Stats, analytics, and optimization when selecting systems and coaches

Andrew

All American
Administrator
When Miami hired Manny there was talk about him being into analytics. I tend the cringe when I hear that someone is a "data guy" or "into analytics" because it often means they enjoy reading stats and probably don't understand optimization. I don't work in football or sports for that matter, and I don't have a Ph.D. in Statistics, Data Science or Data Analytics but I generally understand optimization (especially within supply chain).

All of the above considered if I were UM I would use analytics to optimally select an offensive system and coach. By selecting either an offensive system or coach first you would be potentially introducing a massive constraint. You can't look at just stats when hiring a coach because that assumes all things are equal between UM and the targeted coaches school. It is likely that whoever Miami hires would have different advantages at Miami then their other school and you would want a model that doesn't select a coach that projects to do worse at Miami.

As I previously said, I don't have experience in sports management and the below is meant to be general. Someone that worked in football analytics for ten or twenty years would likely come up with something a lot better.

Here is how I would approach an optimization model

Goal: Maximize net points per game by selecting an offensive system and offensive coordinator

Constraint 1
The offensive staff must fit within the budget UM is willing to pay

Constraint 2
The model would need to consider the type of players UM has been landing over the last several years

The optimization model would need to select the system that generates the most net points per game while being affordable by Miami. Looking at the current roster and recruiting trends and comparing it to every other team in the FBS it would align us with the offensive that has the highest correlation to ours and one that we could afford to pay a staff. The current bias (mine included) is that Miami should be running a spread, but the model would need to solve for what variation. Without using some type of statistical approach it is just a guess on how well Yost, Long, or any other OC would do here. Using PPG, YPG should be variables and not deciding factors. Though at the very least we can be confident that anyone would probably do better than Enos.

Advertisement
So we mostly get lesser OL, we get smaller WR’s wth some speed. We get pass catching TE’s and we get top quality RB’s. We also get higher ranked QB’s so someone with a system who has been successful with lower ranked QB’s should get what they need.

How does this all translate in Androolytics?

Sounds too intellectual for our administration to digest. Can you break it down in layman's term so we can send it to Blake James?

Advertisement
Advertisement
When Miami hired Manny there was talk about him being into analytics. I tend the cringe when I hear that someone is a "data guy" or "into analytics" because it often means they enjoy reading stats and probably don't understand optimization. I don't work in football or sports for that matter, and I don't have a Ph.D. in Statistics, Data Science or Data Analytics but I generally understand optimization (especially within supply chain).

All of the above considered if I were UM I would use analytics to optimally select an offensive system and coach. By selecting either an offensive system or coach first you would be potentially introducing a massive constraint. You can't look at just stats when hiring a coach because that assumes all things are equal between UM and the targeted coaches school. It is likely that whoever Miami hires would have different advantages at Miami then their other school and you would want a model that doesn't select a coach that projects to do worse at Miami.

As I previously said, I don't have experience in sports management and the below is meant to be general. Someone that worked in football analytics for ten or twenty years would likely come up with something a lot better.

Here is how I would approach an optimization model

Goal: Maximize net points per game by selecting an offensive system and offensive coordinator

Constraint 1
The offensive staff must fit within the budget UM is willing to pay

Constraint 2
The model would need to consider the type of players UM has been landing over the last several years

The optimization model would need to select the system that generates the most net points per game while being affordable by Miami. Looking at the current roster and recruiting trends and comparing it to every other team in the FBS it would align us with the offensive that has the highest correlation to ours and one that we could afford to pay a staff. The current bias (mine included) is that Miami should be running a spread, but the model would need to solve for what variation. Without using some type of statistical approach it is just a guess on how well Yost, Long, or any other OC would do here. Using PPG, YPG should be variables and not deciding factors. Though at the very least we can be confident that anyone would probably do better than Enos.

This **** is unnecessary, we lost many games this year by 7 points or less, which means the talent to win games is ready here, just need the right General to lead the troops. And i dont give a damyum what oc comes in here, most of them need direction too, which is why they're not the headcoach. Its no way you can be a headcoach and sit back and allow enos already to just keep calling dumd ****. In the gaytor game, diaz, you're the headcoach, your o-line is getting kilt, instead of telling enos already, i dont want to see no more 5 and 7 step drops right now, you just stood their and let that moron keep calling those plays, coach diaz, as the head coach, u you need to grow up quick!

Advertisement
I get the argument that nobody wants this job because Manny might be gone next season but the reality is Miami went 6-7 because half the team was horrendous, the half that you would control coming in. If Miami's offense was even remotely decent then this team has a shot at 10+ wins. It's not like you're joining a team that is struggling on both sides. The defense is actually good, certainly good enough, given our schedule, to keep us in every single game with a god awful offense.

Taking a team with the 40th ranked offense and making them 10th is a lot harder than taking the 100th ranked offense and making them 40th. And if Miami has the 40th ranked offense they more than likely win 11+ games. They certainly have the talent to be a top 40 offense.

We have a system problem on offense, not a talent problem. I don't think that's hard to see.

Advertisement
"systems dont win championships"

They don't. That is literally the point of my post. You have to find the right system and coaches for the specific school. Alabama might give themselves a better chance at winning with system "A" and Miami might give themselves the best chance with system "B". The whole point in using a model would be to determine exactly what is the optimal system for your school.

Your model would essentially be establishing an upper and lower confidence level of a population.

Adjusting for the variables of any given coach is something I mentioned on Twitter last night and I agree with your premise.

Truth is, this situation really is an example of Occam’s Razor.

GleamingSpiffyFoal-size_restricted.gif

to this

tenor.gif

Advertisement
Back