State of the Program Post-Shannon vs Post-Golden

Both sucked but anybody with half a brain knows that we are in better shape now than then. I'm not even gonna refer to Shannon vs a Golden just now and then. Then we had talent left over on the roster, good talent, the problem was that there was no roster balance whatsoever. You either had a guy like Lamar Miller or a guy like Mike Williams who couldn't cut it at Wake. Now not only to do we have some great talent here and there, there is less dead wait in terms of balance of the roster. We are still short but we have a top 20 roster. Part of the big reason for this is that 2014 class. Thank God we fired Golden this year, cause I'd we had not, then we would have been in a bad spot the following year. The roster next year is good enough to win 10, with some breaks 11.

Advertisement
Both sucked but anybody with half a brain knows that we are in better shape now than then. I'm not even gonna refer to Shannon vs a Golden just now and then. Then we had talent left over on the roster, good talent, the problem was that there was no roster balance whatsoever. You either had a guy like Lamar Miller or a guy like Mike Williams who couldn't cut it at Wake. Now not only to do we have some great talent here and there, there is less dead wait in terms of balance of the roster. We are still short but we have a top 20 roster. Part of the big reason for this is that 2014 class. Thank God we fired Golden this year, cause I'd we had not, then we would have been in a bad spot the following year. The roster next year is good enough to win 10, with some breaks 11.

we have great talent here? who are you referring to? because 90% of the roster hasnt done sht in college.

if your talking about potential then i would counter that randy left golden with the #1 ranked recruiting class in the nation. and dont forget all the players that left early for the NFL bc they didnt buy into golden's bs. richt on the other hand was able to get everybody to come back except burns to stay.

only a handful? really? you want to count how many of those players are currently in the pros? compare that to what golden has left us. only artie and maybe corn stand out as nfl ready talents.

Yes, there was only a handful of NFL draft quality players on the roster in 2011. I'm not counting players that were freshmen or sophomores that hadn't contributed yet. If you want to do that, you're going to have to wait another four years and count up the players on the current roster who made it to the pros to make an even comparison.

I'll ask for the third time, what are you're expectations for the 2016 team versus the 2011 team?

i repeat, only a handful?? i believe we had SIX players drafted in 2012...compared to what maybe 2, 3 next year? (elder and coley look like the only for sure NFLers and thats bc they didnt leave this year...imagine if any of those EIGHT canes drafted in 2011 wouldve stayed)

expectations have nothing to do with it. golden himself lowered the bar, i knew we still had a talented team in 2011. golden is the one that made everyone believe that he needed time and blablabla. i dont feel any better about our team going into next year aside from the fact that golden wont be coaching

There's 85 scholarship players on a FBS football team. 6 or 7 is only a handful. Like I said, there were some legit good players but the overall talent level was poor. They had to start a bunch of players who had no business even being on the roster let alone starting or getting serious playing time. The team Mark Richt is inheriting has some depth issues at a couple of positions but the roster is not littered with guys who are borderline FBS talent. He will not have to go picking up Wake Forest castoffs to start at corner back nor have to rely on players the quality of Shayon Green or Tyrone Cornelious to start on his defense.

If you can truly say your expectations for the 2011 season were just as high as for the 2016 season, you're welcome to that opinion but you're in the severe minority.

6 or 7 players drafted is only a handful? Lmao wtf? cant take u serious. So what they got 85 players wut does that mean? Only about maybe a quarter are seniors. Did you forget that? How many players u expect to be drafted? 10, 15? lmao do you pay attention to the draft? 6 or 7 is alot gtfoh there are 100plus colleges and only 7 rounds. Are u being serious? 6 or 7 players drafted from one school isnt impressive? Lmao wut do u expect the whole sr class and walkons drafted also? For any school whether it be bama fsu etc 7 is ALOT of players to get drafted from one school lmao u gotta be trolling

either way even if you want to say 6 or 7 drafted is not alot (smh lmao)....how many will be drafted next year?? maybe two. so compare that 6/7 to 2/3, either way it points to shannon leaving more talent than golden...

