staff landing spots

The fate of the coaches that have come through Miami the last 10 years tells all you need to know about why the program is where it is right now. Very few have gone on to further their careers. Almost all went backwards in their careers and haven't been heard from since. Ironically, the most successful might be Coker, who found the perfect job at UT San Antonio.

Anyone remember Patrick Nix?
Think Coker just got fired from that job.

Advertisement
Larry Soctt didn't take a pay cut to go to Tenneesse, idk where you heard that.

I was about to say...how does he even know what Scott was making at UM since they keep what they pay under wraps being a private institution? Also, I thought Scott was not fired but may have been offerred a position to stay at UM?

Richt cleaning house and where the previous staff is landing is extremely telling on our staff and how valued they are. Is there time left and will some of these guys land on their feet? Likely but they aren't being picked off as hot commodities. The 3 that have landed elsewhere are all demotions or setbacks in their career.

Golden - TE's Coach with Detroit Lions (demotion)
Coley - UGA WR's (demotion)
Beard - undetermined
Scott - TE's at Tennessee (lateral move from being an Interim HC)
Kehoe - unemployed
Harris - Booker T (demotion worthy)
D'Onfrio - unemployed
Melvin - Purdue DL (demotion worthy)
H.Brown - unemployed
K.Brown - demoted to Football Ops
Williams - Illinois DB's (demotion worthy)

updated. 4 coaches are unemployed including our DC. every coach that is employed took a demotion elsewhere. above is how other coaches view our old staff. thank god they are ALL gone and we have hope with this new staff

Advertisement
That is just an example of a fan saying what they hear. Hurlie was absolutely clueless. Players had to correct him in LB meetings. He has no idea how to coach LB's. Sorry to be critical but what do you base your "best of the bunch" on?

I think Hurlie was clueless too, but just fo kicks, what do you base your statement players had to correct him in meetings on? You were there?

Advertisement
That is just an example of a fan saying what they hear. Hurlie was absolutely clueless. Players had to correct him in LB meetings. He has no idea how to coach LB's. Sorry to be critical but what do you base your "best of the bunch" on?

Hurlie was a defensive back in a 4-3 defense as a player...Not exactly Ideal for a 3-4 LB Coach...I would hope the kids knew just as much about the position, since he would have had to learn everything about a 3-4 LB from Golden/D'Onofrio just like the players under him.

F A G and his staff were the worst staff I can remember at UM. Not one of them was an actual football coach, and they couldn't recruit a dog to a meat wagon. We lucked into some good players based upon UM's location and the fact that some kids wanted to be Canes, but I can't get over just how bad that crew was.

Hurns is great because of: (1) natural athletic ability and (2) the coaching he has received in his time with the Jaguars. Pretty simple.

That is a laughable claim.

Somehow Hurns was a nobody who only succeeded because he received a few months of coaching from the Jaguars staff? He had 1,000 yards as a rookie right out of the gate. That's not because of a few mini-camps with the Jaguars.

Advertisement
The fate of the coaches that have come through Miami the last 10 years tells all you need to know about why the program is where it is right now. Very few have gone on to further their careers. Almost all went backwards in their careers and haven't been heard from since. Ironically, the most successful might be Coker, who found the perfect job at UT San Antonio.

Anyone remember Patrick Nix?

How about Jedd Fisch? That man made Jacory Harris and Stephen Morris look like legit, quality QBs. That took nothing short of a miracle. And what he has done with Harbaugh at Michigan so far has been amazing as well. That man has done more with less talent than just about any offensive coordinator I can think of. I wish Golden had made a play for him when he was released by the Jaguars instead of sticking with "half back pass in a blizzard" Coley.

The last 3 of our head coaches have all had big demotions after being fired from here. (Coker Head coach at UTSA, Shannon position coach, Golden position coach.) At other teams such as Notre Dame their head coaches actually get decent jobs after being fired. (Willingham Washington coach Weis Kansas coach.)

Coker's former assistants seem to have fared quite a bit better since being on Coker's staff than Coker himself has. Former Coker OC Chudzinski was an NFL head coach for a year, and Shannon of course became head coach after Coker was fired. Cristobal also is a former Coker assistant who managed to do halfway decently after Miami. (Head coach at FIU position coach for Saban after he was only a position coach at Miami.) All of those 3 guys actually got upgrades in their post Coker days.

Stoutland is now the offensive line coach for the 49ers but I'm pretty sure he's the only former Shannon assistant who's done decently after Miami.

Last edited:
Don't forget dnofrio, he's now at UCF as grad assistant.

That means he can get a good living in the business world after getting his graduate degree and forget about coaching. Sounds like the best possible option for him actually. Get much better pay doing that than Nix is getting as a high school coach. I wonder how long it will be before Nix is fired from his HS coaching job for his .500 records.

Advertisement
Golden and Coach D had contracts. Says something that Golden took the best job he could get. Needed to be coaching. Big fail here, but I wish him well.

Hurns is great because of: (1) natural athletic ability and (2) the coaching he has received in his time with the Jaguars. Pretty simple.

That is a laughable claim.

Somehow Hurns was a nobody who only succeeded because he received a few months of coaching from the Jaguars staff? He had 1,000 yards as a rookie right out of the gate. That's not because of a few mini-camps with the Jaguars.

Yours is a laughable response.

Hurns went from having James Coley calling/designing plays to having a NFL offensive coaching staff calling/designing plays. Not too difficult to see why he had such a jump in production.

Advertisement
Back