Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

TimeEventImpactActualDevConsensusPrevious
THURSDAY, JANUARY 26
13:30USDChicago Fed National Activity Index (Dec)-0.51---0.05
13:30USDContinuing Jobless Claims(Jan 13) TRADE NOW1.675M0.641.659M1.655M
13:30USDCore Personal Consumption Expenditures (QoQ)(Q4) PREL TRADE NOW3.9% -12.785.3%4.7%
13:30USDDurable Goods Orders(Dec) TRADE NOW5.6% 4.302.5%-1.7%
13:30USDDurable Goods Orders ex Defense(Dec) TRADE NOW6.3% 4.08-0.1%-2.7%
13:30USDDurable Goods Orders ex Transportation(Dec) TRADE NOW-0.1% -0.250%0.1%
13:30USDGoods Trade Balance(Dec) PREL $-90.3B--$-84.1B
13:30USDGross Domestic Product Annualized(Q4) PREL TRADE NOW2.9% 2.742.6%3.2%
13:30USDGross Domestic Product Price Index(Q4) PREL TRADE NOW3.5% 0.353.3%4.4%
13:30USDInitial Jobless Claims(Jan 20) TRADE NOW186K-2.78205K192K
13:30USDInitial Jobless Claims 4-week average(Jan 20)197.5K--206.75K
13:30USDNondefense Capital Goods Orders ex Aircraft(Dec)-0.2% 0-0.2%0.1%

durable goods up..jobless claims almost even, GDP down but still strong, we are still spending, but at a slower rate. Personal consumption was down.
again the numbers from December are backwards looking. Good is bad and bad is good?????

Advertisement
A lot of consumer spending is related to discounts because of high inventory.
January is/was a great month for stocks.
I apologize for the optimism..

Last edited:
A lot of consumer spending is related to discounts because of high inventory.
January is/was a great month for stocks.
I apologize for the optimism..
If supply and demand dictate items only move at a lower price point, then we are seeing a reduction of inflation.

If supply and demand dictate items only move at a lower price point, then we are seeing a reduction of inflation.
The Chips Act, the clean energy bill and the Infrastructure bills haven’t even kicked in yet. we ain't seen nuthen yet.

Advertisement
The Chips Act, the clean energy bill and the Infrastructure bills haven’t even kicked in yet. we ain't seen nuthen yet.
Not sure that helps if they are injecting more into the money supply. We need to be cautious of confusing high prices and inflation.

I wasn’t talking inflation, I was referring to job numbers and GDP. The economy will remain strong and I believe the rate hikes are priced in.

Advertisement
I wasn’t talking inflation, I was referring to job numbers and GDP. The economy will remain strong and I believe the rate hikes are priced in.
Agree with you on rates being priced in.

I think we're looking at a monster "money maker" rally. I see 20-30% to the upside within the next 6-12 months and possibly a lot more into 2024.

Those who got out, get in, and those who are in, buy more. Buckle up!

Gym Kramer flashed The U Friday while talking about coming to campuss next week.
Dammit, Cramer! How hard is it to put all your fingers up?!

u hands university of miami GIF by Miami Hurricanes

However , as you know, an increase inflation means the Fed needs to do its job and curb it. That means higher interest rates and that means pouring water on any heated rallies.

Agree with you on rates being priced in.

I think we're looking at a monster "money maker" rally. I see 20-30% to the upside within the next 6-12 months and possibly a lot more into 2024.

Those who got out, get in, and those who are in, buy more. Buckle up!
I’m not on full speed ahead. I typically add on mainly on big down days.

Seems like you are jumping on board though.

Advertisement
I've been in shopping mode for the past 6 months. Been buying a lot of Tesla, though still down. Bought a lot of Tesla options, recently.
Big buyer of tesla. I let people do their due diligence. I think it’s the company of my generation(I just turned 40) but we’ll see. I have enough safety tech(apple, Msft, google, oracle) and blue chips(Starbucks, Walmart, target, Deere, Home Depot) to withstand a failure by tesla, but tesla is nowhere near just a car company.

In other news, crazy day by lucid yesterday.

Advertisement
Big buyer of tesla. I let people do their due diligence. I think it’s the company of my generation(I just turned 40) but we’ll see. I have enough safety tech(apple, Msft, google, oracle) and blue chips(Starbucks, Walmart, target, Deere, Home Depot) to withstand a failure by tesla, but tesla is nowhere near just a car company.

In other news, crazy day by lucid yesterday.
Tesla's energy storage business is really taking off. Couple that with my belief that they will be the leader in the semi and small car sector.

There are rumours that there will be big news at their March 1st investor meeting. I'm betting it's their small car plans. if so, the stock will be hitting all time highs.

I think Microsoft is the play for AI. I have a little c3ai that I got on the cheap at $14. But Microsoft with OpenAI investment is the safe play.
I watched a friend of mine using AI, for printing, and it blew me away. And it’s just beginning.
You are right, MSFT is one of the leaders in the field. NVDA is also up there. I’m willing to add on the next drop.
Hopefully a 25 rate hike sends a good signal.

Advertisement
Back