Stadium

Been saying this for years. Would be a parking, traffic nightmare the likes of which nobody has experienced unless all of the residents nearby are cool with people parking in their yard. You could also tear down West Lab and build something on the big swath of land east of it.

Coral Gables will not allow it

Advertisement
You care because you keep bringing up your Yale MBA to reinforce your point.

Post a pic, and I’ll donate $100 to the charity of your choice.

So, since it’s important enough to bring up, it’s important enough to prove.
As far as stadium deals for private universities go, you’ve already made a fool of yourself saying a city would pay anything other than maybe donate land, which in itself is a big maybe.

Your only argument is that these deals have complex financing, amortization, etc. Anybody knows that, just like anybody knows you don’t pay for it in one lump sum, like a drug dealer buying a luxury car.

The deals being layered is irrelevant.

Total cost isr relevant, and you’re not building anything decent in Miami for under half a billion or close.

Dream on.

And I can read Latin, you fūcking idiot.

People bring up their alma maters all the time. Look at the thread on Tate Martel - a bunch of people are posting how they went to Ohio State. Are you going to ask them to prove it by posting their diplomas? My guess is they'll tell you to **** off just as I did.

I brought up going to Yale when you accused me of not understanding finance. In that context, it's relevant because getting an MBA from Yale would mean I have some formal financial training from a pretty good school. But you can believe what you want.

You can look at stadium financing in terms of total cost contributed by the university if you want, but then you have to compare it to the present value of all the future lease payments in perpetuity, and you have to consider the PV over the lifetime of the stadium of all opportunity costs such as renting the stadium out for other uses, concessions, parking revenues, etc.

Not to mention all the intangible benefits a stadium would bring in terms of recruiting and in raising the general perception of the university. You would need to model and make assumptions on future revenues based on stronger recruiting, the excitement generated by a new stadium, etc.

You would need to estimate repair costs. You would need some way to measure the risk, however small, that Mr. Ross tells us to **** off after the lease is up and chooses not to renew, or that he jacks up the price.

We would have to know all the detailed lease terms, the university's plans after the lease is expired, details on how the university raises capital, etc, etc etc etc. You would have to understand sponsorship agreements, tax structure, government contributions, etc.

In all, it's a complicated exercise. We could create a "lease vs buy" model based on some reasonable assumptions, but it seems like a lot of work for a message board.

So I'll leave it at this. I think we could build a stadium. The biggest reason I believe this is simply that most universities have their own stadiums, and I'm assuming the scores of university presidents and boards know something. I don't believe Miami's situation is so very different from that of other schools.

More than that, I think it's a perfectly legitimate discussion for our fans to be having, and, given that we have very little information to do a proper analysis, I find it very arrogant of certain fans to dismiss the idea out of hand, when those fans have no more access to Miami's financial or political inner workings than the rest of us.

I’m not understanding why the stadium is such a sore spot. Why are restrictions placed on Miami and not other schools by our fan base?

Hard Rock, Sunlife, Joe Robbie, whatever, will never be considered a real home. Granted, I haven’t been the stadium w the new renovations, but again those renovations had chit to do w us and everything for Mr Ross making his stadium more event friendly.

My question is, do we make any concession or parking money from The Rock or are we just tennants paying w no residual benefits?

If not, then why not try to get our own stadium? Or if rumors are true that Jeter and co. is trying to uproot the Marlins to go elsewhere, if their stadium becomes a viable option, what’s wrong w seeing what we can do w it?

I’m a firm believer that nothing is impossible, so I’m not sure why people are arguing against it. Even former players have lobbied for their own stadium in the past.

Because it’s fiscally and logistically improbable.

People will walk on Mars before we have a stadium.

But don’t take my word for it.

Talk to anyone that has anything todo with the school.

If they don’t have the will to do it, it’s not getting done.

People bring up their alma maters all the time. Look at the thread on Tate Martel - a bunch of people are posting how they went to Ohio State. Are you going to ask them to prove it by posting their diplomas? My guess is they'll tell you to **** off just as I did.

I brought up going to Yale when you accused me of not understanding finance. In that context, it's relevant because getting an MBA from Yale would mean I have some formal financial training from a pretty good school. But you can believe what you want.

You can look at stadium financing in terms of total cost contributed by the university if you want, but then you have to compare it to the present value of all the future lease payments in perpetuity, and you have to consider the PV over the lifetime of the stadium of all opportunity costs such as renting the stadium out for other uses, concessions, parking revenues, etc.

