Staff Changes - 1/2 PM Update

Advertisement
Been wondering the same exact thing. Didn't someone (maybe even Stefan) say the issue with Seider was $?
Can’t be since we are not paying top dollar on the defensive staff.(still getting top results on field performance so I wont Complain about that). But the money needs to be well spent on offense period

Good, god...ST’s are usually coached by a coach who is responsible for multiple positions. This is an indictment on Harley. No one is saying ST isn’t important.

I hear you now answer me why we need a safeties and CBs coach? Ask Jimmy Johnson what is probably the most critical unit on a team! Dual roles didn’t work for the last 2 regimes so let’s go for the trifecta,

wasn't Butch in charge of ST when he was HC?

Idk but our Special Teams was at its peak during those days. We had more blocked kicks than VT for several years during the Butch era. Crosland was the only negative during the Butch days. Hated that ******.

Advertisement
You might be right...I was going off of memory on that one

Yeah was but Jimmy and Butch as noted were heavily involved. My point is the whole unit needs to be revamped and started from scratch and it will take time. The dual role is fine but I want to see a guy next season totally revamp that unit and do his other job as well.

Advertisement
I know Saban let him go due to some alleged recruiting violations. But he wouldn't be in that role. has he ever lead a strength and conditioning program?
I’d be shocked if Diaz is pursuing Davis for the S&C job. Makes no sense unless Davis reached out and told Diaz he wants to come here in some role until his show cause ends. Then when it ends he transitions to DL coach.

The Davis news, on its face, makes absolutely no sense unless the Lions told him he was getting fired and he started reaching out to programs he’d like to go to.

He helped deliver Pope, Wiggins & had a lot to do with Cam Davis as well, plus 2020 WR Marcus Fleming.

Stevenson is Banda's target, I'm not saying that Cooney doesn't have influence & is involved with trying to get Ty, but you can't tell me we're laying the responsibility of landing a 4/5-star DB at the feet of a guy who was an offensive coach in HS & was QC support since being at Miami. Not landing Stevenson falls on Banda more than anyone.

There's other prospects in the 2020,21 etc classes that Cooney will have a part in bringing in. People might not like Cooney but his situation isn't comparable to Rumph. Rumph actually gets paid a big salary to both recruit & coach Corners, Cooney had no real pliability as a Quality control coach, his new role as recruiting coordinator is perfect for him.
You know as well as I do that Cooney was hired to deliver local recruits no matter what title he holds. He wasn’t there to “control the quality.” He was hired to deliver recruits. If he doesn’t, then he shouldn’t be here. It’s a results game.

Put it on Banda or whoever I don’t care, but Banda doesn’t have the in that Cooney is supposed to have. Banda is a barkeep from fcking Incarnate Word.

Apparently, Diaz likes him. So if he wants to promote him to recruiting coordinator then go ahead. If he nabbed Tyrique, then I’m all for it. But if he doesn’t deliver then that’s on Diaz just like every other move from this point forward.

Don’t really get the whole hiring local coaches thing anymore. It hasn’t worked with landing top guys and when we inevitably fire these guys they take their grudges back to their communities and we are stuck with jilted ******* that not only sucked as staff members but now keep us out of their schools

Don’t really get the whole hiring local coaches thing anymore. It hasn’t worked with landing top guys and when we inevitably fire these guys they take their grudges back to their communities and we are stuck with jilted ******* that not only sucked as staff members but now keep us out of their schools

Yeap.
Heck, this happened as far back as when Dennis Erickson didn't retain Don Soldinger.
It seems like afterwards no kids from Soldinger' Southridge HS was interested in UM.
Good points.

Advertisement

this is an interesting point, for the most part our best staffs(that I can recall) weren't filled with 'local guys' but highly competent and qualified coaches. Most of our coaches who ended up moving up the coaching ladder were individuals who happened to be highly competent in their jobs and were then rewarded for it. And locals like Soldinger, was a highly decorated coach at Southridge, on his own merits

I get the whole dynamic of local ties, etc, but there comes a time where you have to be good at your job or you're just a glorified Bundini Brown

Michael Barrow is the only former player who I really liked at Miami as a coach. Thought it was a shame to lose him. Rumph looks like an excellent teacher, but can’t recruit for ****.

Advertisement
Michael Barrow is the only former player who I really liked at Miami as a coach. Thought it was a shame to lose him. Rumph looks like an excellent teacher, but can’t recruit for ****.

Barrow actually got let go by the Seahawks last offseason. Pretty sure he's still unemployed.

I am also interested in any news on OC position. I would think they would like to have their OC signed before they pick a quarterback coach. I know Ken Dorsey has signed at Appalachian State but I thought he was the offense of cordinator there. My understanding now is that he is an assistant to the offense coordinator. I’d love to see Dorsey in the QB coaching spot.

Advertisement
Back