smh still cant believe you are not impressed with 6/7 players drafted lol as if its a normal thing for a colleges to have that many players drafted. i respect your opinion but stop trolling man...all it does is invalidate your opinion

OK, you clearly don't understand the difference between a talented roster and a weak roster with a couple of good players. For every player that Shannon left that was good, there were ten that sucked. When your 85 man roster has 10 good players and 75 bad players, your team isn't good. It's simple numbers. The players he left behind besides a handful of productive guys, were weak. Even the best teams aren't 100% superstars but you need quality complimentary players to play their roles for a team to be good. The roster Shannon left had none. There were a few really good players and a whole lot of terrible players.

Yes, there was only a handful of NFL draft quality players on the roster in 2011. I'm not counting players that were freshmen or sophomores that hadn't contributed yet. If you want to do that, you're going to have to wait another four years and count up the players on the current roster who made it to the pros to make an even comparison.

I'll ask for the third time, what are you're expectations for the 2016 team versus the 2011 team?

i repeat, only a handful?? i believe we had SIX players drafted in 2012...compared to what maybe 2, 3 next year? (elder and coley look like the only for sure NFLers and thats bc they didnt leave this year...imagine if any of those EIGHT canes drafted in 2011 wouldve stayed)

expectations have nothing to do with it. golden himself lowered the bar, i knew we still had a talented team in 2011. golden is the one that made everyone believe that he needed time and blablabla. i dont feel any better about our team going into next year aside from the fact that golden wont be coaching

There's 85 scholarship players on a FBS football team. 6 or 7 is only a handful. Like I said, there were some legit good players but the overall talent level was poor. They had to start a bunch of players who had no business even being on the roster let alone starting or getting serious playing time. The team Mark Richt is inheriting has some depth issues at a couple of positions but the roster is not littered with guys who are borderline FBS talent. He will not have to go picking up Wake Forest castoffs to start at corner back nor have to rely on players the quality of Shayon Green or Tyrone Cornelious to start on his defense.

If you can truly say your expectations for the 2011 season were just as high as for the 2016 season, you're welcome to that opinion but you're in the severe minority.

6 or 7 players drafted is only a handful? Lmao wtf? cant take u serious. So what they got 85 players wut does that mean? Only about maybe a quarter are seniors. Did you forget that? How many players u expect to be drafted? 10, 15? lmao do you pay attention to the draft? 6 or 7 is alot gtfoh there are 100plus colleges and only 7 rounds. Are u being serious? 6 or 7 players drafted from one school isnt impressive? Lmao wut do u expect the whole sr class and walkons drafted also? For any school whether it be bama fsu etc 7 is ALOT of players to get drafted from one school lmao u gotta be trolling

either way even if you want to say 6 or 7 drafted is not alot (smh lmao)....how many will be drafted next year?? maybe two. so compare that 6/7 to 2/3, either way it points to shannon leaving more talent than golden...

smh still cant believe you are not impressed with 6/7 players drafted lol as if its a normal thing for a colleges to have that many players drafted. i respect your opinion but stop trolling man...all it does is invalidate your opinion

OK, you clearly don't understand the difference between a talented roster and a weak roster with a couple of good players. For every player that Shannon left that was good, there were ten that sucked. When your 85 man roster has 10 good players and 75 bad players, your team isn't good. It's simple numbers. The players he left behind besides a handful of productive guys, were weak. Even the best teams aren't 100% superstars but you need quality complimentary players to play their roles for a team to be good. The roster Shannon left had none. There were a few really good players and a whole lot of terrible players.

dude foh you just finished telling me that 6 players drafted followed by 8 the next year is not impressive.
thats 14 players drafted from two of shannon's 3 recruiting classes. i mean, what more do you expect?
then he giftwrapped duke, chickillo, dorsett for golden. not to mention hurns. so wtf are you talking about?