Not to mention all the intangible benefits a stadium would bring in terms of recruiting and in raising the general perception of the university. You would need to model and make assumptions on future revenues based on stronger recruiting, the excitement generated by a new stadium, etc.

You would need to estimate repair costs. You would need some way to measure the risk, however small, that Mr. Ross tells us to **** off after the lease is up and chooses not to renew, or that he jacks up the price.

We would have to know all the detailed lease terms, the university's plans after the lease is expired, details on how the university raises capital, etc, etc etc etc. You would have to understand sponsorship agreements, tax structure, government contributions, etc.

In all, it's a complicated exercise. We could create a "lease vs buy" model based on some reasonable assumptions, but it seems like a lot of work for a message board.

So I'll leave it at this. I think we could build a stadium. The biggest reason I believe this is simply that most universities have their own stadiums, and I'm assuming the scores of university presidents and boards know something. I don't believe Miami's situation is so very different from that of other schools.

More than that, I think it's a perfectly legitimate discussion for our fans to be having, and, given that we have very little information to do a proper analysis, I find it very arrogant of certain fans to dismiss the idea out of hand, when those fans have no more access to Miami's financial or political inner workings than the rest of us.

Did not read.

You don’t have to convince me. I’d love our own stadium, but I’m perfectly fine going to HRS, and, guess what, so are the 65,000 people that go.

No demand means no stadium.

$200 to the charity of your choice.

Yale has a poor MBA program. They founded the business school in 1976 and "MBAs" in the late 80s. Dartmouth has the oldest true MBA program (1900) in the country followed by Harvard.

Yale MBA accepts 17% of applicants versus 7% for the traditional MBAs. It has an average GMAT of 690 versus 790 for the traditional programs.

None of the firms I ever worked at will hire from Yale or Cornell. Neither Goldman nor McKinsey will hire from there either.

People apply there because it is 50% easier to get in than a UVA, MIT, Columbia, Wharton, etc...

Its UNDERGRADUATE school is arguably the best in the world. Its MBA is 2nd tier.

Advertisement
Did not read.

$200 to the charity of your choice.

Add a couple zeros to the end of that or stop wasting my time with your trivial BS.

My favorite charity is the MathCounts foundation. They support math education for gifted middle-school kids all over the country, holding math competitions and the like.

Donate $20,000 to them, and I'll jump through your hoops with a happy heart.

Yale has a poor MBA program. They founded the business school in 1976 and "MBAs" in the late 80s. Dartmouth has the oldest true MBA program (1900) in the country followed by Harvard.

Yale MBA accepts 17% of applicants versus 7% for the traditional MBAs. It has an average GMAT of 690 versus 790 for the traditional programs.

None of the firms I ever worked at will hire from Yale or Cornell. Neither Goldman nor McKinsey will hire from there either.

People apply there because it is 50% easier to get in than a UVA, MIT, Columbia, Wharton, etc...

Its UNDERGRADUATE school is arguably the best in the world. Its MBA is 2nd tier.

Yeah, Yale sucks. You got me there, bud.

I got a 760 on my GMAT. If @OriginalCanesCanesCanes makes that $20,000 donation, I'll post proof of that too.

Add a couple zeros to the end of that or stop wasting my time with your trivial BS.

My favorite charity is the MathCounts foundation. They support math education for gifted middle-school kids all over the country, holding math competitions and the like.

Donate $20,000 to them, and I'll jump through your hoops with a happy heart.

$300 final offer

Advertisement
Go back to the drawing board, work harder at whatever job you do, and come back when your bark has some more bite.

I don’t need to work any harder for my heirs, who I’m basically working for now.

If you want to get into a net worth plssing contest, I guarantee you lose.

I’m sorry you don’t actually have a Yale MBA because you had me going there for a while.

Only a fool and liar would turn down a few hundred to the charity of their choice.

Yeah, Yale sucks. You got me there, bud.

I got a 760 on my GMAT. If @OriginalCanesCanesCanes makes that $20,000 donation, I'll post proof of that too.

I NEVER said that.

Yale, Princeton, Harvard and Stanford are the Country's best UNDERGRADUATE schools.

Yale MBA is second tier. It has a 40-year history versus 120-years for the traditional powers.

People that cannot gain acceptance to UVA, MIT and/or Columbia will apply to Yale because it looks great on paper.

A 690 GMAT is top 15% of the country; whereas, a 790 GMAT is top 3%................

