiting will collapse, the offensive players we’ve recruited will start to portal out, etc. Mario needs to show significant progress this year and that won’t happen with anyone at qb that’s currently on the roster.
Alright fine I get your opinion. But talented guys get better with time. If Emory could produce like Clayton Tune then we’d be fine. Why can’t he? Traditionally, Miami developed its QBs and they have produced with the exception of Wright/Freeman.

Advertisement
I guess tomorrow will be they day? Portal closes except for graduate transfers?

We need Luke Nickels to reclassify. Hit summer school double up classes make a mil…

Buddy, DMoney posted Will Howard to OSU almost a week ago when many reporters were dropping crystal balls also.

Acting like Howard to OSU is something new, like you did, is inaccurate.

Haven’t you been clowning on D$ the past week in every thread, why you citing him as a source now :pgdead:

Advertisement
From the fact that:

1. He inherited Herbert. Comment: true but what does that prove?

2. Herbert’s last season was disappointing. His average depth of throw was horrible. The offense had a low explosion rate through the air. And the analytics show they had 5 games with a negative offensive value generated. You don’t do that with a top NFL Draft pick. Comment: pls explain what Mario did exactly to cause any of that? I highly doubt he was calling plays on Offense. Mario would have emphasized the need to run the ball effectively but that should help take pressure off a QB not hurt him. What specifically did Mario do to hinder Herbert’s development? Did he give him a great OL…and that hurt him? Don’t guess. Tell us only verified facts.

3. He hasn’t brought in any QBs worth a ****. Comment: Bernie Kosar & others have said: “Emory will be the next great QB at Miami.” Bernie won a Natty & was a star in the NFL for many years. I think he knows a thing or two about QBs. Emory is smart, poised & can distribute the ball effectively (which is all that we need to get to 10+ wins). We don’t need Brett Favre to do that & we don’t need 0-star Cam Ward (previously from Incarnate Word) who has major fumbling problems that would cost us 2-3 games. We need a QB that is the anti-TVD as football research shows that you have almost no chance to win with 4-5 TOs per game. We need a QB that makes good decisions, is accurate & distributes the ball effectively. We’ll have a lot of young playmakers next yr in addition to vets like Jacolby, Restrepo & Arroyo. Just get them the ball consistently & let them do the heavy lifting. Emory can do that effectively for us (if healthy). Judd just completed a very strong season in the state of GA against stiff competition. His completion percentage was around 70% & he’s tall & sees the field well. He’s a competitor. Coaches think he’s an absolute stud. He’s also been an incredible advocate for a class ranked #3 or #4 in the nation. What have you done in football that’s better than what Judd’s done & give you the right to say he’s “not worth a @$&!”? Pls tell us. Luke is coming in ‘25 and most people rave about his poise, accuracy & decision-making. His film is impressive & he carries himself really well in interviews. Mario may not have brought in splashy 5-star QBs yet, but at least two of the above QBs will be very good for us (potentially all three of them). Your comment that “he hasn’t brought in any QBs worth a @&!$” is rude & ignorant. This Site would be so much better if people actually did some research & knew what they were talking about instead of spewing tired & incorrect statements because it seems like the cool thing to do.

4. His offensive scheme is not QB friendly. You can’t hide that. When you don’t spread teams out. When you’re constantly running into a crowded box to set up third and obvious passing downs, you’re putting QBs in bad spots. Comment: Two of the biggest things a HC can do to help a QB are: (1) have a great OL (check) and (2) a strong running game (check). A strong OL gives a QB time to scan the field, keep his eyes downfield, maintain good mechanics (throw off a stable base), and not be constantly worried about getting sacked/injured. There’s literally nothing better a HC can do than give a QB a strong OL that will protect him. A strong running game also makes an offense less predictable. It takes pressure off the QB knowing that a quality run game will handle about 50% of the workload (QB doesn’t have to do it all), the D can’t just focus on stopping the pass, and the QB can hand the ball off if he’s having a bad game or facing top flight DBs that are proving to be a handful etc. Mario is not calling the offense. What’s being run is not “his scheme.” Yes, Mario wants a power run game that is effective & Dawson knew that from Day 1 but that doesn’t mean we’re seeing Mario’s offensive scheme. I guarantee you Mario didn’t call for 40-50 passes in games where TVD threw for 370-400+ yards (which he did do quite a few times). Of course Mario has input on the run game & emphasizes that but I highly doubt he has much input on the rest of the Offense (other than selecting starters on the OL with Mirabal & discussing blocking schemes). Mario isn’t perfect & for sure has areas to improve in (game mgt being one he should delegate) but some of these narratives are tired & false. Great OL play & a strong run game should do a lot to help a QB (not hurt him).

Advertisement
Ok. Fair we don’t know everything but our conclusions have been right so far because of his pie of the sky grandeur thinking instead of taking some layups taking some Knees.

He waited forever on an OC because he waited for Candle. We got stuck with a very late in the process Gattis instead of a Briles or Golesh or other.

Next, he had to wait on the Gattis replacement because of legal ramifications but he settled for Dawson. He’s waited for other coaching hires and taken forever. He struck out in Charlie Strong and Steele (even though Steele is in the college playoff).

This whole portal QB process. There are too many instances of evidence that can’t and shouldn’t be ignored when other coaches don’t have the same issues. Can you explain that? Or is it everyone else is wrong and Mario is right?
my dude, i wish we were just privy to all the info to have concrete opinions. He’s definitely not always right. Far from it. But with any of the examples you gave that involve contracts and agents playing games with everyone to build leverage, its hard to have such harsh opinions for me.

Advertisement
Every year it’s “Mario is not calling the offense, so he can’t be blamed for the lack of passing success and constant bad offensive performances.”

Even if that’s true, the question is: why does Mario have the reputation he does?

That’s the reason why. If people want to argue it’s just bad luck every year, that’s fine. Bad OC’s every year, that’s fine.

But there’s an old expression:

If you’re explaining, you’re losing.

This was a bad miss. Mario wanted to sign Ward badly. I thought it would get done. Now there is a lot of pressure on the staff to salvage the situation.

Miami thought there would be an answer on December 13th and felt optimistic from Signing Day to Christmas based on feedback from Ward. As the process dragged on, people grew more concerned with the NFL.

Ward is making a risky (some would say ill-advised) decision due to his low draft grade, but it’s concerning we couldn’t sell him on development. That’s been a knock on Mario since Oregon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back