Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

It will NEVER make more sense to put solar on the vehicle instead of on the house/building/whatever. The area of a vehicle is just too small. And importantly cars crash, houses don’t.

At least if it was a truck or vehicle you’d go camping with, that limited amount of energy generated could be useful, but on a sedan? Doubt it. Far better investment is just increasing chargers and/or improving charge rate.
And also the comparison between houses and cars is irrelevant because no one is saying you have to choose either or. If someone has the money in the future, then why not?

Advertisement
Needing a car now is not good. If you can hold your ice car for a few more years go for it. Unless gas hits 6$ a gallon. Which I’m hearing it might this summer.
EV tech is just about here. I’d say 3 years. I’m positive my next car will be electric.

Guy I follow says most ICE car companies will be bankrupt by 2030. Way too late to the game. Watch an under the hood comparison YouTube video of MACH E v Tesla. What Tesla does with 1 piece Ford does with 20.

Tesla price point should be even with ice in a few years. Only reason to buy ice then would be for the looks. And I agree. Tesla needs to change its model design.
American's want to pull into the Shell station and in 2 minutes, be able to drive 300 miles. With an EV you can't do that, right now. That's a problem.

I'd happily get a Tesla for my wife's daily commute and keep the hybrid minivan for long trips. I'd also like to have a Powerwall in my garage for blackouts and a Solar Roof to charge it.

I can afford none of these.

I've been posting updates about my favorite EV startup play on here for a month or so...Mullen.

They have partnered to join the solid state battery push, and are finishing up final testing of their battery, which they claim to hold a 600 mile range for their upcoming Mullen FIVE SUV.

Here is a fairly recent article regarding some companies pushing for solid state batteries...including Mullen.

1653247229469.gif

I'd happily get a Tesla for my wife's daily commute and keep the hybrid minivan for long trips. I'd also like to have a Powerwall in my garage for blackouts and a Solar Roof to charge it.

I can afford none of these.
I've been watching a lot of DIY videos on YouTube and expert information is out there to install a system yourself.

Just don't fall off the roof.

Advertisement
Well at this level of technology obviously. Competition is breeding innovation though, and 10-20 years from now the technology will be much better than today.
Sure maybe theres a <1% chance.

On the surface of Earth, The Sun produces like 1000-1400 Watts per square meter under lab conditions. The Lightyear vehicle is 5.05m x 1.9m. Thats 5.5 square meters. That would be 5.5 KW. Solar panels on houses get like 5-7 hour of sunlight a day at best. That'd make at best 38.5 KWh, right?

Well even the best Solar panels on the market - which would not be used on a vehicle - are only capable of like 450W power and 22.5% efficiency... reducing that number to 4KWh. Good for 16 miles maybe? Thats worth like $0.42 a day. In an average vehicle loan of like 6 years, that would generate <$1000 in energy. And you have all the risk of an accident.

I'm not saying people wont buy it. I'm saying it's a bad investment to make on a vehicle that isn't implementing the solar panels in something that unfolds and can get much more surface area to capture sunlight...

I think the application of solar could be possible if it meant solar foils instead of your standard solar arrays as we know them now. I could see, in the semi not so distant future, incorporating solar charging into the skin of the vehicle.

Sure maybe theres a <1% chance.

On the surface of Earth, The Sun produces like 1000-1400 Watts per square meter under lab conditions. The Lightyear vehicle is 5.05m x 1.9m. Thats 5.5 square meters. That would be 5.5 KW. Solar panels on houses get like 5-7 hour of sunlight a day at best. That'd make at best 38.5 KWh, right?

Well even the best Solar panels on the market - which would not be used on a vehicle - are only capable of like 450W power and 22.5% efficiency... reducing that number to 4KWh. Good for 16 miles maybe? Thats worth like $0.42 a day. In an average vehicle loan of like 6 years, that would generate <$1000 in energy. And you have all the risk of an accident.

I'm not saying people wont buy it. I'm saying it's a bad investment to make on a vehicle that isn't implementing the solar panels in something that unfolds and can get much more surface area to capture sunlight...
Don't take my word for it.
If you think it is a bad investment, then don't invest.

Advertisement
American's want to pull into the Shell station and in 2 minutes, be able to drive 300 miles. With an EV you can't do that, right now. That's a problem.
Lol no they don't. Out of a thousand maybe like 5 people would only stop for 2 minutes after a 300 mile drive. You know that's like 4-5 hours of driving.
Secondly you start your trip with a full charge, and don't need to charge the EV up to 100% at the Fast Charger, you only need to charge it until you have enough range to reach your destination. They charge much faster at a low state of charge.