Yale is a 2nd tier MBA.

I NEVER said that.

Yale, Princeton, Harvard and Stanford are the Country's best UNDERGRADUATE schools.

Yale MBA is second tier. It has a 40-year history versus 120-years for the traditional powers.

People that cannot gain acceptance to UVA, MIT and/or Columbia will apply to Yale because it looks great on paper.

A 690 GMAT is top 15% of the country; whereas, a 790 GMAT is top 3%................

Yale is a 2nd tier MBA.

The GMAT only goes up to 800. There isn't a university on the planet that has a student body that averaged a 790. I let it go the first time you typed this, because I figured it was a typo.

A 790 is top 0.000....1%. Even my measly 760 is easily top 1%.

I don’t need to work any harder for my heirs, who I’m basically working for now.

If you want to get into a net worth plssing contest, I guarantee you lose.

I’m sorry you don’t actually have a Yale MBA because you had me going there for a while.

Only a fool and liar would turn down a few hundred to the charity of their choice.

For someone who has as much money as you claim to have, you don't seem to have many ivy league grads in your circle. It's like you're amazed and in disbelief that people in this world do actually go to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.

IDK what to tell you, bud. Get out and see the world a little more.

Advertisement
The GMAT only goes up to 800. There isn't a university on the planet that has a student body that averaged a 790. I let it go the first time you typed this, because I figured it was a typo.

A 790 is top 0.000....1%. Even my measly 760 is easily top 1%.

Wharton has night school, weekend school, Health Masters with a dual Wharton degree, a campus in SF, another now in Miami. People participate in these programs in order to say that they "went to Wharton", but they did not attend a top "program".

People attend Yale because they think that the name sounds elite.

Yale MBA has a 40-year history. You cannot bridge that 80-year gap. They founded Tuck in 1900........ UVA in 1955. MIT in 1914. Kellogg in 1908. Wharton in 1881. Harvard in 1908. Yale in........... 1980......

Yale is a 2nd tier MBA program trying to generate revenue from its name...

Wharton has night school, weekend school, Health Masters with a dual Wharton degree, a campus in SF, another now in Miami. People participate in these programs in order to say that they "went to Wharton", but they did not attend a top "program".

Yale MBA has a 40-year history. You cannot bridge that 80-year gap. They founded Tuck in 1900........ UVA in 1955. MIT in 1914. Kellogg in 1908. Wharton in 1881. Harvard in 1908. Yale in........... 1980......

Yep, Yale sucks. Great argument.

Oh, and Wharton has 2 campuses - Philly and San Francisco.

Advertisement
For someone who has as much money as you claim to have, you don't seem to have many ivy league grads in your circle. It's like you're amazed and in disbelief that people in this world do actually go to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.

IDK what to tell you, bud. Get out and see the world a little more.

No they’re not in my circle.

But I do have some that work for me.

Also, I only claim to have more than you. I already know that for a fact.

Now do the right thing and let’s get that $300 to a charity.

Yep, Yale sucks. Great argument.

Its MBA attracts second or third tier students. Goldman, McKinsey, P&G, JnJ, Facebook, Google, Apple, Amazon and Disney do not interview Yale MBAs because they know that the Yale MBA is a source of revenue and not a traditional MBA program.

Where did you obtain your undergraduate degree?

If I am going to invest in an MBA program, am going to make sure that it has at minimum an 80-year history, not 40... Also, MBA involves learning from your peers and do you really wish to learn from colleagues that are applying to a "name" rather than a "program".

You need to debate with the best, not with those seeking the "easy way out".

GTech has a MUCH better MBA than Yale, due to GTech's focus on Analytics.... 690 average GMAT is paltry and reflective of Yale's students.

Its MBA attracts second or third tier students. Goldman, McKinsey, P&G, JnJ, Facebook, Google, Apple, Amazon and Disney do not interview Yale MBAs because they know that the Yale MBA is a source of revenue and not a traditional MBA program.

Where did you obtain your undergraduate degree?

If I am going to invest in an MBA program, am going to make sure that it has at minimum an 80-year history, not 40... Also, MBA involves learning from your peers and do you really wish to learn from colleagues that are applying to a "name" rather than a "program".

You need to debate with the best, not with those seeking the "easy way out".

GTech has a MUCH better MBA than Yale, due to GTech's focus on Analytics.... 690 average GMAT is paltry and reflective of Yale's students.

I got my undergrad at Miami. Hence why I'm here on this board.

Advertisement
Back