in other words shannon gave golden 14 NFL players for his first two years, not including the ones that came after (dorsett/hurns/duke/chick/etc). but according to you he left golden "a whole lot of terrible players'" lmao i mean 14 NFLers for Golden's first two years. Thats some pretty good talent he left. The rest is on Golden. Randy only had 3 recruiting classes, 14 NFLers from his first two, thats more than 60% of a team's starters, but yet here you are unimpressed. "Only 10 good players" did you not read where I said 6 followed by 8? thats 14 not counting not counting hurns class or duke/chick etc. not only are you trolling you also appear to be biased and unreasonable.

remember, only about 220 something players total get drafted each year. 85players per team, 100plus teams, thats 8500 players. about 2% of the players get drafted each year. even if a player doesnt get drafted doesnt mean he was garbage in college. for 14 players in two years to get drafted from 1 school means that there was definitely talent, i dont know what the **** you are talking about

Advertisement
8 players were drafted following the 2011 season: Vernon, Spence, Miller, Benjamin, Streeter, and Washington. After that was a significant drop-off. Only 2 players drafted after 2012: Brandon McGee and Mike James and only three in 2013 Linder, O'Donnell (transfer) and Henderson. None of those players was drafted before the third round. So yes, there were a handful of really good players (most of whom graduated or left early after one season) and a whole lot of not really good players.

8 players were drafted following the 2011 season: Vernon, Spence, Miller, Benjamin, Streeter, and Washington. After that was a significant drop-off. Only 2 players drafted after 2012: Brandon McGee and Mike James and only three in 2013 Linder, O'Donnell (transfer) and Henderson. None of those players was drafted before the third round. So yes, there were a handful of really good players (most of whom graduated or left early after one season) and a whole lot of not really good players.

you are pointing to only one year to say 'there was no talent' and conveniently downplay the other years lmao you are bringing up players who left more than 3 years after Randy. Those guys were freshmen randys last year. look how far you need to reach to make your point.

you want to throw it in? fine, thats 16 players in 3 years....average of more than 5 per year.
now are you going to still sit there and tell me that averaging more than 5 draft picks a year is not impressive?

for gods sake, either way you put it RANDY LEFT GOLDEN WITH 14 PLUS NFLERS HIS FOR HIS FIRST TWO YEARS! there is no way to spin that into "he left golden no talent, just alot of terrible players"

and foh who cares when they were drafted, being drafted period is an accomplishment. i just told you about 2% of players get drafted. man you are hard to please. really you are just biased so no matter what evidence i bring up your still gonna stick to your script.

and either way you still havent explained how what golden left is better. all you are doing is downplaying randys players

Last edited:
Shannon left a handful of upperclassmen that could hardly produce at UM. They were here one year then they ALL jumped to the NFL. Many of them as juniors. I remember some NFL people saying how many of these kids had no business declaring for the NFL early, yet they did anyway. Now, that leads us to the underclassmen he left on the roster.... You want to tell me about THAT talent? It was non-existent. There's a reason Golden had straight up garbage in the secondary in 2012. There's a reason everyone in the secondary now has started from day one. There was NO talent left there. There was even LESS left on the D-line. The recruiting in 2009 and 2010, and heading into the 2011 class, was straight up junk. Rankings be damned, there was no talent left after the 2008 class left. None.
Shannon had our roster looking like straight garbage.

I would say Golden left us in better shape

Shannon left a tone of NFL talent, I wouldn't call it gargage

Completely agree. Some people think I was a golden "slurper" because I gave him enough time to have first class graduate. I wasn't a huge golden guy but I did ONLY BECAUSE of how terrible a coach Shannon was(and because unless inheriting a championship team I think most should graduate their first class). Shannon left this program worse than its ever been not even talking about Shapiro. Golden was left with conference USA talent. There were reports that he didn't even follow up with conditioning throughout the year (golden said it multiple times with how out of shape the team was and he said his temple team was in better condition). His recruiting classes turned out to be terrible and the majority of the NFL players he did manage to recruit never did anything respectable on campus and managed to succeed DESPITE Shannon, not because of him . 48-0 against Virginia at the farewell game in the orange bowl, whether true or not there was even reports that he sabotaged the incoming class golden had because he knew he was on the way out. He honestly single handedly killed this program, I wish nothing but the worst for him.

