Struck with this thought this morning... our OL will actually be...

Advertisement
Biggest need of play improvement and biggest gap to premium programs

The recruiting has been promising last two years

I think we need two large body additions ( see Bama, Auburn, LSU, OSU ) types.. at Guard at least.. hope portal gives us that

In Justise still believe
Agreed. I watched OSU's cornfed DT monsters literally bring **** and fury at Bama's interior OL, and Bama's hogs just stood them up and drove them out of the way time after time. Was thinking to myself, our interior guys would be laying on their backs in Jackson Memorial's ICU after trying to handle that type of ferocious rush.

It's an Offensive game today, and it begins with the OL. I saw some of the holes and lanes that were created for Najee and just shook my head.

We've got to get some 5* maulers inside in order to begin thinking about competing against the Tier 1 teams.

Williams would be welcomed back I'm sure, but our starting tackles in 2020 were both 2-star recruits. Rivers and Walker are the future at tackle. Open up the competition this spring.

Advertisement
A ton was scheme (getting ball out quick), but Bama’s QB operated from a clean pocket for most of the National Championship game (and the whole season really). Only time I remember pressure was early on the strip sack. Neutralizing a pass rush places tremendous pressure on the rest of the defense, even a good one like OSU’s.

L to R as someone previously posted:

Nelson, Donaldson, Gaynor (or someone else please), Rivers, Scaife.

I used to think Scaife might be a C bit after watching his lack of push and stunt recognition this last year I don't buy him on the interior anymore.

Our interior line was pathetic last year. I’d love to get an extra year from Williams. Him and Nelson are solid players. I assume Donaldson will hold down one spot. Clark and Scaife took turns being the worst lineman on the team last year with Gaynor right behind them. I assume at least two of them are going to be in the rotation but man it would be nice to see a guy like Reed or Rivers grab a spot. There’s potential for improvement. Line probably won’t be a strength point for at least another year but they should no longer be embarrassing

Advertisement
Something needs to change or drastically improve next year. Either they aren't strong enough, smart enough, or athletic enough.

Did people not see our center this season? Hard to believe how many think he is a quality player.
Thank you.

I wish this would be as popular as replacing McCloud or Ivey or Wiggins.

Gaynor seems like a good dude who has worked hard, but he is just not good enough. Our interior OL will be a weakness with him there no matter how good the guards are.

The LOS gets set about 1 yard in the backfield almost every play. The interior OL needs a lot of work, a lot. We need to get stronger and nastier.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
I think there's a good chance that Williams comes back. He could raise his draft stock with a solid year. If he comes back, we'll have a solid OL across the board. Williams can bring that old man strength.

Do you know what makes OL good beyond just coaching and size... experience. OL is where you need the most experience. The problem with Miami's OL is that we've been playing more young guys than older one, and they lack playing together experience. Look at all the other programs with good OL, not only do they have size, but they're JRs, SRs or 5th year SRs. I believe Miami's OL will be a top 10 OL next year. We definitely have the size and a good coach... now they have the experience. But with that being said, this who I think should be our starters.

LT - Zion Nelson 6-5 315 (A projected first rounder)
LG - Navaughn Donaldson 6-6 335
C - Corey Gaynor 6-4 310
RG - DJ Scaife 6-3 315
RT - Jarrid Williams 6'6 320

That's size!! Also, I'm factoring a projected training camp weight lol.

Advertisement
...solid this coming season. By all accounts, Justice is legit. We've actually recruited a number of highly rated OL. and we have quite a bit of age coming back to the OL this season. AND we get a Spring this time.

Hey, I'm an optimist. "On paper" we really should have a 10 win season coming up, and the OL, if that happens, will have to be solid. And, the leader, if he's interested in an NFL career, should be #55.
I don't think a spring is guaranteed at this point?

I don't think a spring is guaranteed at this point?
No more guaranteed than anything in this life, but we just went through an entire CFB season with the pandemic as we stumbled along and tried to figure out how to do things. At this point, I'll be shocked if we don't have Spring training. Now, will some of the players catch C19 and have to sit out for some/all of it? I can see that happening.

Scarce is not good at Guard. Did you not watch the last season? He needs to move back to OT where he was at least passable.

Do you know what makes OL good beyond just coaching and size... experience. OL is where you need the most experience. The problem with Miami's OL is that we've been playing more young guys than older one, and they lack playing together experience. Look at all the other programs with good OL, not only do they have size, but they're JRs, SRs or 5th year SRs. I believe Miami's OL will be a top 10 OL next year. We definitely have the size and a good coach... now they have the experience. But with that being said, this who I think should be our starters.

LT - Zion Nelson 6-5 315 (A projected first rounder)
LG - Navaughn Donaldson 6-6 335
C - Corey Gaynor 6-4 310
RG - DJ Scaife 6-3 315
RT - Jarrid Williams 6'6 320

That's size!! Also, I'm factoring a projected training camp weight lol.

Advertisement
Back