Strengths, weaknesses and Nobody knows

Advertisement
KJ isn't some freshman. He's an experienced D1 WR who had 900 yards last year. He has proven otherwise.

Ok I understand your point. But I must ask - Who was the DB that transferred to us that was supposed to come in and beast because he was all conference at Tulane or some ****? Dude was so below average I can’t even remember his name at this point and it was just a year ago.

Point stands...WR is a weakness at this point until proven otherwise.

Ok I understand your point. But I must ask - Who was the DB that transferred to us that was supposed to come in and beast because he was all conference at Tulane or some ****? Dude was so below average I can’t even remember his name at this point and it was just a year ago.

We’ve had pretty decent luck w G transfers, but also he’s been looking good this spring against a good D.

Kennedy OTH...

WR...until proven otherwise...is a weakness.

Kayne Farquason and Kendall Thompkins also tore it up during the spring once upon a time.

The thing about college football is there are always unproven units. So technically every single team in the country has fans that can say “Until proven otherwise....”

People graduate and declare. New guys that aren’t proven move up on the depth chart.

But every team in the country besides maybe 10 teams at most would trade their WR corps for this one. It has six four-star players. They will most likely be pretty good. If they somehow flop as a unit, it will be more random than anything.

Advertisement
Special teams and OL are the only legit concerns on paper. Other than that team has a good pipeline of talent.

Unproven is not a weakness, it’s something every college football team goes through.

Our WR situation is no different than the current state of the OL.

Donaldson and Scaife are the only ones with experience. Behind them there's 2 OL who were above average recruits: Herbert, Reed

And several marginal recruits: Campbell, Hillery, Nelson, Gaynor, Brown, Kennedy, Dykstra, Clark, Elgammal

At WR it's Thomas, KJ, and then everyone else in terms of production and experience, with a handful of blue chips: Pope, Hightower, Harley, Payton

The rest: Wiggins, Njoku, Few

There's slightly more promise at WR but both units are largely untested, inexperienced, or have questionable talent at this juncture. A lot needs to go right for WR and OL to reach the same level as DL, TE, perhaps RB.

Here's how I would rank each unit:

1. DL - adding Hill and Nnoruka was genius
2. TE - 3 viable options
3. RB - 3 viable options
4. LB - depth is iffy but 55 & 56 are solid
5. DB - good depth
6. QB - 3 viable options
7. WR - promising but young
8. OL - get on your knees and pray

Probably thinking of Dee Delaney from The Citadel

WR room is absolutely a huge question mark. Young and unproven outside of JT4, KJO, Harley. Fewer than 15 receptions and zero career TDs between Pope, Njoku, Wiggins, Hightower, Payton. Plenty of promise but they'll need to grow up fast.
Harley is proven?!? What the **** is going on in this thread.

Advertisement
His hands are cast iron skillets but in 2018 Harley put together consecutive 70+ yard outings and had 2 or more receptions in 8 games, which makes him Jerry Rice compared with the rest of the WRs not named Thomas and Osborn.

Let’s be real about each unit

Strengths (in order of strength):
DL (one of the deepest and most talented in the nation)
TE (Not even sure who is better Brevin or Mallory...sprinkle in Playmaker jr and wow)
RB (Cam and Deejay with Lingard and Burns for depth is pretty good unit)
LB (Not elite, but not bad at all and potential to be really good)

Weaknesses (in order of ineptitude)
OL (sorry but this unit is just plain bad)
Special teams (pathetic)
WR (until proven otherwise, Jeff Thomas is our only legit weapon - and lets be honest he clicked well with Malik but not with Kosi)
Secondary (be mad all you want, but knowles getting playing time makes this unit weak overall

Nobody Knows:
QB (one guy threw for 40% accuracy, another guy couldn’t beat him out, and a third guy transferred out of fear he couldn’t beat out an incoming transfer). The potential is there, but thats all it is at this point and nothing more.

I want to believe in Manny and Enos having a huge first year but it’s definitely an uphill climb.

I think you're selling WR short. I wouldn't say it's a strength or weakness. It's fine until proven one way or the other. You fail to mention Osborn, who was on the Biletnikoff watch. He's the most accomplished WR on the team. We could do much worse than having two players the caliber of Thomas and Osborn starting, sprinkling in several 4-5 star types behind them.

I won't get into the drops much, but that's mostly on Wiggins and Harley who both should be way down the depth chart at this point.

[/QUOTE]
WR room is absolutely a huge question mark. Young and unproven outside of JT4, KJO, Harley. Fewer than 15 receptions and zero career TDs between Pope, Njoku, Wiggins, Hightower, Payton. Plenty of promise but they'll need to grow up fast.

Nitpicking, but Hightower did score against LSU.

Advertisement
We need to strive for the Meatloaf effect: "Two outta Three ain't bad," because as we showed last year, a great defense can easily be wasted if you aren't good on offense and consistently loose the field position game because of weak punting.

I feel a little better coming out of this spring over last year about the O-line (A little, not much, just a smidgen, mostly because of coaching and offense change).

I'm still not confident given the lack of progress with the Qs, understand its all new and much will happen over summer. Last year, I thought Maleek would finally play like his years of experience suggested he should. I'm hoping that for Kosi this year, but I still will be really shocked if he's the guy.

Don't want to be a downer, but the problems are pretty **** similar to last year's at this point.

The positives are, we have better position coaching in several areas, and more energy, accountability with the TNM. That better carry us through that first game so DejaVu doesn't happen.

Our WR situation is no different than the current state of the OL.

Donaldson and Scaife are the only ones with experience. Behind them there's 2 OL who were above average recruits: Herbert, Reed

And several marginal recruits: Campbell, Hillery, Nelson, Gaynor, Brown, Kennedy, Dykstra, Clark, Elgammal

At WR it's Thomas, KJ, and then everyone else in terms of production and experience, with a handful of blue chips: Pope, Hightower, Harley, Payton

The rest: Wiggins, Njoku, Few

There's slightly more promise at WR but both units are largely untested, inexperienced, or have questionable talent at this juncture. A lot needs to go right for WR and OL to reach the same level as DL, TE, perhaps RB.

Here's how I would rank each unit:

1. DL - adding Hill and Nnoruka was genius
2. TE - 3 viable options
3. RB - 3 viable options
4. LB - depth is iffy but 55 & 56 are solid
5. DB - good depth
6. QB - 3 viable options
7. WR - promising but young
8. OL - get on your knees and pray

Great stuff rok

Advertisement

The kid from Citadel? They're FCS.

Advertisement
Back