State of the Program Post-Shannon vs Post-Golden

Completely agree. Some people think I was a golden "slurper" because I gave him enough time to have first class graduate. I wasn't a huge golden guy but I did ONLY BECAUSE of how terrible a coach Shannon was(and because unless inheriting a championship team I think most should graduate their first class). Shannon left this program worse than its ever been not even talking about Shapiro. Golden was left with conference USA talent. There were reports that he didn't even follow up with conditioning throughout the year (golden said it multiple times with how out of shape the team was and he said his temple team was in better condition). His recruiting classes turned out to be terrible and the majority of the NFL players he did manage to recruit never did anything respectable on campus and managed to succeed DESPITE Shannon, not because of him . 48-0 against Virginia at the farewell game in the orange bowl, whether true or not there was even reports that he sabotaged the incoming class golden had because he knew he was on the way out. He honestly single handedly killed this program, I wish nothing but the worst for him.

Did you forget Al says what ever he feels like to place blame on someone else? I'm not saying I don't believe some of it, but this is Al we're talking about. He was making excuses for his failures before he even started.

Funny you say players succeeded despite Shannon, because our players succeeded despite Golden. You're an idiot if you believe our downfall is all on Shannon. He had his part, but your Golden support is blinding you. Maybe you should take another look at how the fanbase felt about each coach at the end of their tenure. I think people might have actually killed someone if Golden stayed another year.

In the end, Shannon was not a good coach, but he at least had a decent defense. Golden sucked at everything.

I never said golden was a good coach. I said I gave him the chance to graduate his first recruiting class before deciding on a change. Like most organizations due as it eliminates all excuses and was easy to judge how bad he was.

I'm an idiot for thinking our downfall is on Shannon? Lmao. I never said it was 100% on Shannon however YOURE AN IDIOT if you think this team was in better shape when Shannon left

Coker Shannon and golden all take equal blame in this dumpster fire. The question was simply who left the program in better condition. You apparently lack the ability to read and seem to interpret me as a golden supporter. I am not and was not. The question was not which coach the fan boards hated more, it was who left the program in better condition. Golden is the obvious answer.

I said you're an idiot for thinking Shannon is our downfall because you said, and i quote, "He honestly single handedly killed this program, I wish nothing but the worst for him." That sounds a whole lot like saying Shannon is the reason for our downfall when you say he single handedly killed it, but I guess my reading comprehension is lacking.....

Furthermore, I guess I'm the idiot for saying Shannon left a better team, except, I NEVER SAID THAT! I said Shannon was a better coach that golden, because at least his teams were decent at something. You want to talk about reading comprehension while failing miserably at it.

As far as the condition the program was left in, shannons biggest failure was leaving no depth, but he left talent. If you were to ask me today if the program is in better shape, I might say golden, but not by as much as some think. Golden beats Shannon in dline, dbs, and qbs left behind. He also left us with some solid young players. Shannon left a better veteran group and had better rbs imo. Everything else was a wash, maybe even give Shannon a bump for leaving a better oline.

Keep in mind a lot of the guys people are hyping that golden has left is based on potential, not actual results, which means if they don't reach the potential, we will view them the same way as shannons guys when they are done.

You caught me I hate Shannon. Maybe that's not fair though becuase Shannon was here before golden so when I say Shannon single handedly killed the program I was implying we were already stuck in mediocrity before golden and golden wasn't good enough to to bring us out of it.
Fair enough.

Advertisement
Golden inherited 4 NFL backs (Miller,Storm, MJ and Duke committed to RS). And all produced here. There isnt 4 nfl backs on our roster. Golden inherited 5 NFL wideouts (TB, Byrd, Streeter, Hurns, Dorsett committed to RS) and they all produced here however Al had Byrd in the dog house. There isnt 5 nfl wideouts on the roster. As of now only 1. RS left Al with 3NFL tight ends (Ford, Cleveland, Clive). Al was left countless nfl linemen and even misused an all conference lineman. Al was left countless nfl dlinemen.

For thise of you talking about Vernon was a bust, stop it dude was rotating and still giving us 6-7 sacks the year before he was suspended. Our 2010 defense was among yhe nations best in sacks in tfls in 2010. I mean Fortson didn't live up to his 5 star billing but he still gave us like 4 sacks and 13 tfls in 2010. When was the last time we got that production from a DT?

