Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

I’ll go as far as saying public education is broken. Even the good schools are so standardized that teachers hate their jobs, students fall behind in subjects they are weak at, and the trades aren’t taught anymore. The build a new school for good rankings are temporary.

Im concerned for my kids. GDP could skyrocket based on robots and AI. This could also lead to massive unemployment and population decline. People need a reason to live.
Your right. People are not seeing the economy as strong. I’m sure people felt that way when we became industrialized. More machines meant less workers. It seems today that kids are having heavier workloads at schools than we use to have, but not everyone is college material, so we need trade schools and junior colleges to fill the gap. Unfortunately everything is too political and there is too much uncertainty.

Advertisement
I don’t believe we are overtaxed. We have to keep up the strongest military in the world and we have an aging population. Every government Department should be downsized, but good luck with that. It’s funny to see red states taking credit for any act that financially helps the middle class. It’s nice to finally seeing prescription drug prices going down to the rates that Canada and Mexico pays. If you are a conservative, libertarian, or progressive, we should be against cartels.
unfortunately we do not have a immigration policy. That’s on both parties.

I am at 50% just in Federal/SS/Meds, and then add literally dozens if not hundreds of federal, state and local taxes. I am definitely being overtaxed.

I am at 50% just in Federal/SS/Meds, and then add literally dozens if not hundreds of federal, state and local taxes. I am definitely being overtaxed.
I'm less than 5% Fed/SS/Meds but I couldn't even tell you the amount of taxes I've paid at the state/local level (Gas, Personal Property, Income, Sales...). Those state and local taxes are hidden in many things that they compound. I pay income taxes then have to pay property taxes using after-tax dollars, same with purchases etc.

Now I've had years at 50% in the past.

100% in my area.

My county is actually very OLD (near Richmond, VA). Areas still getting developed have new schools, driving better teachers to them, higher donations to PTAs, more family involvement with students, better-ranked schools... The areas with 100+-year-old schools have lower-income families, teachers try to transfer out when they get offers, PTAs don't have as much money, and parents are less involved... The county doesn't have the funds to demo 100-year-old schools to build new ones so the district you live in determines the quality of the education for your kids. There aren't a ton of private schools and the cost of them is similar to a public university. Thus, the overall ranking for the county schools isn't great but you have some top % schools and some bottom % all in the same county.
Same in mine. Atlanta has a few elementary schools that are good. Most aren’t. And the high schools they feed into are not good anyways. Conversely, Cobb County, which has lower taxes, has excellent schools.

Advertisement
Interesting chart of Fed possibilities, this is not an ML chart but it ties to what they are forecasting (one more hike this year and then cuts next year).

1693424486305.png

I feel like Ricky Bobby at the dinning room table… “please bless lower rates and allow another housing boom 3lb 4oz baby Jesus.”

Advertisement
CPI tomorrow? If so, it could put an end to hikes.

Traditionally the market hits it low point 6-12 months after the first rate cut. Thus, Dec 2024-June 2025.

CPI tomorrow? If so, it could put an end to hikes.

Traditionally the market hits it low point 6-12 months after the first rate cut. Thus, Dec 2024-June 2025.
No. core personal consumption…which is watched closely by the Fed.

Core personal consumption is looked at as inflation numbers.
08:30USDContinuing Jobless Claims(Aug 18) 1.725M0.961.7M1.697M
08:30USDCore Personal Consumption Expenditures - Price Index (MoM)(Jul) 0.2% 00.2% 0.2%
08:30USDCore Personal Consumption Expenditures - Price Index (YoY)(Jul) 4.2% 04.2% 4.1%
08:30USDInitial Jobless Claims(Aug 25) 228K-0.63235K232K
08:30USDInitial Jobless Claims 4-week average(Aug 25) 237.5K--237.25K
08:30USDPersonal Consumption Expenditures - Price Index (MoM)(Jul) 0.2% 00.2% 0.2%
08:30USDPersonal Consumption Expenditures - Price Index (YoY)(Jul) 3.3% 03.3% 3%
08:30USDPersonal Income (MoM)(Jul)
0.2% -0.910.3% 0.3%
Core CPE…Pretty much as expected but fractional up from last month.
personal income down.
jobless claims down.

Remember that SS and Medicare will pay you back in spades. Other taxes pay for things you need [schools, roads, sewer/water, garbage p/u, lighting, etc]. I understand the frustration, but America has lower taxes than other westernized countries.

Advertisement
Remember that SS and Medicare will pay you back in spades. Other taxes pay for things you need [schools, roads, sewer/water, garbage p/u, lighting, etc]. I understand the frustration, but America has lower taxes than other westernized countries.
Nobody would have any problem with taxes if the governments treated expenditures responsibly.

You could make that argument for Medicare, but SS adds insult to injury by taxing payments.

08:30USDAverage Hourly Earnings (MoM)(Aug)0.2% -1.340.3%0.4%
08:30USDAverage Hourly Earnings (YoY)(Aug)4.3% -4.4%4.4%
08:30USDAverage Weekly Hours(Aug)34.41.2534.334.3
08:30USDLabor Force Participation Rate(Aug)62.8% -62.6%62.6%
08:30USDNonfarm Payrolls(Aug)187K-170K157K
USDU6 Underemployment Rate(Aug)7.1% 2.216.8%6.7%
08:30USDUnemployment Rate(Aug)3.8% -3.5%3.5%
Hourly earning down
unemployment rate up
non-farm payrolls up. It seems payroll numbers keep getting adjusted.
33% of November rate hike per cnbc poll

Advertisement
09:45USDS&P Global Manufacturing PMI(Aug)--4747
10:00USDConstruction Spending (MoM)(Jul)--0.5%0.5%
10:00USDISM Manufacturing Employment Index(Aug)--44.244.4
10:00USDISM Manufacturing New Orders Index(Aug)--46.347.3
10:00USDISM Manufacturing PMI(Aug) ***--4746.4
10:00USDISM Manufacturing Prices Paid(Aug)--43.942.6
Fractional moves

S&P over 4500
APPL wants to break 190.

Last edited:
09:45USDS&P Global Manufacturing PMI(Aug)--4747
10:00USDConstruction Spending (MoM)(Jul)--0.5%0.5%
10:00USDISM Manufacturing Employment Index(Aug)--44.244.4
10:00USDISM Manufacturing New Orders Index(Aug)--46.347.3
10:00USDISM Manufacturing PMI(Aug) ***--4746.4
10:00USDISM Manufacturing Prices Paid(Aug)--43.942.6
Fractional moves

S&P over 4500
APPL wants to break 190.
Do you have any thoughts on TSLA?

I own, but it’s a long term investment. I’m not expecting a big move up anytime soon, but I added more when competitors started using Tesla’s charging stations. BTW my charging station stocks are down…a lot…
wait for the next big drop…lol
I'm also long term and own a lot. My conundrum is trying to make sense of all the moving parts. There is way more to TSLA then just the cars they make.

Advertisement
Back