Stat comparison with last year

Advertisement
Williams is the only one with a chance in the near future. The others have to keep developing but have enough tools (they each have multiple years left after this one). Gaynor probably isn't athletic enough, but the others are. I'd say Zion has the best chance long-term.

OL is a development position. We never would've thought that three starters who got abused by Virginia Tech in 2016 would play professionally.
Its not because of talent or lack of talent these kids can or can't play in the nfl. Successful line play is all about trust , technique & communication. Next most relevant is scheme. We have one of those things going on now but far off on the others.

Couple caveats here. There are better teams in the second half of the schedule, so some of these stats may change considerably. Second, when comparing 2020 to 2019, I measured the 2020 stats by where they would rank last year. This year's rankings don't mean much given the staggered conference schedules.

Scoring Offense

2019- 22.6 (99th)
2020- 32.8 (26th)

Yards per play

2019- 5.1 (97th)
2020- 5.6 (58th)

Yards per pass

2019- 7.2 (73rd)
2020- 7.5 (58th)

Yards per rush

2019- 3.5 (119th)
2020- 4.3 (58th)

Third down percentage

2019- 25.97% (130th out of 130)
2020- 43.96% (25th)

Sack percentage allowed

2019- 11.06% (122nd)
2020- 8.06% (102nd)

Rush play percentage

2019- 44.95% (112th)
2020- 52.58% (62nd)

Field Goal percentage

2019- 63.16% (104th)
2020- 90.91% (6th)

Red Zone Scoring Percentage

2019- 73.68% (112th)
2020- 90.48% (19th)

Scoring Defense

2019- 21.9 (26th)
2020- 22.2 (28th)

Yards per play against

2019- 4.6 (10th)
2020- 5.1 (31st)

Yards per pass against

2019- 6.9 (37th)
2020- 6.2 (7th)

Yards per rush against

2019- 3.2 (10th)
2020- 4.2 (56th)

Third down percentage defense

2019- 38.50% (53rd)
2020- 33.33% (21st)

Sack percentage (defense)

2019- 11.03% (2nd)
2020- 6.1% (70th)

Takeaways per game

2019- 1.6 (40th)
2020- 1.5 (44th)

Quick observations. Big improvements in scoring offense (+73) and third-down percentage (+105). Also much better in the red zone (+93) and FGs (+98). Our pass protection is much improved but still bad.

Our pass rush (-68) and rush defense (-46) are way down. Shaq and Rousseau are the big personnel losses there. Our pass defense (+30) and third down defense (+32) are trending up, likely due to a more experienced secondary. Our scoring defense is stable so far but will be tested in the weeks to come.
Field Goal % stands out also. Huge change in how we play in the middle part of the field because we can actually score 3 pts. That plus 3rd down % and redzone are the ones that stood out to me most on offense.

Advertisement
You do see the difference between the way the CMU-UAB, Virginia and Pitt games each played out don't you?

We dominated the three games this year and barely survived the ones last year.
I guess we have different definitions of dominated. Both Pitt and VA were 7 point games (or less) late in the third quarter. Domination is given the young ones (other than the ones already in the two deep) a chance to play in garbage time. And this is the year to do it, it's a free year with no chance of blowing a redshirt.

The randomly pick fights with other dogs.

I think that may be because they’re working dogs, I mean they’re supposed to really be pack animals that are meant to be pulling a sled and pushing each other so I don’t know how well they do in terms of socializing with other dogs. I don’t really think they’re supposed to be too good at socializing that way anyway. Probably should be kept away from other dogs unless they are already familiar with them. But I’m no expert I’ve never owned one. I have owned Dobermans and Samoyeds in the past

We beat Pitt and UAB handily. WTF are you people talking about? They were never in the game. You can play a less than perfect and sloppy game and still beat your opponent comfortably. Or were you people expecting, a 100 point win from this squad?
In a game we're dominating, I 'd expect not to be in a 7 point game as we're approaching the 4th quarter. It doesn't matter how many garbage time points we get.

Last edited:
Dudes defended Golden with some cherry picked stats also. The most important test is the eye test. Coach Lisp N Slide has failed multiple times.

Advertisement
There's just certain things that happen(ed) under this staff that are stuck in my mind and our current 5-1 record won't erase them.

*Losing to much less talented teams (FIU for god sake)
*Our kids quitting
*The dancing on the sidelines during last year's ridiculous season. (although I haven't seen it this year yet)
*Our kids admittedly not working hard
*Celebrating like we won the Super Bowl after beating teams like Virginia and Western Kentucky
*The fact that I've never seen one of our coaches get in a kid's a$$
*Watching recruits come here and never get in better in 3/4 years (Joe Jackson, Chad Thomas, Jon Garvin, Jeff Thomas, Shaq and Pink, etc)
*Many of our players going to the NFL and fizzling out
*Allowing players on inferior teams to have a career day against our defense (I don't think this staff has EVER held an opponent's primary playmaker to a modest performance, I could be wrong)

Some of these aren't a big deal but when you add them all up, I don't see the makings of an elite program. And our HC sliding down a **** slip-n-slide after squeaking out a win versus 1-4 Virginia doesn't ease my worry.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Yeah man, the statistical breakdown looks good, but just watching the team, you see a lot of the bad habits or trends are still there. This is his fifth season here. What you see is what you get. The core of this program's culture under Manny Diaz is already in place and idk man, but it doesn't seem like a long-lasting winning formula. We're 5-1 now, but we were 4-0 against UVA, FSU, Louisville, and Pitt last year, too. Still, even if Manny Diaz becomes a like...9-3 type of coach...idk, that doesnt play well here either.

