Sweat, IMO....

5XNC

Senior
Was overrated. #1 player in the country? Sorry, not right now. Might have the measurables and might have a ton of potential, but, he dropped passes. On defense, he took plays off. On one play, the play went away from him, he jogged from the snap of the ball and pursued and made the tackle b/c the rb cut back into him and the announcers made a big deal about his pursuit. He jogged the whole freaking way. He didn't take over the game. He was gasping for air in the 1st half and seemed poorly conditioned.

Kid is a great athlete and I'd take him in a sec on potential, but, the number 1 player in the country?

Advertisement
Was overrated. #1 player in the country? Sorry, not right now. Might have the measurables and might have a ton of potential, but, he dropped passes. On defense, he took plays off. On one play, the play went away from him, he jogged from the snap of the ball and pursued and made the tackle b/c the rb cut back into him and the announcers made a big deal about his pursuit. He jogged the whole freaking way. He didn't take over the game. He was gasping for air in the 1st half and seemed poorly conditioned.

Kid is a great athlete and I'd take him in a sec on potential, but, the number 1 player in the country?
Poorly conditioned, Lazy, Slow to the ball, bad hands and unmotivated to perform? Why would you take him in a second? How do you know he's a great ATH from what you witnessed? What potential are you talking about? He takes plays off? In or out please…. Want or pass….

Last edited:
Yea he was there on every dam play in the game, i mean every dam play, he punted for christ sake, abd he still stuffed the run in some plays, honestly he got worn out by the coach, i get you need your best players on the field but he needed to be on just one side of the ball, or atleast keep him from punting

He is a freak. How many DEs play an entire game at WR and special teams. Ranks typically are based on potential and his ceiling is as high as anyone out there.

Advertisement
Heg, he was gasping in the 2nd quarter. I hear you, but, a kid like that should be able to go longer at 17 years old.
What didn't u understand? I said I'd take him on potential and measurables alone. I'm not sitting on the fence. Just wouldn't have guessed he's the number 1 player in the country based on that performance.

You gotta be kidding me. Josh Sweat is Oscar Smith and I feel sorry for him. He's their best player at whatever position they line him up and last night he played them all. He also played every snap his coach is foolish for that tho. You also have to factor in Booker T isnt a normal squad. He's gonna have to work on technique but that boy ceiling is high. I'll take him in coral gables immediately

I never said he didn't have a high ceiling. I'd take him in a second. At his age and level, he should have been able to go longer. He never really dominated or took over. I'm not sure btw double teamed him or did anything special.
And I'm aware lots of dlinemen in hs take plays off. He's a freak but he just didn't take over like I was expecting.

Advertisement
You gotta be kidding me. Josh Sweat is Oscar Smith and I feel sorry for him. He's their best player at whatever position they line him up and last night he played them all. He also played every snap his coach is foolish for that tho. You also have to factor in Booker T isnt a normal squad. He's gonna have to work on technique but that boy ceiling is high. I'll take him in coral gables immediately

This

He looked worn down i would love to see him play a game solely on the defensive side especially since thhat is his college position not sure how effective he can be gased as he was.

Yeessssh, you guys are TOUGH. Guy NEVER left the field. if they used him half as much on offense, Im sure he would of been able to cause more havoc on defensive side of ball. First game of season, guys who only play one side of ball cramp up and cant play anymore, what do you expect from a kid who is playing offense, defense, and special teams?

I saw a great athlete who where ever he ends up can have an impact once he is settled at position and can just concentrate on it. Dude is huge out there and was split out wide on offense and looked good doing it. Kid is an A+ athlete and after seeing that game thought he deserved whatever ranking he had. After the game I wish he was considering the U. I saw a BEAST, and Im happy I got to see the #1 player in country from another area play against some south florida boys and he seemed legit to me.

Advertisement

This appears to be misleading. Aggressive and misleading is a bad combination when having a discussion. I agree that some of the qualities you mention are not positive, but based on other comments there are a bunch of mitigating factors in the kid's favor.

Could be a little unfair to a player we would really like to have here.

Has a high ceiling. Needs to be able to focus on one position. Conditioning needs work if they're going to continue to use him the way the did. Won't be Clowney, Chad is better than Sweat as an end at the same point in their careers, though Sweat is more athletic than Clowney was at this point.

Good ball player, but I question him as the #1 as well. Definitely a 5 star though.

Advertisement
He may be a freak. But it's not like he was going up against div 1 offensive linemen on the other side.
Physically and athletically he's prob a freak. I didn't see someone like chad Thomas though.

Advertisement
Back