Steelers Mike Tomlin to Chase Young

Again, I didn't say he is bad, but he simply isn't better than above average. He is 3-5 in the playoffs since Cowhers teams have disappeared. He had a couple great 12-13 win seasons, and just as many 8 win seasons. As I said, average to above average.
That’s not all you said. You compared him to Coker. So you own the Coker assessment also. You think Coker was above average?

It’s a ridiculous comparison. Tomlin is a good coach. Coker was a catastrophe.

Advertisement
Steelers under Tomlin
2007 10-6*
2008 12-4* Won Super Bowl
2009 9-7
2010 12-4* Lost Super Bowl
2011 12-4*
2012 8-8
2013 8-8
2014 11-5*
2015 10-6*
2016 11-5*
2017 13-3*
2018 9-6
2019 8-8

* = made playoffs

Tomlin isn't Coker, He's Don Shula without the perfect season.

That’s not all you said. You compared him to Coker. So you own the Coker assessment also. You think Coker was above average?

It’s a ridiculous comparison. Tomlin is a good coach. Coker was a catastrophe.
The Coker comparison was more to compare the fact that Tomlin hasn't won the big one with a team of his own making. I am originally from PA and nearly everyone I know are Steelers fans, most of which are season ticket holders. None of them are happy with what he has done on his own.

Steelers under Tomlin
2007 10-6*
2008 12-4* Won Super Bowl * Bill Cowher says "you're welcome"
2009 9-7
2010 12-4* Lost Super Bowl
2011 12-4*
2012 8-8
2013 8-8
2014 11-5*
2015 10-6* *3-5 in the playoffs since 2010
2016 11-5*
2017 13-3*
2018 9-6
2019 8-8

* = made playoffs

Tomlin isn't Coker, He's Don Shula without the perfect season.
I honestly think your comparison to Shula is far more laughable than the Coker comparison

Advertisement
The Coker comparison was more to compare the fact that Tomlin hasn't won the big one with a team of his own making. I am originally from PA and nearly everyone I know are Steelers fans, most of which are season ticket holders. None of them are happy with what he has done on his own.
But it’s a terrible comparison, no matter how your steeler fan friends feel. Coker crashed the ship almost immediately. Destroyed the culture, the play, the evals. You made the comparison because they both won with inherited teams. But the point of the comparison was what happened next. Coker destroyed the program like a biblical plague and was removed fast but not fast enough to save us from being turned into a pillar of salt. Tomlin continued to maintain the team as above average. Very, very different outcomes.

But it’s a terrible comparison, no matter how your steeler fan friends feel. Coker crashed the ship almost immediately. Destroyed the culture, the play, the evals. You made the comparison because they both won with inherited teams. But the point of the comparison was what happened next. Coker destroyed the program like a biblical plague and was removed fast but not fast enough to save us from being turned into a pillar of salt. Tomlin continued to maintain the team as above average. Very, very different outcomes.

Fine, but you proved my overall point in your next to the last sentence, "maintain the team as above average"
So I stand by my original post, he has done squat since losing Cowhers players.

Advertisement
LOL. Put Tomlin on the open market and see what kind of money he gets offered. Great coaches are not a dime a dozen in the NFL. Ask every losing franchisee of the past 10 years. **** ask the Dolphins.
As a Lions fan, i'd kill for Tomlin as a coach. Literally kill.

Fine, but you proved my overall point in your next to the last sentence, "maintain the team as above average"
So I stand by my original post, he has done squat since losing Cowhers players.
maintaining a team above average consistently in the nfl is a lot more than 'squat.' you're not applying any math here. above average consistently is actually really hard to do. in the stock market, it makes you an all-time great. And in fact, the Steelers have the third best record in the entire NFL over the past decade. If you think he's meh that's your emotions doing the thinking for you.

maintaining a team above average consistently in the nfl is a lot more than 'squat.' you're not applying any math here. above average consistently is actually really hard to do. in the stock market, it makes you an all-time great. And in fact, the Steelers have the third best record in the entire NFL over the past decade. If you think he's meh that's your emotions doing the thinking for you.
I apologize, I didn't realize "above average" was the goal of a football program.

I apologize, I didn't realize "above average" was the goal of a football program.
I guess it's all relative to where your team currently sits. Back in 96 the Dolphin fans were weary of fizzling out in the first round of the playoffs every year and wanted Shula gone. They spent the next twenty years regretting it.

It's just proof of the addage, "Better is the enemy of good enough." People understandably want to get to that next level. For 50% of the league "above average" is their goal.

Advertisement
I guess it's all relative to where your team currently sits. Back in 96 the Dolphin fans were weary of fizzling out in the first round of the playoffs every year and wanted Shula gone. They spent the next twenty years regretting it.

It's just proof of the addage, "Better is the enemy of good enough." People understandably want to get to that next level. For 50% of the league "above average" is their goal.
I can agree with this.

Again, I didn't say he is bad, but he simply isn't better than above average. He is 3-5 in the playoffs since Cowhers teams have disappeared. He had a couple great 12-13 win seasons, and just as many 8 win seasons. As I said, average to above average.

This is comical goal-post moving. You literally said he "hasn't done squat". That isn't average to above-average.

Also, just to really finish this thing off, Cowher inherited the franchise from Chuck Noll (pretty decent coach in his own right) and in 15 years:

Cowher went to fewer Super Bowls than Tomlin

Tomlin has a better regular season win % per PFR (.657 vs .623)

Had 3 seasons of 7 or fewer wins, 4 seasons of 8 or fewer wins and 6 seasons of 9 or fewer wins

I'm not sure if you're a Stillers fan or not but I find it qwhite interesting that Stillers fans have turned Bill Cowher into Vince Lombardi and Mike Tomlin is an up-jumped ball boy.

This is comical goal-post moving. You literally said he "hasn't done squat". That isn't average to above-average.

Also, just to really finish this thing off, Cowher inherited the franchise from Chuck Noll (pretty decent coach in his own right) and in 15 years:

Cowher went to fewer Super Bowls than Tomlin

Tomlin has a better regular season win % per PFR (.657 vs .623)

Had 3 seasons of 7 or fewer wins, 4 seasons of 8 or fewer wins and 6 seasons of 9 or fewer wins

I'm not sure if you're a Stillers fan or not but I find it qwhite interesting that Stillers fans have turned Bill Cowher into Vince Lombardi and Mike Tomlin is an up-jumped ball boy.
To be fair Cowher inherited a pretty mediocre team. They were coming off a losing record when they hired him.

Advertisement
To be fair Cowher inherited a pretty mediocre team. They were coming off a losing record when they hired him.

That's fine, but he also went 6-10 in Year 11. My point isn't that Cowher sucks, it's just that his resume is pretty much the same as Tomlin's.

That's fine, but he also went 6-10 in Year 11. My point isn't that Cowher sucks, it's just that his resume is pretty much the same as Tomlin's.
And my point was that Tomlin is nothing more than a slightly above average coach, and you proved me right. Cowher inherited a mess, Tomlin was handed the keys to a Porsche. Sorry I got your blood pressure so high.

And my point was that Tomlin is nothing more than a slightly above average coach, and you proved me right. Cowher inherited a mess, Tomlin was handed the keys to a Porsche. Sorry I got your blood pressure so high.

Actually your point was that he "hasn't done squat".

Advertisement
Back