Kaaya is better at qb but Harris and Morris are 2 and 3 on the all time list. And considering what Teddy did we would of had a 3 and done qb.

Man Al was living off RS players his entire tenure. The majority of the llayers drafted last year either committed or played for RS. I dont see that being the case. I even think by next year you'll see a revamp team. Funny thing is a lot of the players on this ymteam RS didn't want like Crawford and Hamilton. And consider the attrition, how can anyone say we're in better position?

There was way more talent on 2011 squad then now. RS left more talent. Some of yall are just going by rankings but those kids haven't done anything. I mean that 2011 class was beating tge acc champions handily as freshmen and sophmores from 08-09 thats why they were a disappointment. These kids have beaten no one.

Richt has his work cut out for him but he'll get it right. But overall poor conditioning, strength and speed of the team is horrible.

Golden inherited 4 NFL backs (Miller,Storm, MJ and Duke committed to RS). And all produced here. There isnt 4 nfl backs on our roster. Golden inherited 5 NFL wideouts (TB, Byrd, Streeter, Hurns, Dorsett committed to RS) and they all produced here however Al had Byrd in the dog house. There isnt 5 nfl wideouts on the roster. As of now only 1. RS left Al with 3NFL tight ends (Ford, Cleveland, Clive). Al was left countless nfl linemen and even misused an all conference lineman. Al was left countless nfl dlinemen.

For thise of you talking about Vernon was a bust, stop it dude was rotating and still giving us 6-7 sacks the year before he was suspended. Our 2010 defense was among yhe nations best in sacks in tfls in 2010. I mean Fortson didn't live up to his 5 star billing but he still gave us like 4 sacks and 13 tfls in 2010. When was the last time we got that production from a DT?

Kaaya is better at qb but Harris and Morris are 2 and 3 on the all time list. And considering what Teddy did we would of had a 3 and done qb.

Man Al was living off RS players his entire tenure. The majority of the llayers drafted last year either committed or played for RS. I dont see that being the case. I even think by next year you'll see a revamp team. Funny thing is a lot of the players on this ymteam RS didn't want like Crawford and Hamilton. And consider the attrition, how can anyone say we're in better position?

There was way more talent on 2011 squad then now. RS left more talent. Some of yall are just going by rankings but those kids haven't done anything. I mean that 2011 class was beating tge acc champions handily as freshmen and sophmores from 08-09 thats why they were a disappointment. These kids have beaten no one.

Richt has his work cut out for him but he'll get it right. But overall poor conditioning, strength and speed of the team is horrible.

nailed it

Advertisement

Wow. Never actually sat down and thought about the individual players, just been going off of my impressions of those days.

Wow. Never actually sat down and thought about the individual players, just been going off of my impressions of those days.

That's the problem. Everyone loses their mind as soon as they hear Randy Shannon and forget what was reality.

Yea RS failed as a HC (UM should never be a first time gig) but he left talent. He had misses but he found so many good players. Look at that 2010 class our fans bashed him for signing Clive, Hurns and Morris but looking back at who was available he pulled the top players at qb, TE and wr in the state. He left talent but he underachieved which is why he was fired. Some was predicting BCS championship in 2010 for a reason. This team hasn't shown that potential yet. Richt will get it right but not in 2016. Al left massive holes. And although his players may have been ranked high, a lot of them were camp warriors in hs. We need ball players.

Advertisement

This reads like a slanted view.

Duke, Hurns and Clive were babies. None of them had done anything prior to 2011. Outside of Duke, the others had to really work to become the players they ultimately became.

Randy left an almost inconceivable situation at DL and DB.

You then go ahead and downplay the QB situation. "Kaaya is kinda sorta better than the dudes Randy had, but those other dudes put up numbers!" Ha! Can't downplay a star college QB for two dudes that threw the ball around on teams that didn't run effectively.

There was more talent on 2011 than there is now? If we go by YOUR logic, we have to wait a couple years and count all the NFL players that are on the current roster. There are probably 6 DL alone. 3+ LBs. 4+ DBs. 1 college STAR QB. Multiple OL. At least a few WRs. Better than that, a lot of those players are not incoming Frosh, but instead have starts under their belts.