Did you forget Al says what ever he feels like to place blame on someone else? I'm not saying I don't believe some of it, but this is Al we're talking about. He was making excuses for his failures before he even started.

Funny you say players succeeded despite Shannon, because our players succeeded despite Golden. You're an idiot if you believe our downfall is all on Shannon. He had his part, but your Golden support is blinding you. Maybe you should take another look at how the fanbase felt about each coach at the end of their tenure. I think people might have actually killed someone if Golden stayed another year.

In the end, Shannon was not a good coach, but he at least had a decent defense. Golden sucked at everything.

I never said golden was a good coach. I said I gave him the chance to graduate his first recruiting class before deciding on a change. Like most organizations due as it eliminates all excuses and was easy to judge how bad he was.

I'm an idiot for thinking our downfall is on Shannon? Lmao. I never said it was 100% on Shannon however YOURE AN IDIOT if you think this team was in better shape when Shannon left

Coker Shannon and golden all take equal blame in this dumpster fire. The question was simply who left the program in better condition. You apparently lack the ability to read and seem to interpret me as a golden supporter. I am not and was not. The question was not which coach the fan boards hated more, it was who left the program in better condition. Golden is the obvious answer.

Advertisement
When we fired Shannon he had Teddy Bridgewater in his pocket and his favorite receiver. We fired Shannon and lost a future NFL quarterback. Meanwhile, we got Kaaya from Golden/Coley and Brad can't seem to win the big game yet. Also, when we fired Shannon almost all of the class of 2008 left early in protest, including Olivier Vernon and others. And, if you really want to be fair, and none of you do it seems, Randy began his tenure with a beaten Kyle and no backup. Randy left Golden with a respectable amount of talent and Al didn't even try to connect with it because these were inner city guys to him that didn't match his PSU South plan. He left the local talent leave. It sent a bad message that doomed his time at UM.

randy was part of that mess he created... and he didn't leave much for Al either. Al left us with some good players, and 2 stud QBs.. richt can certainly build on that.. this is not a a full rebuild at this point.

Only on Canesinsight having 14 players drafted in 2 years is not impressive lmao

and in the same breath, a roster where 90% of the players havent even done sht in college is considered more talented.

Last edited:
Shannon left a handful of upperclassmen that could hardly produce at UM. They were here one year then they ALL jumped to the NFL. Many of them as juniors. I remember some NFL people saying how many of these kids had no business declaring for the NFL early, yet they did anyway. Now, that leads us to the underclassmen he left on the roster.... You want to tell me about THAT talent? It was non-existent. There's a reason Golden had straight up garbage in the secondary in 2012. There's a reason everyone in the secondary now has started from day one. There was NO talent left there. There was even LESS left on the D-line. The recruiting in 2009 and 2010, and heading into the 2011 class, was straight up junk. Rankings be damned, there was no talent left after the 2008 class left. None.
Shannon left a tone of NFL talent, I wouldn't call it gargage

Completely agree. Some people think I was a golden "slurper" because I gave him enough time to have first class graduate. I wasn't a huge golden guy but I did ONLY BECAUSE of how terrible a coach Shannon was(and because unless inheriting a championship team I think most should graduate their first class). Shannon left this program worse than its ever been not even talking about Shapiro. Golden was left with conference USA talent. There were reports that he didn't even follow up with conditioning throughout the year (golden said it multiple times with how out of shape the team was and he said his temple team was in better condition). His recruiting classes turned out to be terrible and the majority of the NFL players he did manage to recruit never did anything respectable on campus and managed to succeed DESPITE Shannon, not because of him . 48-0 against Virginia at the farewell game in the orange bowl, whether true or not there was even reports that he sabotaged the incoming class golden had because he knew he was on the way out. He honestly single handedly killed this program, I wish nothing but the worst for him.

Did you forget Al says what ever he feels like to place blame on someone else? I'm not saying I don't believe some of it, but this is Al we're talking about. He was making excuses for his failures before he even started.

