Stadium

Advertisement
Exactly ! Why do we need another stadium? It would be a monumental waste of money.

Never understand why people state their own personal thoughts as absolutes.

If it's such a monumental waste of money, why did UCF do it and USF is trying to do it?

There are lots of advantages, some monetary, and some control-oriented. Either build a "satellite campus" with UM fundraising money or let the City of Miami do it and use it for concerts and events.

If UM builds it, then you could build a wing of the Med School that focuses on sports injuries. Or the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.

Think big, guys. No more "there's no land" or "it costs money". That used to be the argument against the IPF.

No, I did a horrible job of staging my original post lol. I know this has been an extensively discussed topic, and seeing how political getting a stadium is and us now having a coach who has political ties to (possibly) get this done, is this something anybody even wants anymore? I gave the anecdote about going to the game at Hard Rock because I personally don't see the need to leave. I really f*cked this one up lol.

Our stadium now is great, since the renovations... is it the orange bowl? NO ... will any stadium ever be better than the orange bowl? NO ... but since the roof enclosure our stadium has been lit on big games!

Is it the orange bowl? Of course it isn't.. It's way better. What made the mystic of the Orange Bowl so great where the great teams that played there. Not the metal bleachers or the crappy bathrooms. If the current team wins people who still hold the OB dear to their hearts will come around. A Notre Dame player was quoted saying that the Hard Rock was the loudest venue he was ever in.

Be like Elsa and Let It Go..

This stadium talk is so depressing.
We should have our own stadium.
But we aren't getting it.

Better solution for now is a better transit network to the stadium.
And make it our own

Advertisement
There is no other off-campus location that would be more successful more entertaining and a better atmosphere than the current atmosphere at hard rock Stadium. To build anything off campus that would be comparable would be too expensive.

And make it our own

Why aren't we getting it? Because we don't try? Or we cut off conversation about it?

So we are supposed to wait for Miami-Dade to keep yapping about the MetroRail extension to the county line? And the years it will take? And the massive amount of money involved?

Retail is getting crushed. Shopping centers are standing vacant. Entire malls are going under. Plenty of land available.

And make it our own
Canes home games & Dolphins home games are night and day

Advertisement
Why aren't we getting it? Because we don't try? Or we cut off conversation about it?

So we are supposed to wait for Miami-Dade to keep yapping about the MetroRail extension to the county line? And the years it will take? And the massive amount of money involved?

Retail is getting crushed. Shopping centers are standing vacant. Entire malls are going under. Plenty of land available.

That's another NIMBY conversation to be held on another board. APTA and DOT funding has been cut by the federal gov't. And we know how NIMBY folk can be.

Every other major college football program has a stadium to call their own, but our beaten-down fans will neg anyone who suggests we might look in to getting one.

You’re like a bunch of battered wives.

Hard Rock might be decent, but come on. It’s not the same as having your own stadium.

These threads are so predictable.

Next the amateur finance gurus will weigh in. “Oh Coral Gables is too expensive, they would never allow it, blah blah blah”

As if Coral Gables, or Miami in general, is somehow this vast urban metropolis with an iron grip on the university.

Meanwhile, we just spent hundreds of millions of dollars upgrading the student dorms....which pretty much invalidates every argument ever made about why we can’t have a stadium.

If it's such a monumental waste of money, why did UCF do it and USF is trying to do it?

There are lots of advantages, some monetary, and some control-oriented. Either build a "satellite campus" with UM fundraising money or let the City of Miami do it and use it for concerts and events.

If UM builds it, then you could build a wing of the Med School that focuses on sports injuries. Or the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.

Think big, guys. No more "there's no land" or "it costs money". That used to be the argument against the IPF.

Oh, come on. You're comparing the land/money it takes to build a stadium, not to mention the city approval process, to building the IPF?
And you're comparing our situation with UCF, which played in a dilapidated stadium and couldn't reach an agreement with the owners to make necessary changes, but has a massive amount of land on their own campus and proper ingress/egress infrastructure?

Get outta here, man.

Advertisement
Is it the orange bowl? Of course it isn't.. It's way better. What made the mystic of the Orange Bowl so great where the great teams that played there. Not the metal bleachers or the crappy bathrooms. If the current team wins people who still hold the OB dear to their hearts will come around. A Notre Dame player was quoted saying that the Hard Rock was the loudest venue he was ever in.

Be like Elsa and Let It Go..

orange bowl would SHAKEEEEEEEEEEE and was beyond LOUDDDDD

For one game. For one game.

It is still not very well suited for college football, far from campus, diminishing parking, etc. I don't hate it. But if we had a place of our own, it would be better.

Look, we can sit around and claim that this "can never happen". But it could. There is available land.

I would also point out that the ON-CAMPUS stadium for UCF also hosts a bowl game and a new AAF pro football team.

So there is a shot to generate revenue beyond the 6 games that UM would play there.

Can you please explain what you mean by diminishing parking?

The average person on this board works 9 to 5 at the local Shake Shack, cleaning the grease racks. The other half are middle managers at a jet ski rental hut.

Asking them to think big is asking too much.

Besides, our fanbase as a whole act like a bunch of battered wives. Somewhere, sometime, Donna Shalala floated the idea that we don’t have any money, and that we can never get the city to allow a stadium.

She got us to like Hard Rock the way your mom got you to eat your peas.

There’s no doubt we could build a stadium if the will were there. And frankly, it’s ridiculous that a program of Miami’s stature doesn’t already have one.

Advertisement
I know I know, we've heard this a thousand times...

But, with Manny's dad being the former Mayor of Miami, do you all think, with some success, that Manny has a greater chance of getting a stadium built due to his apparent stronger political pull in Miami? I went to the Notre Dame game in 2017 and Hard Rock competed with every college stadium I've been to in terms of atmosphere (last Miami game I went to was in Sun Life with ~25,000 people there). Would you all prefer a stadium in, say Tropical Park or keep playing at Hard Rock?
imagesUMJC9DV4.jpg

It doesn't matter how much pull the Diaz family may have. Unless we think of building a stadium in Homestead or the Redlands as an upgrade over our current situation, there's just no room anywhere.

Our fans need to let the whole stadium thing go. We play in a just-upgraded pro stadium that now has a pretty insane atmosphere when the crowd is into the game. It even keeps most of us dry when it rains. How far is it from campus to the stadium, 15-20 miles? Not that terrible, especially on Saturday....people act like it's a 4 hour drive. Granted, the Thursday games suck because of our rush hour traffic, and I wish we wouldn't have any, but that's my only complaint about the stadium.

Miami is not even in the top 5 as far as metro areas in the US, and it’s not even in the top 20 as far as population density.

New York was trying to get the Giants to move back to the city, and they were trying to build olympic stadiums right in NYC.

Some of you guys are totally clueless and delusional.

There’s plenty of room in Miami for a stadium.

Ive had season tickets for over 20 years, nothing will ever compare to the OB...

And again, I will ask you what made the OB so great? Was it the peeling paint, the aroma that came from the bathrooms? The 70 year old ladies yelling No Pakin as you drove by?

Or was it the 58 game home winning streak? The titles that were won on that field?

If the canes were to win in a similar fashion at Hard Rock those same type of 'feels' would come back.

You can't tell me that when Bandy returned that pick against ND that you sat there and said, 'This ain't sh*t'

Advertisement
Back