The one thing I think you got right is Golden obviously got very little out of whatever talent he did have. 10 wins should be the bar next year.

Duke, Hurns and Clive were babies. None of them had done anything prior to 2011. Outside of Duke, the others had to really work to become the players they ultimately became.

You then go ahead and downplay the QB situation. "Kaaya is kinda sorta better than the dudes Randy had, but those other dudes put up numbers!" Ha! Can't downplay a star college QB for two dudes that threw the ball around on teams that didn't run effectively.

There was more talent on 2011 than there is now? If we go by YOUR logic, we have to wait a couple years and count all the NFL players that are on the current roster. There are probably 6 DL alone. 3+ LBs. 4+ DBs. 1 college STAR QB. Multiple OL. At least a few WRs. Better than that, a lot of those players are not incoming Frosh, but instead have starts under their belts.

The one thing I think you got right is Golden obviously got very little out of whatever talent he did have. 10 wins should be the bar next year.

I am not sure about more talent in 2011 but to say that Randy left a bunch of scrubs is not true. he left plenty of talent, enough to win the ACC. In 2011 there weren't much of a difference between Miami and FSU. By 2013 there was an ocean between the two teams in terms of talent. Golden is the worst thing that happened to the canes

The only way to know for sure is to wait until every current player on the roster and every incoming freshman has exhausted his eligibility and see how many of them turn out to be good players. The problem with what Randy left wasn't that there were no good players, it was that there were some good players and a whole bunch of bad players. You were either an NFL prospect or a guy who probably shouldn't have a football scholarship at Miami.

Advertisement

I am not sure about more talent in 2011 but to say that Randy left a bunch of scrubs is not true. he left plenty of talent, enough to win the ACC. In 2011 there weren't much of a difference between Miami and FSU. By 2013 there was an ocean between the two teams in terms of talent. Golden is the worst thing that happened to the canes

Randy left some talent. I believe this roster has more talent. To say that, by 2013, there was an ocean between Miami and FSU speaks to Randy's recruiting in the 2009, 2010 and 2011 (part Randy, part Golden) years, no?

I thought we were debating a comparison of talent between 2011 and 2016 - the topic of this thread. I'm not sure why all of these other topics are being brought in. No one is challenging the fact that Golden sucked and got even LESS out of his talent than Randy probably did.

The reality is that regardless of who left us with a better cupboard, Richt is so much better a coach than Golden that it'll seem like Golden left us with more talent because Richt will coach up the players already on roster and the incoming recruits; so the actual production will be far more pronounced with Richt taking over Golden, than Golden taking over Shannon.

Advertisement
I’m not talking about Golden vs Richt or anything like that. Strictly the state of the program, depth wise, conditioning, upcoming recruiting class, etc.

State of the program
After Shannon = NCAA investigation

Advantage Golden

Upcoming recruiting class
Shannon had 5-8 guys committed
Golden had 12-15 committed

Advantage Golden

Everything else can be debated.

Randy left some talent. I believe this roster has more talent. To say that, by 2013, there was an ocean between Miami and FSU speaks to Randy's recruiting in the 2009, 2010 and 2011 (part Randy, part Golden) years, no?

I thought we were debating a comparison of talent between 2011 and 2016 - the topic of this thread. I'm not sure why all of these other topics are being brought in. No one is challenging the fact that Golden sucked and got even LESS out of his talent than Randy probably did.

This. Also no point to argue this til after the next couple of years but I agree we are in better shape. The situation at DB and DL was horrendous. I said it wasn't the individual talent that was the issue it was the balance and depth. Also love how Kaaya is only a little bit better and somehow we can do a bunch ifs and buts regrading Teddy.

Who said Kaaya was a liitle bit better? I said he's better but Harris and Morris was talented enough to win. My argument wasn't slanted. RS left Al with a lot of talent.

if you're going to include recruits committed to RS then you must do the same for AG. Richt will inherit shaq, Bruce, Jack, Mullins, homer, Byrd, etc.

Some of those guys will end up NFL players down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Back