Starting Potential from this years class

andrewreg

Recruit
Who has the best/highest chance of starting on next years squad among potential targets and commitments. Taking into consideration individual recruit talent + what is currently on the roster (ie perryman or johnson starting over 6 at OLB or artie over gunter or crawford etc at CB)

Advertisement
Sandland- obvious

Carter- if Jenkins can make that much improvement, why can't Carter make more?
Collins- splitting time with Duke obviously
6- he's just that good
Coley- he's just a lot better than most on our roster

If we're gonna do well this year, the only one that NEEDS to start is Sandland. Everybody else either plays special teams or redshirts. Maybe, AC can play O since we use multiple backs.

Sandland is the obvious answer.

True Fr. though, I'd say Coley starts. We don't have a WR with his skill set on our roster, it's that simple.

Edit- Collins gets TONS of carries though

Advertisement
Sandland- obvious

6- he's just that good

AQM may not start, but should get PT.

Sandland- obvious

6- he's just that good

I left Sandland out because that's obvious but

Carter- I think that he wont start because honestly you really gotta get him mentaly in the game because i have seen many safeties his size not work out because unlike Sean Taylor it just seems that they never know how to translate their size into the safety spot but he can prove me wrong

Collins-I think gets more carries then Duke because in the open field as a receiver, rb and return man duke is too dangerous so they will use him in many different ways to create mismatches
6-Like you said is that **** good
Coley- I think Herb starts over him and lets be real we are deep at wr, let's not forget malcolm, rashawn, dorsett and others so it's a long shot

I expect Walford to be the starter. Kind of like how Shockey was the #2 behind Mercer in 2000.

Sandland- obvious

6- he's just that good

I left Sandland out because that's obvious but

Carter- I think that he wont start because honestly you really gotta get him mentaly in the game because i have seen many safeties his size not work out because unlike Sean Taylor it just seems that they never know how to translate their size into the safety spot but he can prove me wrong

Collins-I think gets more carries then Duke because in the open field as a receiver, rb and return man duke is too dangerous so they will use him in many different ways to create mismatches
6-Like you said is that **** good
Coley- I think Herb starts over him and lets be real we are deep at wr, let's not forget malcolm, rashawn, dorsett and others so it's a long shot

Well to be honest, it's tough to find guys that would actually start. We already have so much young talent on the roster that shined last year. Just saying at this point last year would you have guessed Rashawn Jenkins would be our starting safety at the end of the year? I give Carter a slight shot just because whomever worked with our young safeties last year is obviously a warlock, to work the magic he did.

Advertisement
It's frightening the amount of impact we are bringing in. We're aren't drafting. These are free agents who will be paying IMMEDIATE dividends. Of course these free agents have the added bonus of still having room to develop, but guys like Burns, AQM, Collins, 6, Sandland, and Coley, could be huge for the 2013 team. Even though we had a big time class in '12, some of the higher ranked guys had/have a lot of development left to do and were a long ways off from helping us tangibly on the field. Jelani Hamilton, McCord, Lockhart, and even Tracy Howard weren't prepared to accept large roles on the team. That ain't the case in this class. We got a bunch of guys who are ready to roll.

I don't think any besides Sandland start, but Burns, Bostwick, Carter, Coley, Bond, AQM, and Coley will see playing time.. Some more than others.

It's Sandland overall.

Of the true freshmen...

Not counting potential injuries (DL or RB) or suspension (Eddie Johnson), the best chance of a late season starter will be Artie Burns. He'd have to first jump guys like Larry Hope and Nate Dortch. Then he'd have to jump someone like Gunter.

I think there's a better shot of that happening than (a) AQM jumping Mccord of Chickillo, (b) Collins jumping Duke, (c) Thomas being physically developed enough to outright jump Eddie Johnson, (d) Jamal Carter jumping the backups and then jumping Jenkins, (e) Coley jumping 3-4 guys.

I don't think any besides Sandland start, but Burns, Bostwick, Carter, Coley, Bond, AQM, and Coley will see playing time.. Some more than others.

I hope the line is decent enough where Bostwick doesn't have to see the field.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jump Eddie Johnson?

I'd be careful putting those words together. The Punishment of God will come down on he who attempts this.

Lu is a dead man then.......

Firstly, I'd like to make it clear to Eddie Johnson that I stated I didn't think he'd be jumped. But, respectfully, of course, I'd like to acknowledge that I'm not exactly an Eddie Johnson hype man. I think he has some serious holes in his game and the beautiful thing is he'll have to improve quickly AND keep it together off the field, or a guy like Matthew Thomas is going to...jump him.

Thomas is a once in 7 years defensive football player.

Jump Eddie Johnson?

I'd be careful putting those words together. The Punishment of God will come down on he who attempts this.

Lu is a dead man then.......

Firstly, I'd like to make it clear to Eddie Johnson that I stated I didn't think he'd be jumped. But, respectfully, of course, I'd like to acknowledge that I'm not exactly an Eddie Johnson hype man. I think he has some serious holes in his game and the beautiful thing is he'll have to improve quickly AND keep it together off the field, or a guy like Matthew Thomas is going to...jump him.

Thomas is a once in 7 years defensive football player.

Lu, do you think this is potentially the best LB we've ever signed on paper? It seems as though you are exceptionally high on 6 and Grace.

Advertisement
Back