We'll see.

Couple caveats here. There are better teams in the second half of the schedule, so some of these stats may change considerably. Second, when comparing 2020 to 2019, I measured the 2020 stats by where they would rank last year. This year's rankings don't mean much given the staggered conference schedules.

Scoring Offense

2019- 22.6 (99th)
2020- 32.8 (26th)

Yards per play

2019- 5.1 (97th)
2020- 5.6 (58th)

Yards per pass

2019- 7.2 (73rd)
2020- 7.5 (58th)

Yards per rush

2019- 3.5 (119th)
2020- 4.3 (58th)

Third down percentage

2019- 25.97% (130th out of 130)
2020- 43.96% (25th)

Sack percentage allowed

2019- 11.06% (122nd)
2020- 8.06% (102nd)

Rush play percentage

2019- 44.95% (112th)
2020- 52.58% (62nd)

Field Goal percentage

2019- 63.16% (104th)
2020- 90.91% (6th)

Red Zone Scoring Percentage

2019- 73.68% (112th)
2020- 90.48% (19th)

Scoring Defense

2019- 21.9 (26th)
2020- 22.2 (28th)

Yards per play against

2019- 4.6 (10th)
2020- 5.1 (31st)

Yards per pass against

2019- 6.9 (37th)
2020- 6.2 (7th)

Yards per rush against

2019- 3.2 (10th)
2020- 4.2 (56th)

Third down percentage defense

2019- 38.50% (53rd)
2020- 33.33% (21st)

Sack percentage (defense)

2019- 11.03% (2nd)
2020- 6.1% (70th)

Takeaways per game

2019- 1.6 (40th)
2020- 1.5 (44th)

Quick observations. Big improvements in scoring offense (+73) and third-down percentage (+105). Also much better in the red zone (+93) and FGs (+98). Our pass protection is much improved but still bad.

Our pass rush (-68) and rush defense (-46) are way down. Shaq and Rousseau are the big personnel losses there. Our pass defense (+30) and third down defense (+32) are trending up, likely due to a more experienced secondary. Our scoring defense is stable so far but will be tested in the weeks to come.
Watch how these stats will change in the next 5 weeks. This team is headed for an implosion. Unless Lashlee and Baker pull off a miracle and change their thought process. Let's bump this thread in 5 weeks though.

Its not because of talent or lack of talent these kids can or can't play in the nfl. Successful line play is all about trust , technique & communication. Next most relevant is scheme. We have one of those things going on now but far off on the others.
I think trust and technique are still lacking, scheme is definitely helping and it seems like they are hamstringing King a bit because he is a magician back there but for every free rush defender he makes look silly, he tends to hold onto the ball a second too late on occasion and take what people commonly call a coverage sack.

Communication I think has gotten better. I am obviously not on the field but I do not recall (like last year) where we have two guys blocking one and a free rusher, or the entire line downclocking one way when they are out leveraged the other. The passing off and knowing WHO to block, has gotten better, actually having that technique to anchor and hold the line is a different story.

There's just certain things that happen(ed) under this staff that are stuck in my mind and our current 5-1 record won't erase them.

*Our kids quitting
*The dancing on the sidelines during last year's ridiculous season. (although I haven't seen it this year yet)
*Celebrating like we won the Super Bowl after beating teams like Virginia and Western Kentucky
*Watching recruits come here and never get in better in 3/4 years (Joe Jackson, Chad Thomas, Jon Garvin, Jeff Thomas, Shaq and Pink, etc)
*Allowing players on inferior teams to have a career day against our defense (I don't think this staff has EVER held an opponent's primary playmaker to a modest performance, I could be wrong)

Some of these aren't a big deal but when you add them all up, I don't see the makings of an elite program. And our HC sliding down a **** slip-n-slide after squeaking out a win versus 1-4 Virginia doesn't ease my worry.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
I would add:
*Not getting the team ready to play on a week to week basis.
*Playing with a low football IQ in "game situations" (when a single play can change the dynamics of a game).

Advertisement
My only serious worry with this team for the rest of the year is the effect of covid, honestly.

Doesn't mean we can't lose out of course, given our history.

Watch how these stats will change in the next 5 weeks. This team is headed for an implosion. Unless Lashlee and Baker pull off a miracle and change their thought process. Let's bump this thread in 5 weeks though.

Could be. I don't see a full-on implosion if King is healthy. A slide like 2017, that is a definite possibly. This looks like a 2-3 loss team to me, but there is room for improvement and adjustments.

*Our kids quitting

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Advertisement
In a game we're dominating, I 'd expect not to be in a 7 point game as we're approaching the 4th quarter. It doesn't matter how many garbage time points we get.
You can't score garbage time points if the game is close. Garbage time points would be scoring a touchdown late in the fourth quarter when you already have a double digit lead. They could have scored late in the game against Pitt to make the score look look more impressive but they took a knee inside the 10 yard line and ran out the clock. I would consider pretty much the entire second half of the Florida State game to be garbage time.

Dudes defended Golden with some cherry picked stats also. The most important test is the eye test. Coach Lisp N Slide has failed multiple times.

So last year it was "just win". This year it's "win, but also pass the eye test". Y'all are some real life weirdos.

Advertisement
Back