Steelers Decline Artie Burns 5th year option

Advertisement
Njoku has been decent. Dorsett hasn’t really gotten a chance.

But yes, for the most part our 1st rounders have underperformed.
Njoku will have his breakout year this year, if Dorsett had a healthy Luck he would have been solid there, hopefully he gets his chance in New England with guys leaving, Burns started off well then just went south and only the Giants would **** up a pick like Flowers.

Advertisement
He'll still play this season at 24 years old. While he had down moments, and his confidence seems to be all over the place, he's certainly got enough size and speed to be given another shot. Even if he has an average season at Pitt this year, he'll be 25 years old entering the 2020 season! That's like the average age for a rookie player coming out of Alabama.

Under the circumstances, I think Njuku has been better then decent. Nobody balls out as an offensive player for the Browns lately. **** their most popular offensive player for years was Joe Thomas!

As long as Artie doesn't look completely awful this year, he will get a second chance with another team but it will be his last chance. Wasn't his agent/mentor Melvin Bratton at one point? I heard Bratton has had some health issues in the past year..?.. (stroke maybe?.. I heard this from a guy who apparently knew him since HS that I sat at the hibachi table with at Japan Inn so take it with a grain of salt)....but if true, its no coincidence that Arties play started tailing off around the same time. Just a thought.

Advertisement
Our first rounders have been bad and our mid-rounders have been good.
Artie shouldn't have been a 1st rounder to begin with. He only had one good year in college and teams got fooled by the 40 yd dash yet again. He was always gonna be just average at best in the league.

He is with the Steelers for 2019 season. The 5th year option is for 2020 season.

Haha. I feel like people are just ignoring the two times this has be reiterated.

I was an Artie apologist for as long as I could be as a Steelers fan. He has momentary flashes but on a whole has been pretty mediocre. Here's to him getting back into the DB rotation and having a good 2019 though and putting the Steelers in a difficult but welcome contract situation with him.

Last edited:
Needs to move to fs. His biggest attributes is his speed and ball skills. Let him be a centerfielder.

Njoku will have his breakout year this year, if Dorsett had a healthy Luck he would have been solid there, hopefully he gets his chance in New England with guys leaving, Burns started off well then just went south and only the Giants would **** up a pick like Flowers.

flowers ufcked himself. romberg has said that he refuses to listen to anyone or accept any help

Advertisement
Flowers has been a bust but got better with the jags imo. Signed a contract for a 1 year deal for 4 million dollars with the redskins. Dorsett is revitalizing his career a bit with the patriots and has shown he is a sure handed receiver and well liked by brady and the patriots. Njoku is doing well in Cleveland , had 630 plus yards receiving last year and burns had a good year his first year with the Steelers and even in his second year had one of the lowest percentages of passes completed against him of any cb. He lost his spot last yes and his confidence went down. He needs to be less grabby in coverage and be more physical in the run game imo

Burns will catch on for another contract, Steelers just didn't want to pay him guaranteed money that comes with picking up the 5th year. In all fairness, he's not worth that kind of money. 5th year would've cost the Steelers 9.5 million for Burns.

Advertisement
We put out 3 complete bust in 3/4 first round picks the last 5 years. (Flowers, Burns, Dorsett) and Njoki is just solid TE. I find it hard to believe Njoku will be anything more with Odell and Landry getting majority of the targets.

We're not the NFL factory we claim to be anymore. Everyone loves to throw around draft stats around here because of the quantity but we got our repetition because of the quantity AND quality.

What have we done the last 10 years? A whole lot of last round picks and first round busts. Our development of players as a program has been our biggest weakest as a program since Coker was fired.

We have to many 4 star players who turn up a mediocre career here. We got school who can barely get 4 star players but when they do they become All-Americans.

Last edited:
He'll still play this season at 24 years old. While he had down moments, and his confidence seems to be all over the place, he's certainly got enough size and speed to be given another shot. Even if he has an average season at Pitt this year, he'll be 25 years old entering the 2020 season! That's like the average age for a rookie player coming out of Alabama.

Do you think he has the skill set and size to possibly get a look at safety?

Artie was a little bit of a reach getting drafted that high. His stock was higher than it should've been because of the success of Sam Shields and other undrafted or late rounds UM DB's at the time. Artie had a good year in 17 but struggled last season. It's no coincidence the Steelers whole defense struggled also. I see Artie coming back to have a decent season. Then being a 1st or 2nd wave FA signing somewhere else next March.

Advertisement
Back