Starting Potential from this years class

Sandland....obvious
Next.........Collins followed by Coley
Everybody else.....RS and special teams
6 and Artie will get some burn time

Advertisement
Jump Eddie Johnson?

I'd be careful putting those words together. The Punishment of God will come down on he who attempts this.

Lu is a dead man then.......

Firstly, I'd like to make it clear to Eddie Johnson that I stated I didn't think he'd be jumped. But, respectfully, of course, I'd like to acknowledge that I'm not exactly an Eddie Johnson hype man. I think he has some serious holes in his game and the beautiful thing is he'll have to improve quickly AND keep it together off the field, or a guy like Matthew Thomas is going to...jump him.

Thomas is a once in 7 years defensive football player.

I thought he was out best defender last year, raw as heck, but a physical beast, esp against the run. Let Thomas play the other side, #1 goon needs to stay on the field with Denzel.

Jump Eddie Johnson?

I'd be careful putting those words together. The Punishment of God will come down on he who attempts this.

Firstly, I'd like to make it clear to Eddie Johnson that I stated I didn't think he'd be jumped. But, respectfully, of course, I'd like to acknowledge that I'm not exactly an Eddie Johnson hype man. I think he has some serious holes in his game and the beautiful thing is he'll have to improve quickly AND keep it together off the field, or a guy like Matthew Thomas is going to...jump him.

Lu, do you think this is potentially the best LB we've ever signed on paper? It seems as though you are exceptionally high on 6 and Grace.

DJ Williams will probably always be the best LB we signed on paper. Jessie Armstead probably has to be up there as well.

For today's game, where defenses need to cover the slot screen as much as they need to rush the passer, I think 6 is the best LB we've signed since DJ Williams. As crazy as it sounds, i think Grace is really special, too. At this point, if you're a LB and you can't play well in space (coverage), you better rush the passer like a ******* animal. If you can do one of those extremely well, you're likely going to make a huge impact. If you can do both of those really well (eh, Matthew Thomas), well...

...guess we'll see.

Armstead was all-world, as was DJ, coming out of high school. I think Nate Webster was pretty high up there too.

Advertisement
Who has the best/highest chance of starting on next years squad among potential targets and commitments. Taking into consideration individual recruit talent + what is currently on the roster (ie perryman or johnson starting over 6 at OLB or artie over gunter or crawford etc at CB)

Sandland will start.
Burns or Carter certainly could. Maybe one or the other _should_.
AQM could, and should see real time.
Coley could wind up starting at some point if he is what I think he is.

Jamal Carter - #3 safety by game 3.

Artie Burns - Will play a ton on special teams. Could be #4 corner behind Crawford, Howard and Gunter.

Alex Collins - #2 back 150 carries.

Matthew Thomas - #2 LB behind Eddie Johnson.

Beau Sandland - Co starter at TE.

Stacey Coley - #5 WR and could move up.

Armstead was all-world, as was DJ, coming out of high school. I think Nate Webster was pretty high up there too.

<---------- Loved NW, favorite cane ever

Arthur Brown was the #1 LB in the nation on multiple sites as well

The 2000 LB'ers should have been among the best ever.

Morgan
Webster
Campbell
Vilma
Clark
Weaver

DJ should have been a LB'er as well

Bond will get a ton of PT, not sure if he will start but wouldnt be surprised if as the season rolls on he takes on a bigger role

Advertisement

Lu, do you think this is potentially the best LB we've ever signed on paper? It seems as though you are exceptionally high on 6 and Grace.

DJ Williams will probably always be the best LB we signed on paper. Jessie Armstead probably has to be up there as well.

For today's game, where defenses need to cover the slot screen as much as they need to rush the passer, I think 6 is the best LB we've signed since DJ Williams. As crazy as it sounds, i think Grace is really special, too. At this point, if you're a LB and you can't play well in space (coverage), you better rush the passer like a ****ing animal. If you can do one of those extremely well, you're likely going to make a huge impact. If you can do both of those really well (eh, Matthew Thomas), well...

...guess we'll see.

Great to hear. And that works out well for us that we're likely getting them both because while next year's so fl talent pool is more loaded than this year, I haven't seen a big time LB emerge from SoFL for the 2014 class yet.

Jamal Carter - #3 safety by game 3.

Artie Burns - Will play a ton on special teams. Could be #4 corner behind Crawford, Howard and Gunter.

Alex Collins - #2 back 150 carries.

Matthew Thomas - #2 LB behind Eddie Johnson.

Beau Sandland - Co starter at TE.

Stacey Coley - #5 WR and could move up.

Coley only #5?

I m sorry dont want any one of these guys starting if they start trust me we will lose some games..Sandland is ready , hopefully .... Remember everyone saying Tracy Howard would come in and start? Dude wasn't ready and got toasted wasnt until final two games he looked decent .... Bush came in and did his thing but was still out of position on plays .... Play time and getting in the rotation will do ... If we have another season with freshmen starting especially on defense you will be on here calling for Golden's head...

Last edited:
Not sure START is the right word. It's about quality PT and key contributors. No way Collins starts barring an injury, but we're screwed without him or some semblance of him. Fair guess is he'll get 30-40% of touches out of the backfield. JUCO TE and pass rusher off the end are expected to contribute and - as good as class potentially may be - say 5-6 make it into the two-deep.

Advertisement
Think of the young depth we are going to have....we are 2/3 of the way to having a complete roster, top to bottom loaded with talent. at LB we are going to be as deep as anyone...at DE/pass rushing hybrid...deep...the back end...deep. WR..deep. RB..two studs...the only thing left is the interior Dline...and boom...serious **** is gonna be goin down at Sun life the next few years.

I just love the fact that we don't have to start 4 or 5 FR. This class is loaded, in the last few years these guys would be asked to play a major, major roll from the start. Now, they at the very least have a little time to get acclimated to the game before that has to happen.

If we're gonna do well this year, the only one that NEEDS to start is Sandland. Everybody else either plays special teams or redshirts. Maybe, AC can play O since we use multiple backs.
see this dont make no sense to me.....what if the freshman is your best option at the position? you start him, that's what.

Advertisement
the offensive guys are pretty obvious.

as far as defense goes, the defense is so bad that anyone we sign can come in and contribute immediately. our pass rush is embarrassing, so i'd imagine that thomas and AQM will be able to get burn immediately. i wouldn't be surprised if thomas was thrown into the fire on third downs immediately before having his role fleshed out as the season goes on.

i'm less optimistic about burns & carter contributing immediately only because the secondary is one of the biggest adjustments for a high school player and we have a lot of bodies there (though most of them aren't very good)

coley could definitely get burn. if he's as advertised he would give us something that we don't have: a game breaker who is also a big body. right now we have good possession receivers (hurns, scott) and one game breaker (dorsett) who is pretty tiny. you could even group waters in with dorsett. so even though our WRs are pretty good right now, we don't have that amari cooper-esque big, tall guy that can stretch the field. (not that coley is as good as amari, but you get the idea.)

Advertisement
Back