Funny you say players succeeded despite Shannon, because our players succeeded despite Golden. You're an idiot if you believe our downfall is all on Shannon. He had his part, but your Golden support is blinding you. Maybe you should take another look at how the fanbase felt about each coach at the end of their tenure. I think people might have actually killed someone if Golden stayed another year.

In the end, Shannon was not a good coach, but he at least had a decent defense. Golden sucked at everything.

I never said golden was a good coach. I said I gave him the chance to graduate his first recruiting class before deciding on a change. Like most organizations due as it eliminates all excuses and was easy to judge how bad he was.

I'm an idiot for thinking our downfall is on Shannon? Lmao. I never said it was 100% on Shannon however YOURE AN IDIOT if you think this team was in better shape when Shannon left

Coker Shannon and golden all take equal blame in this dumpster fire. The question was simply who left the program in better condition. You apparently lack the ability to read and seem to interpret me as a golden supporter. I am not and was not. The question was not which coach the fan boards hated more, it was who left the program in better condition. Golden is the obvious answer.

I said you're an idiot for thinking Shannon is our downfall because you said, and i quote, "He honestly single handedly killed this program, I wish nothing but the worst for him." That sounds a whole lot like saying Shannon is the reason for our downfall when you say he single handedly killed it, but I guess my reading comprehension is lacking.....

Furthermore, I guess I'm the idiot for saying Shannon left a better team, except, I NEVER SAID THAT! I said Shannon was a better coach that golden, because at least his teams were decent at something. You want to talk about reading comprehension while failing miserably at it.

As far as the condition the program was left in, shannons biggest failure was leaving no depth, but he left talent. If you were to ask me today if the program is in better shape, I might say golden, but not by as much as some think. Golden beats Shannon in dline, dbs, and qbs left behind. He also left us with some solid young players. Shannon left a better veteran group and had better rbs imo. Everything else was a wash, maybe even give Shannon a bump for leaving a better oline.

Keep in mind a lot of the guys people are hyping that golden has left is based on potential, not actual results, which means if they don't reach the potential, we will view them the same way as shannons guys when they are done.

we have great talent here? who are you referring to? because 90% of the roster hasnt done sht in college.

if your talking about potential then i would counter that randy left golden with the #1 ranked recruiting class in the nation. and dont forget all the players that left early for the NFL bc they didnt buy into golden's bs. richt on the other hand was able to get everybody to come back except burns to stay.

I said some great talent. Also this is a thread where we won't find out who is right until the draft next year and so forth, as my assessment of the talent is based off what I have seen with my own eyes and is obviously my opinion, although I am very confident in my assessment. When Golden took over we already had a good idea what most of the talent from that 08 class was, where as a majority of the contributors next year will only be going into their 3rd year not their 4th year. Also a bunch of those players that left early left after Golden's first year and they aren't the same as the kids that stayed this year. Like I said at this point any analysis of this topic is gonna be incomplete as its just too early too tell, and everything is based on opinion, but I am very confident that when the smoke clears, I and others that agree with me will be right.

Advertisement

I said you're an idiot for thinking Shannon is our downfall because you said, and i quote, "He honestly single handedly killed this program, I wish nothing but the worst for him." That sounds a whole lot like saying Shannon is the reason for our downfall when you say he single handedly killed it, but I guess my reading comprehension is lacking.....

Furthermore, I guess I'm the idiot for saying Shannon left a better team, except, I NEVER SAID THAT! I said Shannon was a better coach that golden, because at least his teams were decent at something. You want to talk about reading comprehension while failing miserably at it.

As far as the condition the program was left in, shannons biggest failure was leaving no depth, but he left talent. If you were to ask me today if the program is in better shape, I might say golden, but not by as much as some think. Golden beats Shannon in dline, dbs, and qbs left behind. He also left us with some solid young players. Shannon left a better veteran group and had better rbs imo. Everything else was a wash, maybe even give Shannon a bump for leaving a better oline.