For example in a Model 3 you can go from SF to LA with just 15 minutes of charging. That's a 380Mile trip.
To Go from SF -> LA -> Phoenix (a 760 mile trip) all in one go, it'd take almost an hour of total charging time. So instead of a 11.5 hour trip, it's a 12.5 hour trip.... Except literally nobody drives 12 hours straight. So if say you stayed overnight in LA at a hotel, you could charge you vehicle overnight, and begin the second leg of LA - Phoenix with a full charge, and again get to Phoenix on only one 15 minute charge in between....

Don't take my word for it.
If you think it is a bad investment, then don't invest.
Aptera says they expect their solar on their vehicle to be good for about 20 miles a day. And thats not even on a sedan - Aptera is basically developing a motorcycle which is/will be far more efficient than a sedan, like the Lightyear could even dream of being. Apteras vehicle also has a smaller footprint to a sedan.

It's just a matter of fact that unless you are putting the solar on a large area - like say wings that unfold out, or maybe Trailers or something, they just don't actually add much if any value. Definitely not worth the cost. It's literally just a dumb selling point to buyers like saying "hey my vehicle has 15 cup holders and the competitor only has 8"... Just put the solar panels on whatever covers where you actually charge your vehicle. Far better investment.

I think the application of solar could be possible if it meant solar foils instead of your standard solar arrays as we know them now. I could see, in the semi not so distant future, incorporating solar charging into the skin of the vehicle.
Absolutely, especially for those high sun areas of the country. Probably start out as a hybrid.

Lol no they don't. Out of a thousand maybe like 5 people would only stop for 2 minutes after a 300 mile drive. You know that's like 4-5 hours of driving.
Secondly you start your trip with a full charge, and don't need to charge the EV up to 100% at the Fast Charger, you only need to charge it until you have enough range to reach your destination. They charge much faster at a low state of charge.

For example in a Model 3 you can go from SF to LA with just 15 minutes of charging. That's a 380Mile trip.
To Go from SF -> LA -> Phoenix (a 760 mile trip) all in one go, it'd take almost an hour of total charging time. So instead of a 11.5 hour trip, it's a 12.5 hour trip.... Except literally nobody drives 12 hours straight. So if say you stayed overnight in LA at a hotel, you could charge you vehicle overnight, and begin the second leg of LA - Phoenix with a full charge, and again get to Phoenix on only one 15 minute charge in between....
You're missing the point. People want ease of use. To be able to pull into an energy station and tank/charge up and be on their way.

Advertisement
You're missing the point. People want ease of use. To be able to pull into an energy station and tank/charge up and be on their way.
Whats easier to use than leaving your home every day with a full charge, and basically eliminating 90% of Gas Station trips in your day to day life? That's the point you are clearly missing. The average person travels like 30 miles a day. EVs today are easily capable of 200-400 miles.

I think you are vastly overestimating how many people travel more than 4-5 hours without taking a legit 20 minute break somewhere - to refuel, go to the bathroom, grab a snack, stretch, whatever.

Whats easier to use than leaving your home every day with a full charge, and basically eliminating 90% of Gas Station trips in your day to day life? That's the point you are clearly missing. The average person travels like 30 miles a day. EVs today are easily capable of 200-400 miles.

I think you are vastly overestimating how many people travel more than 4-5 hours without taking a legit 20 minute break somewhere - to refuel, go to the bathroom, grab a snack, stretch, whatever.
What do the people living in condos and apartments do? No easy answer for this one.

What do the people living in condos and apartments do? No easy answer for this one.

Advertisement

A tiny fraction of those people who travel more than 4-5 hours are Autotrain's entire customer base.

What do the people living in condos and apartments already do for parking?

It's an easy answer - you install Slow chargers (or at least outlets) where they currently already park.

The difficult part is getting dumbass slow to change complex managers/owners to embrace the future.
But theres also another solution that actually is far easier to accomplish - the places those owners will be driving TO like their Job will end up installing charging locations as a benefit to their employees - and they wont even charge for the electricity...

A tiny fraction of those people who travel more than 4-5 hours are Autotrain's entire customer base.
The argument isn't that there will be no ICE vehicles at all in the next 10 years.

But it is just a fact that it is already not an issue for over 90% of people.

The argument isn't that there will be no ICE vehicles at all in the next 10 years.

But it is just a fact that it is already not an issue for over 90% of people.
Maybe 90% of driving. I work from home. I drive hardly at all. But I'm also taking 2 trips to New England and Tennessee this summer.

Advertisement
Back