Stat comparison with last year

You can't score garbage time points if the game is close. Garbage time points would be scoring a touchdown late in the fourth quarter when you already have a double digit lead. They could have scored late in the game against Pitt to make the score look look more impressive but they took a knee inside the 10 yard line and ran out the clock. I would consider pretty much the entire second half of the Florida State game to be garbage time.
That exactly my point. Garbage time is not just in the closing minutes. It could be the entire forth quarter if the game is already out of hand. People have looked at the final score and said we dominated, it was never in doubt, yet it was a single score game approaching the forth quarter. The fact we've never gotten into garbage time (except for FSU) is an other indication we didn't dominate.

Advertisement
History says this is probably wrong. Keep in mind that Tyree St. Louis has started NFL games this year, Kc McDermott has played and Ty Gauthier is one call away on a practice squad.

Dude, each guy you mentioned performed at a level far above what this current group has. Its not even close.

Dude, each guy you mentioned performed at a level far above what this current group has. Its not even close.

We weren't praising those guys during the 4-game losing streak in 2016. They struggled brutally. Somebody even made a GIF of Kc McDermott doing a split in pass pro.

We weren't praising those guys during the 4-game losing streak in 2016. They struggled brutally. Somebody even made a GIF of Kc McDermott doing a split in pass pro.

Their play during the 4 game streak in '16 was still 100% better than what has been put on tape the last 3 games. Especially along the interior. Zero pt Zero chance Scaife ever plays a down of football in the NFL as a G

Their play during the 4 game streak in '16 was still 100% better than what has been put on tape the last 3 games. Especially along the interior. Zero pt Zero chance Scaife ever plays a down of football in the NFL as a G

Scaife is not a guard. Been saying that since the beginning. College T and pro C if he gets there.

I disagree on the OL play during that ‘16 losing streak. They were terrible. Richt had to change the offense to get the ball out quicker and the team immediately went on a run.

Advertisement
That exactly my point. Garbage time is not just in the closing minutes. It could be the entire forth quarter if the game is already out of hand. People have looked at the final score and said we dominated, it was never in doubt, yet it was a single score game approaching the forth quarter. The fact we've never gotten into garbage time (except for FSU) is an other indication we didn't dominate.
They felt comfortable enough with their leads to play reserves for a majority of the fourth quarter in the first three games. I don’t think you need to be up by 40 to give your backup players some game reps.

They felt comfortable enough with their leads to play reserves for a majority of the fourth quarter in the first three games. I don’t think you need to be up by 40 to give your backup players some game reps.
Most of the reserves that played are guys in the two deep that they are hoping are replacements for starters. I don't remember Rivers get much burn. I don't think Flagg played until Clemson. And TVD looked really good making that hand off at the end of FSU.

At this point in the schedule you would think the development guys would have gotten some reps.

Most of the reserves that played are guys in the two deep that they are hoping are replacements for starters. I don't remember Rivers get much burn. I don't think Flagg played until Clemson. And TVD looked really good making that hand off at the end of FSU.

At this point in the schedule you would think the development guys would have gotten some reps.
Unfortunately, for most FBS teams, you don’t get many chances to play guys outside of the two deep. Especially this season with very few OOC cupcake games. I mean it would be nice to be Clemson and beat Georgia Tech by 70 and get a chance to empty your bench but 99% of the teams In college football aren’t good enough to crush conference opponents by that much. Had they been able to keep the original schedule they had a game against FCS Wagner that could have gotten some of the guys at the end of the bench some playing time but that game went out the window with Covid

Advertisement
Unfortunately, for most FBS teams, you don’t get many chances to play guys outside of the two deep. Especially this season with very few OOC cupcake games. I mean it would be nice to be Clemson and beat Georgia Tech by 70 and get a chance to empty your bench but 99% of the teams In college football aren’t good enough to crush conference opponents by that much. Had they been able to keep the original schedule they had a game against FCS Wagner that could have gotten some of the guys at the end of the bench some playing time but that game went out the window with Covid
Unfortunately, we don't "dominate" teams as much as we used to or as much as other non-Clemson teams. Of our 4 conference wins, we played 3 teams tied for last place and 1 tied for next to last place. And we only dominated FSU.

For us, I guess it takes a Wagner or Bethune Cookman.

Unfortunately, we don't "dominate" teams as much as we used to or as much as other non-Clemson teams. Of our 4 conference wins, we played 3 teams tied for last place and 1 tied for next to last place. And we only dominated FSU.

For us, I guess it takes a Wagner or Bethune Cookman.
We certainly don’t dominate teams like we did when we were winning national championships but even then, it’s not like we were emptying the bench every week either. Look at the 2001 team. Only two quarterbacks attempted a pass the entire season. Derrick Crudup attempted 22 passes. Willis McGahee and Frank Gore got 67 and 62 total carries respectively. The second team WRs caught 19 and 25 passes. The only 3rd team receiver that played at all was Geathers who caught 9 passes. They were blowing guys out but it’s not like they were going past the two deep often, if at all.

Tyree St. Louis wasn't nearly as bad as some of the slop we've had here in the past two years. He was better than Jarrid WIlliams, and you don't see too many people complaining about him.

Advertisement

Even during our championship years, there weren’t a ton of garbage minutes where reserves were playing significant minutes. You people engage in magical thinking...yet you expect this squad, with much less talent, to meet a standard which teams with multiple first rounders didn’t meet. At least know what you’re talking about.

Defense needs to stop playing so much **** zone.....2nd and 3rd string QBs light us up and WRs get record numbers.

Offense
On 3rd and 7...stop with the dadgum fly/fade routs down the sideline when the DBs are blanketing our WRs. Just move the chains.l and throw a shorter, higher % pass. That deep ball crap reminds of Rosier and Richt...unnecessary shots downfield that RARELY produced. INTERMEDIATE PSSSING GAME PEASE.

Advertisement
It’s literally deja vu all over again.
Rell Manure isn't it. We will lose probably 3 more games. Than 6-4 will give him room and he will say next year with spring, and summer workouts, and a real fall camp.. blah blah blah.. another song and dance. I'm not gonna get mad though. We all see it and it's too funny that he doesn't see the ship leaking.

Rell Manure isn't it. We will lose probably 3 more games. Than 6-4 will give him room and he will say next year with spring, and summer workouts, and a real fall camp.. blah blah blah.. another song and dance. I'm not gonna get mad though. We all see it and it's too funny that he doesn't see the ship leaking.

Seriously?

6-4 gets him a ton of heat. Trust me on that.

Plus, going to play at least 11-12 games, right?

Seriously?

6-4 gets him a ton of heat. Trust me on that.

Plus, going to play at least 11-12 games, right?
Do you really think 6-4 will get him heat? I personally do not. Here’s all the excuses lined up:

1. The team is young; with a lot of growing still being done

2. A whole new system brought in, and guys did well in it under the circumstances

3. We’re still learning how to win, and that comes with growing as a team. It’s evident that we’ve made so much improvement (using cherry picked stats to compare last season to this season)

4. B/c of Covid, we didn’t get to coach our guys up the way we wanted to, practice the way we wanted to and that definitely hampered our results this year

5. I see a group of young men who are frustrated just as all of us, but this year’s team is so much closer than previous years and we’re going to use this season as a catapult

6. It’s on me; and Blake and I are going to sit down, we’re going to sit down collectively, you know via Zoom since there’s a pandemic that’s affected all of us, and we’re going to see the things we did good & we’ll build on that, right after this pandemic which definitely played a role.

-Book it. And we’ll have fans on here buying every bit of it, and justifying and saying just wait til Manny get his players. Lol.

Advertisement
Back