Staff Changes - 1/2 PM Update

View as article
Advertisement
Cooney? WTF? Since he joined the staff he has landed whom? I wanted a savage recruiting director, someone who would stop the SoFla poaching. And we get a guy who is green and untested.......he may turn out to be a good college coach/recruiter, but why does Miami need to train yet another high school dude? Please explain this to me.

Advertisement
Cooney? WTF? Since he joined the staff he has landed whom? I wanted a savage recruiting director, someone who would stop the SoFla poaching. And we get a guy who is green and untested.......he may turn out to be a good college coach/recruiter, but why does Miami need to train yet another high school dude? Please explain this to me.

pope, wiggins

Advertisement
For those questioning the Cooney hire, I can assure you that he is a HUGE asset. He knows the ins & outs of Dade County recruiting & has the inside track with the entire 7 on 7 circuit. And for the record, ALL parents have a problem with coaches when their kids aren’t playing & Cooney **** sure wasn’t in charge of WR groupings & rotations. Half the battle is getting the kids & families to campus on unscheduled visits (during the school week) so that they can experience the school on a normal day. Cooney will improve this tenfold over what we were currently doing. IF he gets the job, it’s a great hire.

Advertisement
**Earlier today, Manny Diaz referred to an additional hire coming on the defense. I'm told Miami is set on making that hire a defensive coordinator, which would move Jon Patke (outside linebackers) and Ephraim Banda (safeties) back to their prior roles on the staff. I can confirm the top target right now is Blake Baker, the current defensive coordinator at Louisiana Tech. Diaz worked with Baker at Mississippi State and I'm told Baker was set to follow Diaz to Temple to be co-DC's with Fran Brown, with Baker in the playcalling role.

**As for recruiting coordinator, I can confirm through multiple sources that offensive quality control coach David Cooney is being promoted to the position. I'm told it is a done deal.

**As for strength and conditioning coach, I've heard two names floating around as options behind the scenes. One would be Kurt Hester, the current head of S&C at Louisiana Tech. The second is Bo Davis, currently the D-Line coach for the Detroit Lions and former assistant S&C coach at LSU.
Diaz reads this board

For those questioning the Cooney hire, I can assure you that he is a HUGE asset. He knows the ins & outs of Dade County recruiting & has the inside track with the entire 7 on 7 circuit. And for the record, ALL parents have a problem with coaches when their kids aren’t playing & Cooney **** sure wasn’t in charge of WR groupings & rotations. Half the battle is getting the kids & families to campus on unscheduled visits (during the school week) so that they can experience the school on a normal day. Cooney will improve this tenfold over what we were currently doing. IF he gets the job, it’s a great hire.
Great insight! Always nice to hear this from someone who went through the process and is still active when it comes to seeing how things are done.

I’ve been preaching this for months. And there’s guys on here totally disrespecting him.

He’s a huge deal in sfla.

Advertisement
I tell you what. I love what he is doing so far. Reworking the entire organization so he can be HC. Don't know how all of this ends, but I love what he is doing so far. The right way to go about setting up a legit coaching staff!

Advertisement
Back