Strong gone

Advertisement
I'm old enough to remember 12 months ago when CIS crowned this the best staff ever. 🤣
You Got Me Police GIF by Max Amini

247 is wrong lol. HC cannot be listed as primary recruiter but good try

How about we let Skinner say what flipped him to Miami:

Skinner went through the timeline on Thursday of his Miami Hurricanes recruitment. The relationship with Cristobal and Skinner predated his hire at Miami. It has often been said that recruiting is about relationships. The decision by Skinner to flip from Alabama to Miami happened when everything came together.

“The number one thing was Steve Field. Because he’s been on me since the day…Because remember earlier last year I committed to Alabama. Coach Fields was the first person to call me after I committed. He was the first person to call me. Nobody from (the) Alabama staff called me.

He was the first…The number two thing was them the hire coach Cristobal. I was the first recruit he came to see after he got the job when I was at IMG. That meant a lot to me that show how much…I meant to him because me and him already had a really strong relationship coming into it.

After he got a job here that helped seal the deal…The number the three thing, the third thing would be my family’s comfortability here because that was one big thing with me if I’m comfortable here and my family’s comfortable here I know I can be successful here.”

So it appears Field was the one who recruited & continued to recruit him, but b/c of the prior relationship w/ Mario at UO, it solidified the flip b/c it added another level of comfort.

Advertisement

Skinner went through the timeline on Thursday of his Miami Hurricanes recruitment. The relationship with Cristobal and Skinner predated his hire at Miami. It has often been said that recruiting is about relationships. The decision by Skinner to flip from Alabama to Miami happened when everything came together.

“The number one thing was Steve Field. Because he’s been on me since the day…Because remember earlier last year I committed to Alabama. Coach Fields was the first person to call me after I committed. He was the first person to call me. Nobody from (the) Alabama staff called me.

He was the first…The number two thing was them the hire coach Cristobal. I was the first recruit he came to see after he got the job when I was at IMG. That meant a lot to me that show how much…I meant to him because me and him already had a really strong relationship coming into it.

After he got a job here that helped seal the deal…The number the three thing, the third thing would be my family’s comfortability here because that was one big thing with me if I’m comfortable here and my family’s comfortable here I know I can be successful here.”

So it appears Field was the one who recruited & continued to recruit him, but b/c of the prior relationship w/ Mario at UO, it solidified the flip b/c it added another level of comfort.
Idk if you know this, but we are much more interested in building narratives in all parts of life. Plz refrain from this. Thx

Advertisement

I've already tried to tell him it was Field that was responsible. That was the relationship. He just wasn't coming here to play for a Mickey Mouse program ran by Manny Diaz. Mario coming and promising and showing it was going to be 1st class and legit put us over Alabama. That's all that changed.

Field develops good relationships with the kids and is real and relates. Can't say the same thing about many others on staff. Field, DVD, Mirabal and maybe Kevin Smith.. I just don't know much about him.

Critiquing his coaching ability is 10000% fair game.

CIS: they better not promote Strong to DC. He hasn’t coach the the D as a DC in over 10 years.

Also CIS: Strong leaving is a terrible look. How could Mario let this happen? Strong should’ve stayed with his tail tucked between his legs, and swallowed his pride.

Hint: one way, or the other, once a different DC was named, he was going to leave either way.

Lies No GIF

Which is to be expected. If you’ve been in business long enough, you see this kind of thing happen all the time. Someone with quite a bit of experience that gets passed over for a promotion, and they leave. It’s common, it’s called pride. So I don’t see how that’s a bad look for Miami? No one’s going to talk him into staying if he feels he got passed over.
As I mentioned previously, Miami "is spending the money to be a big boy program".

Said big boy program now has 3 high profile departures. Let's put Steele to side because he upgraded.

2 high profile departures. Certainly happens. If I were higher level authority, I'd be casting somewhat a skeptical eye towards who hired GERDis and Strong. Personally just don't feel it's a great look.

Now, next men in at 3 critical positions with Spring Camp starting very soon.

Advertisement
One great thing about having money is whomever you want to keep, you do.
Almost anytime you see a coach leave this university it will be because Mario decided not to match a salary, or simply no longer wanted that coach. There will be exceptions for family or where a coach wants to live, but the exception will almost never be because of money.
Now we still have to make good decisions and I believe Mario will continue to do that as he did with Guidry, but at least we have removed the biggest monkey off our back..Money.

I've already tried to tell him it was Field that was responsible. That was the relationship. He just wasn't coming here to play for a Mickey Mouse program ran by Manny Diaz. Mario coming and promising and showing it was going to be 1st class and legit put us over Alabama. That's all that changed.

Field develops good relationships with the kids and is real and relates. Can't say the same thing about many others on staff. Field, DVD, Mirabal and maybe Kevin Smith.. I just don't know much about him.

Critiquing his coaching ability is 10000% fair game.

First off; it’s been a long time pimp, so glad to see u back w/ us.

2nd, I’m just not sure of this incessant “have to be right” mentality that’s brewed over the past several yrs here. Like, ppl really trying to die on a hill w/ a slippery slope out here. And be adamant as fck, including telling a recruiting site they’re wrong! Lol. Wow; what a time to be a member of CIS.

CIS: they better not promote Strong to DC. He hasn’t coach the the D as a DC in over 10 years.

Also CIS: Strong leaving is a terrible look. How could Mario let this happen? Strong should’ve stayed with his tail tucked between his legs, and swallowed his pride.

Hint: one way, or the other, once a different DC was named, he was going to leave either way.
I for one was not on "Strong to DC" choo choo.

It now appears Stromg was likely to leave regardless, so no other strong recruiter/LB coach was available that could give Miami continuity?

Advertisement

I mean is anyone actually saying they are upset he’s leaving? Seems like the narrative is people are okay with it and understanding

Strong 1000% should not have been the playcaller or even considered for it here. Good call by Mario. Yes, you do lose touch and times have changed over the 15 years since he's called plays. Yes, he understands the game has changed and has been coaching. However, tendencies and trends in play-calling have changed and his strategy as a playcaller isn't pressure tested in the modern era. Would have been no different than hiring Campanile who has never called plays himself. It's that different.

Keeping him as a LB coach would have been fine but totally understand if he felt slighted and wants to do his own thing or even if Guidry wants his own guys. Reality is he's 62 and recruiting isn't easy these days. We need a young, relentless recruiter that's wanting to make a name for himself and climb the coaching ladder. It's not easy to recruit the next year or 2 when you sign 4 LBs in 1 class. Only gonna get harder and idk if Strong is up for it.

Advertisement
Back