Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Advertisement
The trade off going to a low tax states are, and I’ll use Texas as an example, lower rated public schools, loss of women’s rights, poor infrastructure, like the electrical grid, a nationalist agenda, racism, a gun culture and lower pay, to name a few problems. Pretty soon the 15% corporate tax will kick in for companies making over a billion dollars.
The poorest states are almost exclusively in the Deep South.
go ahead and neg me.
Have you seen the Simpsons episode where Homer becomes the trash chief and Springfield turns into a dump, so they literally move the whole town and the last scene is people littering as they are driving the town down the highway? That’s the migration of America with politics following.

I live in the general South, and yes, some of these policies should never have been passed or pushed and were settled law. With that said, despite all of those policies you listed, people from the west and north keep moving here. Largely tax and take home pay related. And yet, those people have come here and are now voting in the same politicians with the same policies that caused them to move in the first place.

What’s interesting locally, is that the red districts and counties have the very good public schools and the blue, not so much. Yet the higher county taxes are in the blue counties. Why is that?

Broader, if all of those things you assert are true and taken at face value, why do those states with all of those problems see a net increase in migration? And what happens if those same policies and politicians keep raising taxes or business unfriendly policies are voted into these regions?

08:15USDADP Employment Change(Aug)177K-0.17195K371K
Believe or not July payrolls was revised up to 371,000 from 324K
177K is a good number for the Fed..
A GDP number between 2-3% is strong

08:30USDCore Personal Consumption Expenditures (QoQ)(Q2) PREL 3.7% -3.8% 3.8%
08:30USDGoods Trade Balance(Jul) PREL $-91.2B--$-88.2B
08:30USDGross Domestic Product Annualized(Q2) PREL 2.1% -2.4% 2.4%
08:30USDGross Domestic Product Price Index(Q2) PREL
2% -0.562.2% 2.2%
Again…good numbers for the Fed…the economy is definitely cooling off.

Advertisement
Have you seen the Simpsons episode where Homer becomes the trash chief and Springfield turns into a dump, so they literally move the whole town and the last scene is people littering as they are driving the town down the highway? That’s the migration of America with politics following.

I live in the general South, and yes, some of these policies should never have been passed or pushed and were settled law. With that said, despite all of those policies you listed, people from the west and north keep moving here. Largely tax and take home pay related. And yet, those people have come here and are now voting in the same politicians with the same policies that caused them to move in the first place.

What’s interesting locally, is that the red districts and counties have the very good public schools and the blue, not so much. Yet the higher county taxes are in the blue counties. Why is that?

Broader, if all of those things you assert are true and taken at face value, why do those states with all of those problems see a net increase in migration? And what happens if those same policies and politicians keep raising taxes or business unfriendly policies are voted into these regions?
I don’t believe we are overtaxed. We have to keep up the strongest military in the world and we have an aging population. Every government Department should be downsized, but good luck with that. It’s funny to see red states taking credit for any act that financially helps the middle class. It’s nice to finally seeing prescription drug prices going down to the rates that Canada and Mexico pays. If you are a conservative, libertarian, or progressive, we should be against cartels.
unfortunately we do not have a immigration policy. That’s on both parties.

The word "uninvestible" has become a dirty word, and I know it has rankled porsters here when I have used it but China has been for a number of years now, and so is SFO, LA, Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago, Seattle, etc etc. If you want to make money, invest with the wind at your back.

US Commerce chief leaves China on upbeat note after 'uninvestible' remark​

I don’t believe we are overtaxed. We have to keep up the strongest military in the world and we have an aging population. Every government Department should be downsized, but good luck with that. It’s funny to see red states taking credit for any act that financially helps the middle class. It’s nice to finally seeing prescription drug prices going down to the rates that Canada and Mexico pays. If you are a conservative, libertarian, or progressive, we should be against cartels.
Sure but you are conflating two points - federal taxes vs. state and local taxes.

08:30USDCore Personal Consumption Expenditures (QoQ)(Q2) PREL 3.7% -3.8%3.8%
08:30USDGoods Trade Balance(Jul) PREL $-91.2B--$-88.2B
08:30USDGross Domestic Product Annualized(Q2) PREL 2.1% -2.4%2.4%
08:30USDGross Domestic Product Price Index(Q2) PREL 2% -0.562.2%2.2%
Again…good numbers for the Fed…the economy is definitely cooling off.
Odds of November rate hike is down. Bad news = good news.

Advertisement
Pretty much all the "public school ratings" I've seen have Deep South States like Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana -- along with Alaska and Hawaii -- bringing up the bottom of pretty much every list. There's a million ways those lists can be compiled.

Pretty much all the "public school ratings" I've seen have Deep South States like Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana -- along with Alaska and Hawaii -- bringing up the bottom of pretty much every list. There's a million ways those lists can be compiled.
We've discussed college ratings many times, but the same arguments apply here. Nobody looks at what goes into the ratings, just the final number.

Same with things like "best states to live" that has New Jersey at number 1.

I was referring to Federal taxes…
This was your original post that I responded to:

“The trade off going to a low tax states are, and I’ll use Texas as an example, lower rated public schools, loss of women’s rights, poor infrastructure, like the electrical grid, a nationalist agenda, racism, a gun culture and lower pay, to name a few problems. ”

Those are all state issues and you specifically say going to a low tax state.

Advertisement
I’m not questioning that, but if you peel back one layer further, there is a locality to it. School systems are typically either county or city operated and even then it depends on your district within the system. That’s my sole point.

I’m not questioning that, but if you peel back one layer further, there is a locality to it. School systems are typically either county or city operated and even then it depends on your district within the system. That’s my sole point.
And you make a good point. I have a feeling the lists that rank Southern states low are based on money being spent on education. We all know that is hardly the be all and end all for good public education.

100% in my area.

My county is actually very OLD (near Richmond, VA). Areas still getting developed have new schools, driving better teachers to them, higher donations to PTAs, more family involvement with students, better-ranked schools... The areas with 100+-year-old schools have lower-income families, teachers try to transfer out when they get offers, PTAs don't have as much money, and parents are less involved... The county doesn't have the funds to demo 100-year-old schools to build new ones so the district you live in determines the quality of the education for your kids. There aren't a ton of private schools and the cost of them is similar to a public university. Thus, the overall ranking for the county schools isn't great but you have some top % schools and some bottom % all in the same county.

Advertisement
100% in my area.

My county is actually very OLD (near Richmond, VA). Areas still getting developed have new schools, driving better teachers to them, higher donations to PTAs, more family involvement with students, better-ranked schools... The areas with 100+-year-old schools have lower-income families, teachers try to transfer out when they get offers, PTAs don't have as much money, and parents are less involved... The county doesn't have the funds to demo 100-year-old schools to build new ones so the district you live in determines the quality of the education for your kids. There aren't a ton of private schools and the cost of them is similar to a public university. Thus, the overall ranking for the county schools isn't great but you have some top % schools and some bottom % all in the same county.
We can all agree that the lowest income areas have lower rated schools. We also know that public schools are lacking teachers, but have too many administrators and pencil pushers.

We can all agree that the lowest income areas have lower rated schools. We also know that public schools are lacking teachers, but have too many administrators and pencil pushers.

I’ll go as far as saying public education is broken. Even the good schools are so standardized that teachers hate their jobs, students fall behind in subjects they are weak at, and the trades aren’t taught anymore. The build a new school for good rankings are temporary.

Im concerned for my kids. GDP could skyrocket based on robots and AI. This could also lead to massive unemployment and population decline. People need a reason to live.

Now this is more like it!

Advertisement
Back