Keep in mind a lot of the guys people are hyping that golden has left is based on potential, not actual results, which means if they don't reach the potential, we will view them the same way as shannons guys when they are done.

You caught me I hate Shannon. Maybe that's not fair though becuase Shannon was here before golden so when I say Shannon single handedly killed the program I was implying we were already stuck in mediocrity before golden and golden wasn't good enough to to bring us out of it.

I said some great talent. Also this is a thread where we won't find out who is right until the draft next year and so forth, as my assessment of the talent is based off what I have seen with my own eyes and is obviously my opinion, although I am very confident in my assessment. When Golden took over we already had a good idea what most of the talent from that 08 class was, where as a majority of the contributors next year will only be going into their 3rd year not their 4th year. Also a bunch of those players that left early left after Golden's first year and they aren't the same as the kids that stayed this year. Like I said at this point any analysis of this topic is gonna be incomplete as its just too early too tell, and everything is based on opinion, but I am very confident that when the smoke clears, I and others that agree with me will be right.

what have you seen with your own eyes? us getting our asses handed to us year in year out? if were being objective than the evidence points to us lacking in talent right now as compared to what shannon left us.

your right, we have to wait till the draft next year etc....but AS OF NOW, shannon clearly left more talent. so how do you jump to conclusion that golden left us with more talent? the only way to come to that conclusion is if your biased. like i told the other guy, golden's first two years we had 8 and 6 players drafted for a total of 14 in two years. how many will we have next year? maybe 2, 3? corn, stacy, maybe muhammad?? i highly doubt we will approach anywhere near 14 players drafted the next 2 years.

Only on Canesinsight having 14 players drafted in 2 years is not impressive lmao

and in the same breath, a roster where 90% of the players havent even done sht in college is considered more talented.

Yes but 8 of those players left the year Shannon was fired, 7 of which had already been in the program for 4 years. This isn't a discussion on who had more talent over his tenure at Miami, but rather who left the program in better shape. I already stated that Shannon left the program with great individual talent here and there, but it was the balance and depth that was the problem.

Advertisement

what have you seen with your own eyes? us getting our asses handed to us year in year out? if were being objective than the evidence points to us lacking in talent right now as compared to what shannon left us.

your right, we have to wait till the draft next year etc....but AS OF NOW, shannon clearly left more talent. so how do you jump to conclusion that golden left us with more talent? the only way to come to that conclusion is if your biased. like i told the other guy, golden's first two years we had 8 and 6 players drafted for a total of 14 in two years. how many will we have next year? maybe 2, 3? corn, stacy, maybe muhammad?? i highly doubt we will approach anywhere near 14 players drafted the next 2 years.

Young talent showing tons of potential even though they were being improperly used.

Yes but 8 of those players left the year Shannon was fired, 7 of which had already been in the program for 4 years. This isn't a discussion on who had more talent over his tenure at Miami, but rather who left the program in better shape. I already stated that Shannon left the program with great individual talent here and there, but it was the balance and depth that was the problem.

i hit you with facts and you hit me with the vague "more balance and depth"...the numbers speak for themselves...throw out the year with the 8, next year we had 6 drafted.

and thats golden's fault that all those players left early, he pushed them out. if coley, muhammad, and elder left this year, we probably wont even have a single draft pick next year.

we are definitley in worst shape, golden drove expectations through the ground. look how much it took for him to get fired. when randy was fired we still had expectations, hence why he got fired. we have been a joke of a program for goldens entire tenure

if your talking about potential then i would counter that randy left golden with the [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] ranked recruiting class in the nation. and dont forget all the players that left early for the NFL bc they didnt buy into golden's bs. richt on the other hand was able to get everybody to come back except burns to stay.

Young talent showing tons of potential even though they were being improperly used.

lmao if you want to talk about "potential" then lets talk about randys #1 recruiting class in the nation. that one class had more "talent" potential-wise than anythng golden has ever had.

these guys have done absolutely nothing in college but you are basing your judgement off potential. if you say that then randy left golden with tons of potential.

Advertisement
Back