Struck with this thought this morning... our OL will actually be...

Advertisement
Do you know what makes OL good beyond just coaching and size... experience. OL is where you need the most experience. The problem with Miami's OL is that we've been playing more young guys than older one, and they lack playing together experience. Look at all the other programs with good OL, not only do they have size, but they're JRs, SRs or 5th year SRs. I believe Miami's OL will be a top 10 OL next year. We definitely have the size and a good coach... now they have the experience. But with that being said, this who I think should be our starters.

LT - Zion Nelson 6-5 315 (A projected first rounder)
LG - Navaughn Donaldson 6-6 335
C - Corey Gaynor 6-4 310
RG - DJ Scaife 6-3 315
RT - Jarrid Williams 6'6 320

That's size!! Also, I'm factoring a projected training camp weight lol.
Zion is projected s a 1st rounder? Not calling you out, just wanting it to be true. Do you have a link?

Does this mean we mo longer have to be lucky to even score against Bama next season?

Advertisement
After scaife’s drop off this year, I’m wondering if he’d be better replacing Williams at RT next year. In 2019 (2018 too?) he played tackle and was solid, much better than his guard play this year.

...solid this coming season. By all accounts, Justice is legit. We've actually recruited a number of highly rated OL. and we have quite a bit of age coming back to the OL this season. AND we get a Spring this time.

Hey, I'm an optimist. "On paper" we really should have a 10 win season coming up, and the OL, if that happens, will have to be solid. And, the leader, if he's interested in an NFL career, should be #55.
I would say can't get much worse but year before last was worse. Justice has got to figure out why we can't run block. They really have improved in their pass blocking but we really suck at run blocking.

No more guaranteed than anything in this life, but we just went through an entire CFB season with the pandemic as we stumbled along and tried to figure out how to do things. At this point, I'll be shocked if we don't have Spring training. Now, will some of the players catch C19 and have to sit out for some/all of it? I can see that happening.
I hope you are right!

Advertisement
I wish Miami would put some effort into building the "polynesian pipeline." We're always missing out on some extremely talented kids. As has been said before, it's not like normal recruiting of HS prospects, you need to have other polynesian players and/or staff (or at least someone who knows the culture well. Penei Sewell, who was a 4 star out of Utah, turned out to be PFF's highest graded OL ever. And he's 19 years old! There are ridiculously talented, underrated polynesian players like him all over the country but you have zero chance if you don't have a polynesian connection. Even Notre Dame figured this out a long time ago.

Just to drive the point home- Sewell got offers from dozens of schools but made only 5 visits. Here's Sewell's visit list from 247 and primary recruiter and/or connection

Bama- Tosh Lupoi + polynesian players
Oregon- Joe Salave'a + polynesian players
Nevada- several polynesian players and Vai Taua as assistant coach (director of recruiting at time)
USC- obvious filled with polynesian players and staff
Utah- obvious likewise

Someone might need to ask The Rock to start putting in a good word.

Zion is projected s a 1st rounder? Not calling you out, just wanting it to be true. Do you have a link?
Yep. The latest 2022 Mock draft by Walterfootball. They had him at 12 I believe at one point. Also, other sources have rated him at the number 4 best OT for 2022, and if he continues to progress and stay until his senior season... he can be a top 10. Imagine that. A kid who was a TE and switch to T, came to Miami at 243 and now looking in the NFL at T one day.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 7.19.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 7.19.18 PM.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 18
...solid this coming season. By all accounts, Justice is legit. We've actually recruited a number of highly rated OL. and we have quite a bit of age coming back to the OL this season. AND we get a Spring this time.

Hey, I'm an optimist. "On paper" we really should have a 10 win season coming up, and the OL, if that happens, will have to be solid. And, the leader, if he's interested in an NFL career, should be #55.
We've recruited plenty of 'solidly rated' OL over the years who were terrible. Herbert was highly rated. Bar Milo was, too.

The issue at UM has been that we have not evaluated our OL recruits well in ages.

I wish Miami would put some effort into building the "polynesian pipeline." We're always missing out on some extremely talented kids. As has been said before, it's not like normal recruiting of HS prospects, you need to have other polynesian players and/or staff (or at least someone who knows the culture well. Penei Sewell, who was a 4 star out of Utah, turned out to be PFF's highest graded OL ever. And he's 19 years old! There are ridiculously talented, underrated polynesian players like him all over the country but you have zero chance if you don't have a polynesian connection. Even Notre Dame figured this out a long time ago.

Just to drive the point home- Sewell got offers from dozens of schools but made only 5 visits. Here's Sewell's visit list from 247 and primary recruiter and/or connection

Nevada- several polynesian players and Vai Taua as assistant coach (director of recruiting at time)
Utah- obvious likewise

Sometimes in life you have to make choices. Miami is a loooong way from the Left Coast and longer from Asia. The idea that we should be recruiting Samoans seems like the kind of thing fans think of, but fortunately coaches don't seem to bother with.

We'd do better to lock down the Haitian and Bahamian pipelines.

Advertisement

Utah- obvious likewise

I'd like to have signed that Linebacker from Hawaii, the one that committed to Nebraska? Supposedly he has never visited Lincoln, NB. A kid from the Tropics going to a frozen wasteland like that. I think he should talk to some those Miami kids who signed there and 6 or 7 months later transferred out and have all returned home.

Sometimes in life you have to make choices. Miami is a loooong way from the Left Coast and longer from Asia. The idea that we should be recruiting Samoans seems like the kind of thing fans think of, but fortunately coaches don't seem to bother with.

We'd do better to lock down the Haitian and Bahamian pipelines.

They go all the way from the west coast to Bama and Notre Dame all the time. Now Florida is too far away? And these kids aren't coming out of Pago Pago. They are in Utah and California.

Nelson
Donaldson
Scaife (Can he at least handle center like projected? Gaynor blows there)
Rivers
Campbell/Walker

Advertisement
They go all the way from the west coast to Bama and Notre Dame all the time. Now Florida is too far away? And these kids aren't coming out of Pago Pago. They are in Utah and California.
Alabama is in a different world than we are recruiting-wise.

And ND is from a brand and academic and cultural perspective.

There isn't a reason we should be chasing Pacific Islanders until we figure out how to do a lot of other things better first. Put it on your list. Then draw a line above it on the list and don't worry about it until we make progress on more pressing and more valuable initiatives.

LT - Zion
LG- Donaldson
C- Gaynor
RG- Campbell / Scaife
RT- Rivers / Walker

my guess

JC will be the Interesting one there. I think he’d be a good RT but I’m also intrigued by rivers. Regardless, we will have a very solid 7-8 guys deep in the rotation.

I saw the same mock draft stuff about Zion and I was dumbfounded lol just to keep things in perspective Brad Kayaa was also projected to go first round at this point before his junior year.

With that being said, Zion was infinitely better this year and if he takes the same leap forward this upcoming season it’s not crazy to think he can be an all acc caliber T. 21’ should be our best Oline in a long time but that’s not saying much lol

I saw the same mock draft stuff about Zion and I was dumbfounded lol just to keep things in perspective Brad Kayaa was also projected to go first round at this point before his junior year.

With that being said, Zion was infinitely better this year and if he takes the same leap forward this upcoming season it’s not crazy to think he can be an all acc caliber T. 21’ should be our best Oline in a long time but that’s not saying much lol
If Zion plays in the NFL, someone some day will start a thread and claim we had a good OL in '19 and point to Zion as proof.

Advertisement
Back